What You Need for a Homebirth

kiwimama

Soon to be family of 4!
Reaction score
We all know we have to pack our bags and have it ready to go to the hospital when labour begins, but when your having a homebirth, of course, you don't need to pack a bag! :thumbup: But what types of things do you need when you have a homebirth, things that you would need to go out and get in advance that you probably wouldn't already have at home? :flower:

I think over all most things are common around the house things.

-A large plastic container for the placenta
-A bowl for warm wash cloths (for perineum)
-Face cloths
-Flash Light
-Water bottle or heating pad to warm receiving blankets for baby
-Space heater to warm up area for baby afterwards
-Flat hard surface to set up resus station
-Towels to wipe off baby
-Towels to dry off you (if you're planning on getting into water)
-garbage bags
-menstrual pads (best to get the soft cotton ones as opposed to the stay dry plastic liner ones like "Always" because Always always makes perineal healing slower as it irritates the area.
-hydrogen peroxide (awesome at getting out blood)
-postpartum pain medication (eg tylonal and ibuprofen)
-olive oil (for perineal massage if desired)
-Ice pack for postpartum (poor water or witch hazel on maxi pads and put them in the freezer before hand). Bag of frozen peas or corn also works.
-Water bottle with squirt top - peeing is so much easier at first when you spray the area with warm water.
-Some easy to digest snacks for energy
-Drinks like gatorade
-Shower curtain or plastic table cloth to make bed... make your bed nicely... then put the plastic cover on top and make your bed again... The top layer will likely get dirty if that is where you have the baby... after the birth the midwife will just take the first layer off with the plastic sheet and throw it in the laundry and underneath is a nicely made bed waiting for you!

i would also pack a hospital bag too incase you have to transfer. ive packed a case with clothes pads blanket for the baby hair bands all those bits and bobs so that either when the time comes everything is in one place in the corner of the room and it can just be zipped up and taken to hosp with me if for any reason we need to go so that i can at least get into clean clothes at the end of it all!

Yes, i though that too - better to have a hospital bag just in case as in an emergency you wont have time to get your stuff together.

-menstrual pads (best to get the soft cotton ones as opposed to the stay dry plastic liner ones like "Always" because Always always makes perineal healing slower as it irritates the area.

What a nice tip! I'll birth in a hospital but I hadn't thought about how the pads should be other than supper absorbent. :)

What a nice tip! I'll birth in a hospital but I hadn't thought about how the pads should be other than supper absorbent. :)

Long is always good!!!

better to have a hospital bag just in case as in an emergency you wont have time to get your stuff together.

I will second this as far most the best advise - i was booked for homebirth and it went wrong. I only needed one or 2 bits to get together when my ambulance arrived when i had to be transferred in an emergency. Sometimes what seems to be an smooth labour isn't all it appears.

Sorry to hijack - just wanted to share my opinion :hugs:

xxx

im hoping for my 2nd homebirth ... heres what i have listed;
(i dont know if the hb procedure is diff in new zealand but over here the midwifes bring a huge box full of everything they need over at 36weeks inc all those big square absorbant pads etc - and everything else they need gets brought on the day)

this is based on giving birth in my lounge (haha) i like to be upright and never been laying down for any of my others - so if you plan to have baby in bed then may be slightly diff (bedding etc)

definate must to have emergency bag packed - exactly as if you were having hosp birth
large waterproof sheet - i used a diy one cheap from diy store to cover floor
waterproof bed sheet - for covering sofa as well
old towels (usefull for everything lol)
old bed sheets - had one to cover sofa and one around me (until waters broke then it was all dignity out the window!)
flannels/lip balm/back heat pad/hairbands (id have these in hosp bag anyway!)
nappy, blankets and outfit for baby
pads/big knickers/breast pads/bra/clean towell and pjs all ready for me after birth!

the great thing is that everything that gets the slightest bit dirty gets taken away by midwifes at the end!! (except if its a blanket you want to keep or something lol)

oh and i laid all tea/coffee/drinks things out on the side for the midwifes to help their selves lol!

i cant think of anything more but if i do then i'll add it on :) hth xx

oh food for midwives too i was advised cause they dont often get a break

Just found out I am to have a homebirth, as you need to pay extra here if you want it anywhere else. I'm quite happy with it being at home, but havent got a chance to tell my boyfriends, who's house it is yet. I will consider getting everything on the list!

Really? Thought they would have bought their own food. Oh well, chocolate biscuits and tea it is! I'll have to buy tea specially, we don't drink hot drinks here ourselves.

Really? Thought they would have bought their own food. Oh well, chocolate biscuits and tea it is! I'll have to buy tea specially, we don't drink hot drinks here ourselves.

When I first started going to births I'd bring snacks.... Then I discovered that 9 out of 10 times I wouldn't actually have time to eat while there so I stopped bringing food! But it was always nice to have a cup of tea in the corner to sip on then forget about.... and a chocolate chip cookie on your way out the door :thumbup:

We always have chocolate in my house - they won't go hungry, that's for sure! :lol:

Midwives (atleast midwifery students) like chocolate covered almonds, chocolate chip cookies and tea :thumbup:

i brought bacon for sandwiches, nice biscuits and two extra boxes of tea bags and a cake (birthday cake)lol

Make the cake yourself!!! I have at theory that baking puts people into labour.... EVERY home birth I've attended the counters have been full of baked goods.... and a friend of mine made a birthday cake for her little one a week past her due date and 40 minutes after it finished baking she was holding her baby in her arms!

Midwives (atleast midwifery students) like chocolate covered almonds, chocolate chip cookies and tea :thumbup:

i brought bacon for sandwiches, nice biscuits and two extra boxes of tea bags and a cake (birthday cake)lol

Make the cake yourself!!! I have at theory that baking puts people into labour.... EVERY home birth I've attended the counters have been full of baked goods.... and a friend of mine made a birthday cake for her little one a week past her due date and 40 minutes after it finished baking she was holding her baby in her arms!

my oven is half broken at the moment it either cooks really high or really low depending on how it feels so its not very good for baking but i plan to TRY oven depending on making some cupcakes when things start to keep me upright and busy:happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->