What's going on with Anti-biotics?

Reaction score
My 3yo has tonsilitis which was diagnosed on Tuesday but the nurse practitioner said they rarely prescribe anti-biotics for it anymore, sometimes even if they are full of puss :wacko: She checked his ears Friday and they were fine..
Well he's been running a temp all week and tonight he's been quite bad, complaining of an ear ache, so I rang the out of hours doc and he told me to take him in.. My OH has just got back from the out of hours doctors with LO and it turns out he's ear is a little red and infected but they still won't prescribe him anti-biotics? They said it should heal on it's own but if it does get worse in the night/following day take him back up there :shrug:

I can only presume GP's aren't prescribing until absolutely necassary anymore due to this resistance worry, I dunno :shrug:

x

There has been recent studies that show babies and toddlers that had antibiotics to often developed severe dental problems later on, I have seen a few sites and shows that have suddenly started making a big thing of it so maybe that has something to do with it.
I have always had problems with the enamle and colouring on my teeth and they are now telling me its because I had to have antibiotics a fair bit as a child because of differant birth defects, apparently having them too often in early age cause the teeth to be opaque and little enamle later on

That is true about the enamel, but I think its only 1 type that do that to developing enamel.

they mainly dont like giving them out because most things are viral which antibiotics do nothing for, also if its not very bad its good to build up their immune system so their bodys can fight the ilness.

Yes that is exactly true about letting your own bodies build up the antibodies to fight these things off.

I am a nurse practitioner and we do not prescribe unless we really have to as research shows alot of the illnesses resolve themselves with out the need for antibiotics.

Particularly ear infections - giving antibiotics made the illness shorter only by 6 hours opposed to no antibiotics.

Hope that helps

my LO has had tonsillitis this week and has been given anti bs.

i have had it 4 times this year and only been given them twice - it depends on what dr i see to whether i get anti biotics!

i used to have antibs every 2 week when i was younger (for tonsillitis, they still didnt take my bloody tonsils out!) and my teeth are perfect no fillings of anything :)

Also when LO was 5 weeks old he had ear infections in both ears and we had to go to a walk in centre and the dr there said they arnt allowed to prescribe anything for babies it had to be their dr that prescribed them or a pediatrition something to do with they can only diagnose not prescribe under a certain age.
We had to then take him to his dr the next day to get antibiotics for him, the only time hes ever had them.

Thanks Ladies..

I just thought it was a bit strange how they seem to be so reluctant to prescribe to him..

They wouldn't prescribe me for a uti a few weeks ago either until they got the results back (a week later), where as usually they would just give me Amoxycillin. Instead they gave me a three day supply of something else, Trimethroprim I think it was. Well it turned out I needed Amoxycillin anyway after that haha.

Last year my 8 year old had ear infections twice and both times got anti-biotics, Infact I don't think there's ever been a time when we haven't had them for ear infections tbh.

I read somewhere a while ago that Anti-biotics were becoming resistant to certain things so though maybe it had a link as to why they don't seem so willing to dish them out anymore that's all!

I'll just keep an eye on his ear as he seems to be complaining about it even more this eve.. Can see myself going back to the doctors again with him tomorrow :(

xx

sometimes i feel that antibioctics are needed.

LO has been ill with tonsilitis (i know how horrible it is) and he has been really ill with it - 3 doses of antibiotics and hes back to his normal self.

he usually has quite a strong immune system but i think sometimes they just need them! x

be sure to circumscribe the amount of sugars he takes in since he is prone to a yeast infection during this time.

took my little girl to the doctors a week ago with tonsilitis and she was given a prescription for antibiotics but told not to give them unless it seemed to get worse or not get better within a few days .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->