• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's your opinion on pageants?

Thanks for the opinions everyone! It's helped strengthen my negative view of them.

I don't like them.

I don't need a pageant to confirm that my baby is the best baby ever!

I watch here comes honey boo boo and toddlers and tiaras but I just can't understand why they do it, and so young!! :shrug:

To be honest, if you want to do it, might as well do it when they ARE young and don't fully understand why they've lost.

I don't understand people who enter their babies in pageants. I guess I don't understand them because I can't see any justifiable reason to do it, and the idea that people willingly subject their child to a competitive process of judgement based on appearance and likeability for no good reason is a foreign and alien concept to me. Child pageants are creepy as hell.

I'll be putting Mia in natural pageants, they arn't all about beauty! It's also about speaking in public, the one here has volunteer programs the kids do and scholarships, and friends. Toddlers and Tiaras ruined what the pageant world can be like. So judge me for my choice I really don't care because I want my daughter to be confident in her skin and public speaking.

I'll be putting Mia in natural pageants, they arn't all about beauty! It's also about speaking in public, the one here has volunteer programs the kids do and scholarships, and friends. Toddlers and Tiaras ruined what the pageant world can be like. So judge me for my choice I really don't care because I want my daughter to be confident in her skin and public speaking.

I agree with you on that. It's not just a beauty contest.

Public speaking? There are many other ways a child can become a proficient public speaker without sticking false eyelashes on them!

Public speaking? There are many other ways a child can become a proficient public speaker without sticking false eyelashes on them!

I made it pretty clear that I'm not talking about pageants that involve anything fake, including tans, eyelashes, makeup, etc. But of course there other ways. I think she was just trying to say it's not all a beauty contest. It's beauty, talent, public speaking, amongst other things. But I've already decided that I won't be putting her in them anyway. I just wanted opinions. I don't think it makes anyone a bad parent though if they do choose to do it. In some areas, like mine, it's a normal thing to do and nobody bats an eye. Just cultural differences.

I've never seen any of the pageant shows as to be honest they don't sit well with me at all.

For me, no chance would I be entering my child in something like that. With or without make up, lo is a boy anyway! But the idea that my child would be judged on looks etc makes me shudder. I really don't get it.

It's quite alarming that the sexualisation of young girls should ever be a norm, whatever culture you may live in. Anyway that's my piece.

And I agree with you on that. I guess I'm just trying to say that some people don't really think deeply about what they're actually doing.

When did I say I was putting my daughter in fake eyelashes or fake anything?????? I said natural pageants which means natural hair, teeth, no make up and regular dresses

It's quite alarming that the sexualisation of young girls should ever be a norm, whatever culture you may live in. Anyway that's my piece.

Speaking of sexualisation of young girls... I recently watched Dance Moms and I was HORRIFIED to see how sexually the 5 year old (Asia) dances on the show!! She is wearing panties and a bra and is gyrating all over the place and her mom is totally fine with it!!

Speaking of sexualisation of young girls... I recently watched Dance Moms and I was HORRIFIED to see how sexually the 5 year old (Asia) dances on the show!! She is wearing panties and a bra and is gyrating all over the place and her mom is totally fine with it!!

BAHAHAH, I love watching Dance Moms ;P

No I would not. I'm not a fan of pageants for adults let alone babies/toddlers. No matter now much ppl say there's good things about pageant, the main message is the same. We don't need a competition like that to teach your child confidence or let them know they're beautiful, that's our job as parents.

Onetwothreebp - OMG, r u serious? I obv don't watch enough tv

YouTube dance moms Asia dancing and some of her performances should come up. She's more sexual at 5 than I am at 25!

I'm against anything that judges any child for the way they look, regardless of whether there is a "talent" part tagged on to it, or whether there is makeup or not. Especially when it comes to little girls, what a terrible message to send out to them.

I'm not even a fan of cute baby competitions. Why is everyone so obsessed with how children look? I even get irritated when people will always immediately tell Abby how pretty she is or how lovely her hair is. When I meet little girls I'm far more likely to ask them if they like books or what is their favorite toy.

I might be slightly skewed with this sort of thing because Abby would never be accepted in a pageant, but that in itself shows what is wrong with them.

No way. I dont want my daughter to feel she isnt as pretty or as talented as other girls because she didnt win a competition. It would be hard to explain to a child why she didnt win.

I must admit though I have looked into baby modeling!:blush: I think she would do really well as she is very confident and loves dressing up, but she wouldnt be in a direct competition against anyone else. Plus if she got jobs we could put the money into a trust fund for her. I gave up on the idea though as you have to pay $500 upfront just to enrol your child into an agency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->