What's your thoughts on people with Downs getting pregnant?

tiggerpony

Reaction score
Just curious on peoples views. I recently saw a programme on TV which was talking about how two people with down syndrome were having a sexual relationship and were not taking precautions because they wanted a baby of their own. The baby would also be born with Downs. What's your opinions on this? I understand they can have a intimate relationship with who they like, but take precautions......is it just me? My friend said I am being horrible. From what I understand downs is a mental conditon also, which would then raise the question how will they be able to look after a baby?

Just curious on others thoughts and wasn't sure where to post this but as I am in the 3rd tri thought I might as well put it here.

It would depend on how severe the downs syndrome is. I know a few people who are so high functioning that you wouldnt really know (aside from their appearance really)... also, this coupld may have support for raising a child. No one can tell them they cant have children, but I agree that they should be looking for the best interest of the child, and as long as proper support is in place, I dont see why not.

If they are capable of looking after the child then fine IMO.

Watching Children In Need a few years ago annoyed the hell out of me. A deaf and blind couple had a little girl (who was now about 10/11), she looked after them and the money being raised was going to give her "time out" to be a child........ Selfish!! In my opinion anyway.

I may be wrong but I thought I read there is a very high level of infertility in people, particularly men, who have downs syndrome and it is quite unlikely they would be able to conceive naturally?

Just curious on peoples views. I recently saw a programme on TV which was talking about how two people with down syndrome were having a sexual relationship and were not taking precautions because they wanted a baby of their own. The baby would also be born with Downs. What's your opinions on this? I know I may get shouted at but in my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to get pregnant...I understand they can have a intimate relationship with who they like, but take precautions......is it just me? My friend said I am being horrible. From what I understand downs is a mental conditon also, which would then raise the question how will they be able to look after a baby?

Just curious on others thoughts and wasn't sure where to post this but as I am in the 3rd tri thought I might as well put it here.

i dont like the sentence in bold, people with downs arent "they" they are people too!

there are alot of "normal" people who shouldnt be allowed children but are because its our right to do what we want with our own bodies.

how do u no the baby would have downs too? was this on the program?

id be worried about how the couple would cope with the baby and if they would get help ect.
my brother has special needs and i no he wouldnt last 2 seconds with a baby so i pray he doesnt have any. but if he did i no my mum would help him and the mother

It would depend on how severe the downs syndrome is. I know a few people who are so high functioning that you wouldnt really know (aside from their appearance really)... also, this coupld may have support for raising a child. No one can tell them they cant have children, but I agree that they should be looking for the best interest of the child, and as long as proper support is in place, I dont see why not.

I agree with this.

I worked with young adults and children with Down's for years, and yes a lot of them suffer from learning difficulties too, more often than not, infact. They also tend to have a lot of heart problems unfortunately. As if life isn't difficult enough for them :nope:

A lot of people who suffer from Down's do live relatively normal lives though, in that they hold down jobs and have their own accommodation and are supported by Key Workers and so are very independant.

I am sure that on a level there are some people who would be able to look after a baby, but that they would have to be heavily supported to make things as smooth as possible - then again there are people who don't suffer from any syndrome at all and I wouldn't want them to have a baby, for fear they couldn't look after it! It really does all depend on the person/s.

In my eyes though they are usually very loving people, with a great sense of humour, although they can be very stubborn!

I loved my time working in this field with such wonderful people.

Just curious on peoples views. I recently saw a programme on TV which was talking about how two people with down syndrome were having a sexual relationship and were not taking precautions because they wanted a baby of their own. The baby would also be born with Downs. What's your opinions on this? I know I may get shouted at but in my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to get pregnant...I understand they can have a intimate relationship with who they like, but take precautions......is it just me? My friend said I am being horrible. From what I understand downs is a mental conditon also, which would then raise the question how will they be able to look after a baby?

i dont like the sentence in bold, people with downs arent "they" they are people too!

there are alot of "normal" people who shouldnt be allowed children but are because its our right to do what we want with our own bodies.

how do u no the baby would have downs too? was this on the program?

id be worried about how the couple would cope with the baby and if they would get help ect.
my brother has special needs and i no he wouldnt last 2 seconds with a baby so i pray he doesnt have any. but if he did i no my mum would help him and the mother

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just curious on what people thought. Yes it was said in the programme the baby would have downs syndrome too. They are people too, and I agree, some people shouldnt have children but they do...it just made me think though if I had downs and my husband had downs I would go down the adoption route if I wanted a baby, I wouldn't put my child at risk of having a "problem" such as downs...I hope that doesn't sound nasty. If they decide to have a baby then I hope all the best to them and they get the help they need. I'm just saying - I wouldn't do that.

eek. This is a very controversial thread to start!

I think every person is allowed the choice of having a child. People with Downs often live very normal and independant contented lives.

There are however some syndromes/illnesses that require a massive amount of medical and financial support for the whole of their lives. I was watching a program, cant remember the name of it, and the mother who was severely disabled KNEW her baby (while it was in the womb) would have horrific problems and she still continued with the pregnancy. The child was subjected to years of medical intervention, thousands and thousands of tax payers money and more importantly...years of pain from the illness, and the child died at 9. I don't understand why people have children in those cases.

but then again if both u and ur oh had downs u wouldnt think like u do now and u might not even concider adoption....which im not sure if a couple with downs would be able to do.

but then again if both u and ur oh had downs u wouldnt think like u do now and u might not even concider adoption....which im not sure if a couple with downs would be able to do.

Hmmm. Why do you think that a couple with downs wouldn't able to adopt?

I guess you are right I wouldn't think like I do now...Just to confirm this post is NOT ment to offend anyone at all, I was simply curious to how people felt on the idea :)

Hmmm. Why do you think that a couple with downs wouldn't able to adopt?

I guess you are right I wouldn't think like I do now...Just to confirm this post is NOT ment to offend anyone at all, I was simply curious to how people felt on the idea :)

being able to adopt is very hard and "normal" couples are turned down for the smallest thing, so this leads me to think that would a couple with downs by able to adopt....i dont no. i no my brother and his needs wouldnt be able to adopt as he isnt classed as being able to look after himself.

it all comes down to how the downs effects the couple in question and what support they would have.

alot of people who dont have downs bring babies into the world knowing that child has downs, is this also unfair?
theres alot of other questions that can be attached to ur question

EEEEek. I don't want to answer that one...mainly because I don't know what I would of done if put in that situation. Same as if I was told the baby I'm carrying would suffer horribley all her life with medical issues. Thankfully, I have been assured she is healthy. But my friend knew her baby had downs and only a few months ago she was born; and she is adorable and very sweet.

EEEEek. I don't want to answer that one...mainly because I don't know what I would of done if put in that situation. Same as if I was told the baby I'm carrying would suffer horribley all her life with medical issues. Thankfully, I have been assured she is healthy. But my friend knew her baby had downs and only a few months ago she was born; and she is adorable and very sweet.

dont worry i wasnt expecting anyone to answer it as thats another whole can of worms.

its just to me that fact that the baby would also have downs isnt a issue for me. im only concern to that fact if they could cope, they might be great parents and do a better job then others.

I know I may get shouted at but in my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to get pregnant.

Everyone has the right to pursue a family, there can never be a law that can prevent that. People with down syndrome should not have less rights than those who don't have down syndrome. The above sentence should be retracted as it holds serious implications directed at anyone who choses to give birth to a child with mental or physical disabilities.

I saw a programme where the mother of the girl with downs syndrome was trying to get the right to sterilise her daughter because the girl had severe downs and already had 2 children but the mother (grandmother) had to care for her daughter with downs and her daughters 2 children. The girl with downs had to rely on her mum to wash, feed, change her and she had no speech and little understanding.
So her mother had to care for her children aswell as her

I dont think in this case it is fair on the mother that her daughter with downs keeps getting pregnant, not that it is her fault..its sad
I dont think people with downs should be treated any different but in terms of having children i think it depends on the severity
xxxx

its all down to capability, the same rule will apply for EVERYONE, with a disability or no, Don't have a child if you can't look after yourself, if you do need help from anybody long term due to a severe mental or physical disability to make your life easier or smoother, then bringing a child into the picture would be irresponsbile for anyone to do, I can say this without feeling bad because i was a carer for my mum who was a severe alcoholic and incredibly depressed and tried to take her life with me right infront of her a few times, i never had a child hood and the stuff i went through was down right wrong for any child to go through, and the fact she didn't put me into fostering temporarily and allowed me to look after her (i literally walked her home blind drunk after self harming from primary school at the age of 8).

if the person is capable enough to lead a almost normal life on their own without too much help (councelling etc is totally different..I'm on about every day routines etc)Then i think it's ok, because thats not too much weight to place on the child as they get older and more capable themselves.

I saw a programme where the mother of the girl with downs syndrome was trying to get the right to sterilise her daughter because the girl had severe downs and already had 2 children but the mother (grandmother) had to care for her daughter with downs and her daughters 2 children. The girl with downs had to rely on her mum to wash, feed, change her and she had no speech and little understanding.

I dont think in this case it is fair on the mother that her daughter with downs keeps getting pregnant, not that it is her fault..its sad
I dont think people with downs should be treated any different but in terms of having children i think it depends on the severity
xxxx

This worries me, if she was that dependent on her mother for all those basic things then how did she have the chance to become pregnant iykwim? Surely if she had such little understanding that she needed help to wash, change etc then how could she make an informed decision about sex?

IMO If they have the right support and help then there is no reason that people with downs shouldn't have children. But I agree, it depends on the severity, if they are leading near enough normal lives anyways why should they be denied the chance of a child.

xxxx

This worries me, if she was that dependent on her mother for all those basic things then how did she have the chance to become pregnant iykwim? Surely if she had such little understanding that she needed help to wash, change etc then how could she make an informed decision about sex?

IMO If they have the right support and help then there is no reason that people with downs shouldn't have children. But I agree, it depends on the severity, if they are leading near enough normal lives anyways why should they be denied the chance of a child.

i was wondering the same, thats awful thought!
its not fair on the mother/grandmother that she has to look after her daughter aswel as her children. also if she does need that much help surly birth or even getting over a section would be very traumatic for her

I think if we start stating who should and shouldnt have children then where does it stop? Drug addicts, those with a criminal record, the deaf, the mentally ill, the poor, etc etc. If a family is given support and that baby is loved I dont see issues.

I know I may get shouted at but in my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to get pregnant.

Everyone has the right to pursue a family, there can never be a law that can prevent that. People with down syndrome should not have less rights than those who don't have down syndrome. The above sentence should be retracted as it holds serious implications directed at anyone who choses to give birth to a child with mental or physical disabilities.

I will retract it but I honestly didn't mean it in that way or certainly not in a nasty way. As I said my friend knew her baby would have downs and was born a few months ago, she is a very sweet baby and luckly doesnt have to many health problems. I was simply saying my opinion - I didn't think anyone would be offended. I respect peoples decisions - that's up to them if they want to knownly bring a child into this world with a mental or physical disabilitiy; and if anyone on here is doing that - I admire them and wish them all the best for their baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->