What would you class as a decent salary?

Hmm, perhaps things are different here in USA (Los Angeles area), but to me, a decent salary as a single person would be about $50k, and for a couple, at least $75k. We don't live lavishly, but we're comfortable and still conscious about about how much we spend on outings and eating out.

My dh earns about £45k as a teacher - I'd class that a decent salary - we can pay a mortgage, bills, have a car, nursery fees, petrol and food.

My salary is £27 pro rata - I work three days so really it's about 18.5k - I'd struggle to live on that.

It depends on where you live and what you do... And what is a good salary for your job.

I'' a corporate lawyer and won't take anything less than £120k as a salary, and expect it to get a lot bigger in the next 5 years. I certainy wouldn't go do long hours in a high street law firm for 30k, it may sound snobby but I worked hard to get where I am and now would consider under 6 figures derisible.

My OH is in sales and brings home around £50-60k - we'd very much struggle if that was our total take home.

Wow I feel really poor haha I get about 10k plus overtime, OH is not in a job atm.

I honestly wish i had worked harder at my education so we could be bringing home 100k lol.
Only my oh works though, and he brings in 22k a year, where we live that is considered good, alot of my friends don't make that with two people working. We think it is OKAY for our age.. (early twenties) but realistically it isn't much money is it, we can't for example buy a house! I think the issue we have is we want to move down south west, where 22k would be literally pennies. Also i suppose we like "nice" things, so we spend alot of money on techy stuff etc

Wow that some people say they'd struggle on a 50/60k combined income? I know home prices etc vary but wow...

I'm a sahm, my husband in the army earns about 26k, we live well on that and manage to save abit every month, but then we do have cheap right and benefits being here. When we move to the UK I think we'd need about that to pay house, bills etc and still have a life.

x

Wow that some people say they'd struggle on a 50/60k combined income? I know home prices etc vary but wow...

Yah I find this hard to wrap my head around too.

My OH very much believes we "struggle" at around 55k (pounds), which to me, is a lot of money. It's because he considers not having 2 cars a struggle, not having a 3-4 bedroom house a struggle, not being able to spend 1k on fitness equipment every 3 months a struggle... hmmmmmm. So, perspectives I suppose. I don't agree but he is what he is, LOL.

I think the ideal wage is always a little bit more than what we have.

I think people stretch to what they can afford, because you always want that little bit more don't you ?

For me a good salary would be considerably more than that. We both spent a lot of years in further education and developing our careers so that shapes my view too. I really would find £20k a struggle if I am being honest.

I would be interested to know the average age of this survey :) because i think that is also quite important

I'm 28, but trained in the City of London where salaries are very high... As is the workload.

I'm 28 too my OH is 34. I find that £24k is a reasonable salary, I could live off it...

but I would expect at least twice more (£40k for me and £52k minimum for OH) so about £100k joint (if I was working but I'm not). We both have careers that pay higher than the average so I wouldn't settle for less unless I was unemployed (I'm one that doesn't mind working fast food in the meantime!)

Wow.
OH earns about 17 grand and we cope fine.
I wish he earnt anything over 20k!

I think that $60-$70k is decent here, which is £40-£45k.

OH makes $60, or £40K (roughly) and I make just under £10K - NORMALLY -

This year I was in an accident and off work for 4 months so far and still am not back to full time, combination of needing time off and being moved to a store where the hours aren't available. It's definitely been a struggle, because of course I have more expenses (psychologist, travel to appointments and childcare add up). Our daughter also starts preschool ($100/month roughly plus snacks etc) and we're having to budget that on even less money.

ETA my OH is 24, I turn 23 next month.

OH earns £8K a year, I'm a SAHM. Can't find/get any work either :( xx

Hubby gets £30K i get £16k we are struggling to save ATM as we cant seem to catch a break.
I do wish i worked harder at my education, but i am planning to do OU once Bambino is here

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->