• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whats happened to "no family on beneits will be better off than a working family"!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ju_bubbs

Proud single Mummy of 5!
Reaction score
Excuse me ladies, I just need to rant about this!!!

The title is obviously a statement that was made my er.. I assume it was david cameron (im useless with politics) last week or the week before while I was sat watching the latest announcements of cuts and what not.

Now I can not understand how he can stand there and say, with a straight face, that no family on benefits will be better off than a working family!!!

Atm I live on my own with 3 children, I'm on income support, get child tax credit, and all of my rent/council tax paid. After all the esential bills are paid, leccy, gas, water, phone etc... I have just under 800 a month left over for groceries and anything else I need/want.

I have a boyfriend, we are currently discussing the idea of moving in together after LO is born so there will be 6 of us, opposed to the current 4.

OH works 50 hours a week and will bring home just over 1200 a month. When I work out income and outcome including housing/council tax benefit, child tax cred and child benefit, after all esential bills are paid each month we will be left with £900 each month for groceries etc.

So as a working family of 6, we will be £100 a month better off than my current non working family of 4. BUT, not only are there 2 extra people to feed/clothe out of that extra £100, we also wont be entitled to any working tax credit, which means will will also have to pay for prescriptions/dental work/opticians etc which I currently get free, on benefits.

Oh, and, once LO arrives, we will also bee needing to move to a bigger house as there is absolutely no where I can fit a baby in once she has to move into her cot (ive squeezed a moses basket into my bedroom, and my other childrens bedrooms dont even have wardrobes in them coz theres only room for their beds!)
Which means the rent bill will be going up, but.. we wont be entitled to any extra housing benefit!

Obvious answer would be obviously for me to go back to work aswell as OH, but after working out some quick figures of some minimum wage hours from me, and childcare we'd be in the red each month before even going to tesco!!!!

So bottom line is the only way I can afford to live is by not become a 'working family' but stay a family on benefits!! GRRRRR

Not to mention the fact that if OH quit his 50 hour/£300 a week job and started claiming jobseekers and moved in with me, we could aford to live with absolutely no problems!! it makes me absolutely sick!

:blush: sorry to anyone who bothered to read this, i really needed to get all that out! Obviously I would much rather go and say it all to the government, but I dont think I';; have the chance to do that!! lol

i know how you feel!!! 100%! its disgusting! ... i understand people need money to live off but NO family who doesn't work should earn more then a family who does its just not fair ... we have one child and oh works 40 hours a week... but i know a girl who has four kids and her and her partner dont work and they more then double what we make ... and to add insult to injury they earn double but because its all in benefits they dont pay council tax or rent!? .. wheres the justice in that, so we make less and have to pay our way in society... flamming cheeky! also, we cant afford a new car.. atm i cant even afford my driving lessons... but they have both learnt how to drive and brought an 8 seater car?! off the tax payers money .. lovely :/ .. sorry it just annoys me that whilst we are struggling to do/afford things they are doing them cos we are PAYING FOR THEM!!!! (with out tax not literally lol)

OMG after my essential bills are paid I am left with £100 for food and whatever else for a month. And I work.

My motto is only have the kids you can afford to provide for.

thats the same with us!

Someone I know hasn't worked all their life, just moved into a 2 bed flat because they've had a baby, managed to buy all designer baby clothes and brand new baby furniture from Mamas and Papas whereas, me and my partner struggled to pay the deposit for our house, and my little girl has got 90% second hand clothes and furniture because we can't afford brand new.

After all our bills are paid for we literally have money for our food each week and maybe a treat each for ourselves once a month - but this literally is 1 night at the cinema, a cheap meal out, or one item of clothes from tesco's or asda lol

When I go back to work - just because we wouldn't get many benefits with my OH working full time so wouldn't benefit us, we literally would be left with less than we are now due to childcare!

Makes me angry!! lol

Mine too!

Thats all well and good if you have a crystal ball and can see into the future! When I had my 3 children (2 of which were conceived whilst on the pill) I could afford it, this baby was accidently conceived whilst using a condom, what was i meant to do, have one of those medical prcedures that aren't allowed to be discussed on here? Accidents happen, circumstances change.

The point I'm ranting about is that i CAN very comfortably affor 4 children as a single mother on benefits, but cant if my OH moves in with me because he works 50 hours a week! Thats just not right.

thats the same with us!

Someone I know hasn't worked all their life, just moved into a 2 bed flat because they've had a baby, managed to buy all designer baby clothes and brand new baby furniture from Mamas and Papas whereas, me and my partner struggled to pay the deposit for our house, and my little girl has got 90% second hand clothes and furniture because we can't afford brand new.

After all our bills are paid for we literally have money for our food each week and maybe a treat each for ourselves once a month - but this literally is 1 night at the cinema, a cheap meal out, or one item of clothes from tesco's or asda lol

When I go back to work - just because we wouldn't get many benefits with my OH working full time so wouldn't benefit us, we literally would be left with less than we are now due to childcare!

Makes me angry!! lol

Rediculous, isn't it!? And the government wonder why people pretend to be single when they actually live with their OH. When he moves in heres me doing the right thing, canceling all my single parent benefits and informing tax credits of the change and you get penalized for doing so!

What about unplanned pregnancies?

I never meant to upset anybody but thats just my theory. My daughter was unplanned but luckily I was working. I have spent a few weeks on income support and it isn't nice I understand that. Wasn't meant to offend any of you. Just my opinion.

If I had my way I would sort out the government - they are cheating so and so's they talk about people on benefits but yet it's easy for them to do as they have never expereinced it - I would like to take a cut of each member of their party's salary and use that to help the country!

x

Mine too!

Thats all well and good if you have a crystal ball and can see into the future! When I had my 3 children (2 of which were conceived whilst on the pill) I could afford it, this baby was accidently conceived whilst using a condom, what was i meant to do, have one of those medical prcedures that aren't allowed to be discussed on here? Accidents happen, circumstances change.

The point I'm ranting about is that i CAN very comfortably affor 4 children as a single mother on benefits, but cant if my OH moves in with me because he works 50 hours a week! Thats just not right.

I just re - read ur last bit here - It's lovely to know you CAN VERY COMFORTABLY afford 4 children as a single mother on benefits - when some of us can't even afford one child whilst working - I hope u are very proud of that fact!

I used to be on income support (years ago.. ahem 10 years ago) and i never had a car, designer clothes, holidays etc.. I barely had money to survive once the bills were paid. I didn't have the net or sky TV or anything either! I just don't understand how other people on benefits CAN afford all of the above.

you maybe only had one kid ? also i think its changed alot since then ... my mum was on her own when she had me and got nothing ... 20 years ago! .. now u get everything on a silver plate housing benefits tax credits(per child) income support ... Child benefit(per child)
then no rent/tax to pay.. i was a single parent with one child and i struggled but once u have 3/4 it looks like it gets pretty easy! cos then u can be earning more then a working family! x

you maybe only had one kid ? also i think its changed alot since then ... my mum was on her own when she had me and got nothing ... 20 years ago! .. now u get everything on a silver plate housing benefits tax credits(per child) income support ... Child benefit(per child)
then no rent/tax to pay.. i was a single parent with one child and i struggled but once u have 3/4 it looks like it gets pretty easy! cos then u can be earning more then a working family! x

I agree here - i have only one child and income support did not help me one bit - but all these people with 3 + kids seem to have everything! government needs to change! xx

I think people miss the point when they talk about benefits. It's not that people who are on them should be any worse off. It's that people who work should be MUCH BETTER off than they are! Specifically working families. And a major part of this is how ridiculously expensive childcare is in this country. If the government tried to tackle this properly it'd be a bloody good start!

Your figures show you will be better off with your partner working- by £100 per month. It won't cost you £100 extra per month to feed your OH and a baby, and I can't imagine your electric/ gas going up by much if any either seeing as you have to heat the house anyway for the 4 of you. Prescriptions are free for everyone now are they not? (In Northern Ireland anyway.) Dental you will get free for a year and the kids are free. So not exactly a massive saving if you did get it all free.

I also think £900 is a huge amount of money to have left over after bills.

Your figures show you will be better off with your partner working- by £100 per month. It won't cost you £100 extra per month to feed your OH and a baby, and I can't imagine your electric/ gas going up by much if any either seeing as you have to heat the house anyway for the 4 of you. Prescriptions are free for everyone now are they not? (In Northern Ireland anyway.) Dental you will get free for a year and the kids are free. So not exactly a massive saving if you did get it all free.

I also think £900 is a huge amount of money to have left over after bills.[/QUOTE]

agree!

that is sooooo much more than most working folk! us included. I work PT 3 days and OH full time; we don't have that luxery!

x

:shock: 800 pounds left over on benefits?! Thats a crazy amount, no wonder country is in so much debt.

We have 4 kids also, my hubby works 60+ hours a week while I stay home, we pay for everything and absolutely no assistance, we have less ( considering exchange rate) per month left over and make it work:thumbup:

Either way, you have an opportunity to get off the benefits, help your country out ans set a good example, good luck!:flower:

Oh and dont worry about having to pay prescriptions, consider yurself lucky, we have to pay $100 just to take a kid to the ER.

I think people miss the point when they talk about benefits. It's not that people who are on them should be any worse off. It's that people who work should be MUCH BETTER off than they are! Specifically working families.

But where would the money come from to pay for that? If you want the working people to be "MUCH BETTER off" and those on benefits to be no worse off, you're talking about massively increasing the public deficit, not decreasing it as we desperately need to! :wacko:

To be fair, the whole idea of the welfare state is to provide for those in desperate need but reading some of the posts in this thread it's obvious to anyone that it's got out of control; if it's become comfortable to live on benefits with 3/4 kids but almost impossible for some who have only 1 and are working, then there's something seriously wrong isn't there?

I think people miss the point when they talk about benefits. It's not that people who are on them should be any worse off. It's that people who work should be MUCH BETTER off than they are! Specifically working families.

But where would the money come from to pay for that? If you want the working people to be "MUCH BETTER off" and those on benefits to be no worse off, you're talking about massively increasing the public deficit, not decreasing it as we desperately need to! :wacko:

To be fair, the whole idea of the welfare state is to provide for those in desperate need but reading some of the posts in this thread it's obvious to anyone that it's got out of control; if it's become comfortable to live on benefits with 3/4 kids but almost impossible for some who have only 1 and are working, then there's something seriously wrong isn't there?

your correct - seriously wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back