what's all this about Tories taking away maternity support???

kirstylm

Reaction score
Ok, I don't really follow politics at all if I'm honest, I'v only ever voted once in my life but I read on a post something about if the Tories get into parliment they will take maternity support away?

What does this mean for us when we fall pregnant??

And from what I have heard, it seems Tories are favoured at the moment, but I could be wrong?

This is worrying, is it not? :nope:

I read it in the paper *searches for the paper* Apparently they want to make cuts to save the government money.. like reducing child benefits, cutting them off all together for those who earn over a certain wage etc etc..

Its scary, and yeah they are in the lead, I think the problem is once Britain starts to crumble and people are unhappy they move to another government without looking too throughly into the policies.. (not that I like politics at all!)

:( Wonder what will happen

God that is worrying especially for people that aren't on a great wage to start with! I was steering towards Tories just like you said, I dont really know anything about politics but I guess I was just going with the general feel!
Now Im all for Gordon!! I guess I should read up!

The Conservative government should NEVER be voted back into power in the UK, but its going to happen. What a mess they made last time, and yes they want to cut lots of benefits and maternity pay. Its not going to be good for the country, I just dont get how this governement can be voted in again, its insane. Have people got such short memories????

I'd like to cling on to the hope that they won't get back in. I have occasionally heard them ridiculed on their beloved Radio 4 so surely all is not completely lost?

The fact of the matter is that the Tories are anti-welfare so any kind of benefits that anyone gets will be chipped away at until there is all but none. The right wing stance is very capitalist with money making money and f*** the rest of you. Labour has done so so much to support people who are less well off in this country but all you hear about it the welfare system being taken advantage of, not the millions of people who are managing better as a consequence, not least Mums and Dads on maternity/paternity leave.

Back in 97 when Labour first got in the stat mat pay was about £20 for about 15 weeks or something. (I can't remember the exact figures, it's in my sister's preg book from the time). It's now 9 months paid and £120 a week plus 3 months unpaid. They would like to take it to a year paid but given the current climate that's had to go on a back burner. There was absolutely no paternity rights at all. All the rights for parental leave and flexible working also did not exist.

The Tories will do their best to get rid of all this support we get. Be warned!

The Conservative government should NEVER be voted back into power in the UK, but its going to happen. What a mess they made last time, and yes they want to cut lots of benefits and maternity pay. Its not going to be good for the country, I just dont get how this governement can be voted in again, its insane. Have people got such short memories????

People have very short memories and in the large part are entirely driven by the press the vast majority of which is right wing anyway so completely biased in that direction. Still, the US voted Bush in for a second term didn't they? There's no accounting for the stupidity of the populus!

It's awful for me though as we are in a hugely strong lib dem area so my vote will essentially count for nothing.

this is rubbish, i thought the tories liked maturnity rights and stuff as they're the ones pushing for longer maturnity and paternity leave!xxx

The Tories want people to think they will be pro benefits but experience shows they are not. It is not part of their ethos. They've already stated they will be cutting child tax credits and if they get into power that will only be the start.

I totally agree with people having short memories. A conservative government in this country again would be a travesty.

I don't think they take maternity support away.

i think once a government is longer 9too long) on the power they start to get not to the point again and it needs a change of government to get fresh ideas . I think they may shorten some stuff but \i don't think it is likely that whole maternity falls away.

I don't think they take maternity support away.

i think once a government is longer 9too long) on the power they start to get not to the point again and it needs a change of government to get fresh ideas . I think they may shorten some stuff but \i don't think it is likely that whole maternity falls away.

Not immediately no but given enough time we can be sure that those of us who are struggling will one way or another be much worse off.

Lets all remember, Torie policy always has and always will be, look after the rich, screw the rest of em. :growlmad:

I have just looked on their website and can't see anything to say this.

Has anyone got a link or anything to the story?

xxx

You can't find anything in the newspaper to say the Tories are right wing?

They're hardly going to advertise how crap they will be for us on their website, they're trying to win votes. Almost all the press is right wing now too so you won't get the truth in most papers. You only have to look at what they for the 18 years they were in power last time.

The child tax credits stuff must be on their site somewhere as it was put forward at the party conference. Family earnings over £50k will not get any benefits.

You can't find anything in the newspaper to say the Tories are right wing?

They're hardly going to advertise how crap they will be for us on their website, they're trying to win votes. Almost all the press is right wing now too so you won't get the truth in most papers. You only have to look at what they for the 18 years they were in power last time.

The child tax credits stuff must be on their site somewhere as it was put forward at the party conference. Family earnings over £50k will not get any benefits.

No, I didn't look in the newspaper as we don't have one and I cant find anything on their website and in their policy that says that they are going to cull or stop materinty benefits.

When I can read it for myself I will form an opinion but until then, as with everything, I will hold judgement.

I did see this though and can't see how this is a bad thing:

https://www.conservatives.com/Policy/Where_we_stand/Family.aspx

Politics is always one of those subjects which get heated and I am not saying I agree or disagree with the statement, I'd just like to read it before I say what I thought either way.

It was the Tories who wanted to increase our paid maternity pay from 9 months to a year, no? And makes this flexible between us and our partners? I'm not wholly convinced one way or the other

It was the Tories who wanted to increase our paid maternity pay from 9 months to a year, no? And makes this flexible between us and our partners? I'm not wholly convinced one way or the other

Yep, that was my thinking Boofs hence my question.

xxx

I've downloaded their social policy reform document from the website, and cant see anything about benefits being cut. They mention recognising marriage in benefit assessment, and stopping the couples penalty, but nothing about cuts

Like pops, I couldn't find it anywhere, which paper was it in girlies? It would be awful if they were and totally unfair, but the government are going to have to find ways to pay back this ridiculous debt some how. (Not that I believe removing Matt pay is the way to do it.)

I do know that once upon a time, the Tories talked about increasing the length of Maternity Pay, so it hasn't all been about bad agendas with them. They are going to curb tax credits for those earning OVER £50,000, anyone earning below that is completely entitled to Tax Credits. Do those earning over really, really need the extra money?

I think now-a-days, its so easy for the press to heat up and somewhat twist the words of Tories, Lib Dems and Labour.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this, as I don't think its fair to remove it, there are alot of people who depend on that money.

xx

yep you're right... Labour was opposed to it initially.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->