When and what to start buying??? X

aae123

Reaction score
Hello..
I have my 12week scan on Tuesday, and jusrt wanted to know when is normal to start buying things?
And what to buy first?
This is my first pregnancy and i want to be as organised as possible.... as well as spread the cost as well....

Any help/advice would be great, Thank you ! xx

Personally, I started buying around 6 weeks. I started off by buying jars of baby food on clearance that didn't expire for over a year. I acquired about two months worth of food by 8 weeks. Then I stocked on newborn and size one diapers. I didn't start getting any big items until I had my 12 weeks ultrasound and started with the big items that I REALLY needed...car seat, stroller, crib, etc, and once I got those, I started getting other big items that baby aren't crucial, but will come in handy...swing, change table, bouncer. Now I'm 18 weeks and have everything except the breast pump. I'm going to use my tax return to get that because it's $300. Otherwise, I'm working on stocking up on clothes since I found out my baby is a boy.

With my first I started buying very early like 2 month, I has to spread the cost as theres alot to buy. I started buying boring things like white clothes, socks, mits, baby wipes, bits and bobs. I got my pram at 20 weeks and then I got heapsss at my baby shower so I waited until after then to decide what I still needed and bought the 'cute' things after

Depends on your comfort level. I knew I wanted to stretch out my budget because I had a feeling we would not get a ton at our shower (I was right). People kept telling me to stop buying, so I didn't buy as much as I should... then got stuck spending hundreds these past few weeks after my shower.

I started early. After our 12 week scan I started buying gender neutral cloth diapers (would have done the same with disposables... different brands though until I knew what worked best). Around 15/16 weeks I started buying random things on a huge sale at Babies R Us. I got gender neutral things like our extra car seat base, changing pad, crib mattress, a sleep sack and our Moby Wrap. After our gender scan (17 weeks) I shopped for clearance clothes, then we shopped clearance Halloween stuff and got his costume & some Halloween onesies. I continued to buy cloth diapers little by little. We also ordered our crib around 24 weeks. Then, until my shower a few weeks ago I continued to buy things for cloth diapering, clearance clothes and books. Oh we got his Travel System when Babies R Us did their trade in event because we got the best deal. Basically, if something went on sale (and I knew it would be hard to come by again), I bought it.

I am glad I shopped over time because most of his individual clothing items averaged $1.50-3 a piece and his full outfits averaged $3-5 each. Plus, it was less overwhelming than paying $200-300+ at a time for big shopping trips. I saved a ton by shopping clearance, sales and second hand.

I still haven't bought anything! With my daughter I ordered my buggy at 31 weeks but didn't buy anything for my bag until I was 36+ Weeks. All depends on what you feel comfortable with buying. Enjoy

We started doing small, gender neutral items I knew we'd need after my 12 week scan. (We got rid of everything after my last, when we moved!)
I waited until the gender was confirmed in the middle of my pregnancy to start buying the bigger items.

We'd get 1 larger item each paycheck, or spend the equivalent on smaller things, and are just now finishing up. I still need (want) some things, but we should be done right on schedule, at 34 weeks. Then I'll start washing and putting things together, exciting!

I'm a bit over the top with organizational things, so I have lists of exactly what I want & the price, then put them in order of which we'd buy when, depending on importance (a few things have been bought out of order due to a sale or something, but generally we stick to it). My Mom & Dad have been helping out a lot with baby gear, so that's been great!

I started at 11 weeks (well, my mum did!). We have clothes, bibs, a teddy and bottles.

Buy what you want, when you want.

We started buying after the 20 week scan for both babies. Due to a loss at 18 weeks with our first baby and buying loads of stuff before that really hit me so I tend to be a bit more careful and calm with the buying until I really feel that all is ok.

xxx

I started buying around 6 months...I started with the odd clothes...bedding etc. It is really a personal choice x

Personally, I started buying around 6 weeks. I started off by buying jars of baby food on clearance that didn't expire for over a year. I acquired about two months worth of food by 8 weeks. Then I stocked on newborn and size one diapers. I didn't start getting any big items until I had my 12 weeks ultrasound and started with the big items that I REALLY needed...car seat, stroller, crib, etc, and once I got those, I started getting other big items that baby aren't crucial, but will come in handy...swing, change table, bouncer. Now I'm 18 weeks and have everything except the breast pump. I'm going to use my tax return to get that because it's $300. Otherwise, I'm working on stocking up on clothes since I found out my baby is a boy.

......We must have gotten pregnant around the same time ;-)

Looks like it! There's a July thread if you're interested!

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...blue-bumps-5-yellow-bumps-6.html#post31709747

We've already bought a few outfits and a little stuffed toy. My MIL sent us a big care package with a lot of little baby clothes. But we still have a lot of shopping to do. I'm waiting until our 15 week gender scan to really start buying clothes. And once we find out the gender I'll decide on what color furniture for the nursery I want :)

I'm 18 weeks and still haven't bought a thing! My bf has been putting off looking at things with me. But we are going to start looking today. I'm stressing out over it just a tiny bit, but everyone keeps reassuring me that I won't need to buy much because of the baby showers I will be having. I guess I'm just getting into nesting mode, really eager to get started. But we won't start getting anything gender specific and major until after my anatomy scan on the 13th this month.

With my first LO, we bought a few small items before my gender scan. Once we knew we were having a boy, we bought everything we needed in a relatively quick time. It helped that we (okay, I) already knew what we wanted, and we were just waiting on confirmation of the gender.
With this one, I'm eager to know the gender so I can get buying. We have all of the big items already, but I want to get a few gender specific items, and as we're hoping for a girl, I would have a lot of clothes to buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->