What Would You Give Up?

Lightworker

Reaction score
I hope this hasn't been asked before if so, sorry. Was just wondering at the state of the world's children all over the world. I was thinking that if the more affluent people gave up some of their salaries, surely it could balance out and ensure at least every child had food, shelter etc (I appreciate that this is an oversimplified view given other factors eg govts.) but if it would work, how much do you think you could give up? Your car, annual holiday?

Its a tough one because its all about what the eye cant see.. I feel for children who are homeless and in need of food and water but I am here to provide my children with the best start and life that I can. I have barely any money at the end of the month left over as it is and I give to charities whenever I can. I also couldnt give up my car. For me its needed, I work, twins go to nursery, It makes life easier for me. I dont take annual holidays. I usually go every 2 years.
So I suppose the answer to your question is not very much.

I could give up my cell phone's extras. Like texting, data plan, all that. I'd need the basic phone part because it's our only means of contact with family back home. But that would be about $100 extra a month that I could give. We couldn't give up our vehicle because DH has to get to work. And I could give up our netflix subscription which is $10 a month. :D The rest is pretty necessary. I wouldn't give up my internet bc it's the only way Emma sees her grandparents(through skype).

Well, right now we've more debt than money and don't buy much of anything :blush: but when I was living with my folks and working, my mom and I put our coffee fund into sponsoring a child through World Vision instead. And this Christmas, my DH and I chose not to buy each other big gifts so we could afford to pick a child's name off the Giving Tree and buy him a nice gift instead.

I would love to start doing more again, but we're a charity case ourselves right now :dohh:. All in good time I hope!

What if you could give up your time instead of money?
Like volunteering a few a hours a week to help run an overseas aid agency, for example.
I definitely could and should give more money-wise. I need to budget it in, though.
But I do volunteer and that counts for something! :)

at the moment i guess i could give up my car, but once im back at work i will need it. I havnt had a proper holiday in about 10years, my last 'holiday' was in the winter, 3nights, £75 in Illfracombe! (still in the uk for those that dont know) after rent and bills i dont have much left so really i dont have anything i could give

I would volunteer in a heartbeat if I could take Emma along! :D I wonder if I could find a place that would allow that.

I do give to charity already. It's not a big percentage of my income by any means but then we are unlikely to be able to make ends meet whilst I'm on leave. I dunno. I hate thinking about it because I should give up everything but the reality is that it's difficult. My struggling for money is nothing like the struggling for money people in real poverty face which makes me feel guilty. But it doesn't change the fact that if I can't pay the bills I can't pay the bills. :(

I have done volunteering but not for a child relevant organization. But I do think volunteering is very important.

Thanks for your responses ladies. I personally dont have any money left after outgoings which is the bare necessities, so couldn't give cash. I like the idea of volunteering,I currently do it for BFing moms but would like to work with an aid agency but as Cleckner said, its difficult with LO. I was just pondering that when I am rich, I would find it hard to rest knowing there's a child starving out there. I wish there was more we could do as moms to help, I am going to think of ideas lol watch this space.

When you're rich? lol

If I am ever rich am I sure to give lots of money to charity. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't.

Id love to volunteer, especially to help homeless people but they make it soooo hard to get involved :shrug:

I currently donate quite a bit to charity, although it does mean i have to struggle a little more. I sponsor 2 children through actionaid and world vision. I also have a standing order to the national deaf children's society. I always put any change under a pound in the charity pot in a shop and buy the big issue. I know i could do more though. I want to give up smoking and donate half what i save, and i will hopefully get a better deal on my mobile when i renew my contract and that will be donated to.

When i go back to work i take a day a month to work in the community, whether that is picking up litter or painting a women's refuge. Hopefully i can find something i can do in my own time with albert as i'll only be working 3 days a week. I was thinking of helping out in care homes and the residents might like to have a baby to interract with but i'm not sure yet!

I wouldn't give up anything that I have worked hard for. I think it's very sad that other children live in poverty but I need to provide for and worry about my own child and family. What makes someone else's child more deserving of my money than my own child?

I wouldn't give up anything that I have worked hard for. I think it's very sad that other children live in poverty but I need to provide for and worry about my own child and family. What makes someone else's child more deserving of my money than my own child?

The fact that they were born without the same privileges?

I know i would rather provide food for a starving child than a pair of designer shoes that will last two minutes for my child. I'd also like to think that if i was ever in a desperate situation somsomeone would offer to help me, in whatever small way they could. How could i hope for that but not ever help someone else?

PB, what volunteering do you advertise on do it?

The fact that they were born without the same privileges?

No, that doesn't make someone more deserving than me of my own money. That makes them less fortunate, but not more deserving. Why should I take my hard earned money to help everyone around me when I am struggling to help myself? The bum on the street is not more deserving of my money than I am. My DH and I work our asses off daily for our money. My DH joined the Army and will be risking his own life for our family. So you are telling me I should use that money he made fighting in Afganistan and give it to someone else's child that I don't know? I don't think so. It will be going to better our lives and our children's lives. Maybe the parents of that child living in poverty should get up and go risk their lives to support their own children. If you are going to have a child in the first place you should be doing everything in your power to support that child.

I know i would rather provide food for a starving child than a pair of designer shoes that will last two minutes for my child. I'd also like to think that if i was ever in a desperate situation somsomeone would offer to help me, in whatever small way they could. How could i hope for that but not ever help someone else?

PB, what volunteering do you advertise on do it?

You really think I have enough money to buy a pair of designer shoes? I never ever would put faith in someone else to help me. I only rely on myself and my husband because that's the only 2 people I know I can depend on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->