What would you do.... dilemma on where to have baby

mamawannabe

Reaction score
Hello ladies, I have a bit of a dilemma and just wondered what others would do.

I have chosen to have my baby in a midwife led unit which is gorgeous with dimmer switches, bean bags, en-suite, music etc etc. However, I have now found out that I cannot have an epidural if necessary and would need to be transferred 35 mins by ambulance to the closest consultant led hospital to have this. I have always said whilst I do not definitely know I want an epidural I think i would find labour easier knowing this is always an option if necessary as I dont want to feel cornered into not having any more options once I have had the gas and air and pethidine.

So, do I have my baby in a place I really dont want to but with all pain relief options available to me or have the baby where I really want to but limit the pain relief options???? aarrrgghh!!!

Hi! Im also from Shropshire and in same position!! Im down for PRH Telford but am wondering wether i should just go straight to Shrewsbury for the same reasons as you!! x

well its a small world! I am also down for PRH but considering Shrewsbury. The only thing is though, personally, I really do not like Shrewsbury as I found it very clinical and I was restricted with being allowed armoatherapy and music. Wrekin maternity unit just seemed so much cleaner and relaxed and non-clinical. I start parent craft tomorrow at Wrekin so I might ask a few more questions there.

I'm planning our delivery at a similar birth center with no access to epidurals - I'd have to transfer if I want one, and personally, I like that.

Remember that a lot of women who tell you you will want/need an epidural are ones who had a traditional delivery where they were made to stay in bed, on their backs, had no access to water, didn't have a midwife or doula for support, weren't allowed to eat or drink, etc. I'd be BEGGING for pain relief in that situation especially! Even just having solid support through transition can make all the difference between actually wanting an epidural, and forgetting that they exist. My best friend had a natural birth, and said that with all the support she had from her doula, etc. the thought of an epidural never crossed her mind (and she was in a hospital where she could have had one in 2 minutes!)

At your birth center, you *should* have loads of support to help you with pain management that can be as effective as an epidural - inlcluding the ability to hydrate, walk, sit on a stool or chair or ball, and sit in warm water. Ultimately the outcome of a natural birth will be easier on you and the baby. And a 30 minute transfer may be NO fun at all, but the option to get an epidural is still technically there :) Also, epidurals don't take all the pain/pressure away. . .just dull it.

I'd stay at the birth center if I were you. . .and do a lot of reading to mentally prepare yourself! If you haven't yet, try Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth, don't read negative/scary birth stories, and learn relaxation techniques.

There is a REASON you chose the birth center on your first instinct and want to have your baby there, I say trust yourself :)

I'm planning our delivery at a similar birth center with no access to epidurals - I'd have to transfer if I want one, and personally, I like that.

Remember that a lot of women who tell you you will want/need an epidural are ones who had a traditional delivery where they were made to stay in bed, on their backs, had no access to water, didn't have a midwife or doula for support, weren't allowed to eat or drink, etc. I'd be BEGGING for pain relief in that situation especially! Even just having solid support through transition can make all the difference between actually wanting an epidural, and forgetting that they exist. My best friend had a natural birth, and said that with all the support she had from her doula, etc. the thought of an epidural never crossed her mind (and she was in a hospital where she could have had one in 2 minutes!)

At your birth center, you *should* have loads of support to help you with pain management that can be as effective as an epidural - inlcluding the ability to hydrate, walk, sit on a stool or chair or ball, and sit in warm water. Ultimately the outcome of a natural birth will be easier on you and the baby. And a 30 minute transfer may be NO fun at all, but the option to get an epidural is still technically there :) Also, epidurals don't take all the pain/pressure away. . .just dull it.

I'd stay at the birth center if I were you. . .and do a lot of reading to mentally prepare yourself! If you haven't yet, try Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth, don't read negative/scary birth stories, and learn relaxation techniques.

There is a REASON you chose the birth center on your first instinct and want to have your baby there, I say trust yourself :)

Thank you so much for your fantastic advice I found it really helpful. I have alreadty started looking into relaxation techniques to try and prepare my mind more rather than just thinking about relying on medical pain relief interventions.

I think you are quite right in what you say about consultant led units in that sometimes they might take a more clinical approach which could feel restrictive in itself. I guess I need to have a bit more belief in myself :thumbup:

I had my baby at my local birthing centre and like you my hospital was about 40 minutes away. I was a bit worried about not having the choice of epidural but you can always transfer if you need to.

In the end i had my baby with NO pain relief at all! I really believe it was down to the fact i was allowed to move around. I spent the whole time pacing up and down because i couldnt sit or lie down, it hurt too much. Because of this the midwifes didnt make me have an internal until i said i needed to push. They also followed me round the room or waited until the contraction had gone before doing my pulse and blood pressure. After i'd had him i wasn't rushed out of the room. We lay there and had skin to skin for about an hour and then they stitched me up and i was allowed a bath. I also got tea and toast with about 5 different jams :haha:

It was so laid back and relaxed there, it was the best experience ever. I would do it again!

A tip for coping with the contractions is to keep as calm as possible. I just kept thinking in my mind that the contraction would pass and then it would stop hurting. If you keep breathing it makes it much easier to cope with. My contractions were 2-3 minutes right from the start so it was pretty intense!

Good advice ^ ^

I also feel the same about shrews, also my parents live right down the road from PRH so i think it wins =D

Good advice ^ ^

I also feel the same about shrews, also my parents live right down the road from PRH so i think it wins =D

Yep, I think we should both be brave and go for it :happydance:. Plus, you are due before me so maybe you could let me know your experiences... sorry to use you as a guinea pig!!! :winkwink:

You are lucky to have your parents so close. I dont have any family up here as they all live in Devon and my DH parents are in Ireland! My mum is hoping to be at the birth to give my husband a bit of support in case he needs it (as well as me of course!) and so we have to ring her when I go into labour so she start the 3 hour journey up the M5. Lets hope I dont get any false alarms!

Good luck to you x

I had my baby at my local birthing centre and like you my hospital was about 40 minutes away. I was a bit worried about not having the choice of epidural but you can always transfer if you need to.

In the end i had my baby with NO pain relief at all! I really believe it was down to the fact i was allowed to move around. I spent the whole time pacing up and down because i couldnt sit or lie down, it hurt too much. Because of this the midwifes didnt make me have an internal until i said i needed to push. They also followed me round the room or waited until the contraction had gone before doing my pulse and blood pressure. After i'd had him i wasn't rushed out of the room. We lay there and had skin to skin for about an hour and then they stitched me up and i was allowed a bath. I also got tea and toast with about 5 different jams :haha:

It was so laid back and relaxed there, it was the best experience ever. I would do it again!

A tip for coping with the contractions is to keep as calm as possible. I just kept thinking in my mind that the contraction would pass and then it would stop hurting. If you keep breathing it makes it much easier to cope with. My contractions were 2-3 minutes right from the start so it was pretty intense!

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go for it and have a bit more confidence in myself. I am going to have practising staying calm as I am the worst worryier ever and also a bit of a control freak so I have to learn that my body is going to have to take control and I am just goping to have to go with it!

hehe, no problem =p ill try and remember!
Im hoping not to have to stay in too long, i dont like it that the visiting times arent very long, im scared of being on my own:blush:

hehe, no problem =p ill try and remember!
Im hoping not to have to stay in too long, i dont like it that the visiting times arent very long, im scared of being on my own:blush:

Awe, dont be scared hun. There will be other new mums in there with you who will be in exactly the same boat. They say you can meet some of your closest friends at the hospital after giving birth. Hopefully you wont be in their too long xx

Thank you =] i know its silly but im dreading that more than the actualy labour haha! x

I have a similar worry, but at least my birthing centre is only the floor above the labour ward, so not so far for transfer.

What I am intending to do is to see how bad the pain is before I actually go in to the hospital - if it is so bad that I think I will want an epidural, I will just book in to labour ward instead. May be worth seeing if that would be an option for you so at least if you felt like you wanted one before you got to the birthing centre, you could just go straight to the hospital instead.

im shropshire to. I have to give birth at shrewsbury as im high risk. I think the midwife unit that your going to sounds lovely. The midwife unit will be trained to help and encourage you through labour.

Good luck with your decisions ladies!

I lived in Telford when I was tiny and my brother was born in Shrews as there were no options in Telford at the time!

The hospital took my bro away from my mum and gave him a bottle! :hissy: She was not happy! :haha:

I'm sure things are better these days, but it was just funny to hear what options have been built in Telford in the last 30 years!

xXx

I'm sure things are better these days, but it was just funny to hear what options have been built in Telford in the last 30 years!

xXx

^ ^ not alot =p haha!

I was born at shrew and they didnt believe i was coming until my mom was fully dilated and then had to rush her down to delvery in a wheel chair! And my sister was born there (5 years before me) and they took her away from my mom and didnt tell her where she was and my mom was clueless being a first time mom and my sister didnt get fed until the next day and then they shouted at her haha!! :thumbup:

i'm glad you have decided to go for it and believe in yourself and your body :thumbup:

it was 2 months after i turned 17 when i had my first dd at the local midwife led maternity unit and an epidural didnt enter my mind, i couldnt have one and that was the way it was. i did have pethidine and gas & air and i gave birth to an 8lb.5oz girl with only a graze.
My 2nd dd was born at the same place when i was 18, (i begged for a csection during transition lol).but again managed to birth a girl who was only half an ounce off 9lb with nothing but gas & air for contractions and nothing at all for pushing. i came away with a small tear that didnt require stitches :thumbup:

i believe in my body and i know i CAN do it myself. An epi would never be on the cards weather i was in a hospital or not. i feel proud knowing i did it without an epidural and i think maybe if you know it's there for the taking it may make you more inclined to take it when you dont NEED it.
You will feel so good holding you baby knowing you done it in the place you wanted, to the music you wanted in the calm surroundings you wanted. :thumbup:

YOU GO GIRL!!!

i'm glad you have decided to go for it and believe in yourself and your body :thumbup:

it was 2 months after i turned 17 when i had my first dd at the local midwife led maternity unit and an epidural didnt enter my mind, i couldnt have one and that was the way it was. i did have pethidine and gas & air and i gave birth to an 8lb.5oz girl with only a graze.
My 2nd dd was born at the same place when i was 18, (i begged for a csection during transition lol).but again managed to birth a girl who was only half an ounce off 9lb with nothing but gas & air for contractions and nothing at all for pushing. i came away with a small tear that didnt require stitches :thumbup:

i believe in my body and i know i CAN do it myself. An epi would never be on the cards weather i was in a hospital or not. i feel proud knowing i did it without an epidural and i think maybe if you know it's there for the taking it may make you more inclined to take it when you dont NEED it.
You will feel so good holding you baby knowing you done it in the place you wanted, to the music you wanted in the calm surroundings you wanted. :thumbup:

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Yay, thank you for the encouragement ! I feel quite empowered going for it - lets just hope I can keep the positive thinking!!!

Wow, you did really wellwith your birhs. Lets hope my labour is as successful as your two

xx

Hi ladies! I have noting to add to the above (awesome) responses, I'm only sticking my head in, becasue - I'm in Shrewsbury too! It is a small world! :)

Ive had all 3 of my babies so far in Shrewsbury hospital, they have been brilliant with me, not once have i had the epidural, i have managed with gas and air.

This time im hopefully gonna be able to have my baby in my home town of Newtown, which is just a birth centre, but i know if things get tough they will whisk me off to shrewsbury by ambulance.

Wow seems strange coming all the way through pregnancy and finding out we are not that far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->