When and why have waters broken?

Rachel89

Reaction score
With my DS, my waters were broken at 10 cm's. Tbh it was not something I had thought out or researched at the time.

In such a situation, why would they break your waters? What would you opt for and is there really a choice? Is there any safety risks?

Thank you ladies :flower:

I was preecclamptic and had to be induced but I wasn't getting any contractions on pitocin, once we decided to break my water I started getting contractions. Delivered 10 hours later. I think it is a non-medicinal way to help labor along.

My waters were accidently popped while I was getting a cervix check in labor with my first. They must have been bulging pretty good because the doctor barely put her hands there and pop! I was around 7 cm and in full active labor. Unless it was needed to get labor progressing I refuse to get them popped artificially.

My Doctor broke my water at 6cm to get things moving along, but I had only been in labor for a few hours. I didn't know I could say no. Labor was totally doable until they broke it.

Yeah, that is what I thought! Did not understand why they would break my waters at 10 cm's it wasn't necessary at all! I was in so much pain I didn't care in the moment, but if there is no medical necessity to it, no extra reason, and something similar would happen this time around I will decline (and tell hubby so he can express my wishes).

Edit: some people here believe that if baby is born in the sack they can see ghosts, I swear I wonder if that is why she broke it, they are very superstitious here where I live (in the caribbean).

I was induced and the first thing they did was break my water to start things going, I was already 4cm upon being admitted for induction.

I asked my midwife this question only last week. With dd I had my waters broken early on. My current midwife said she broke waters if she thought they could tell her something. I think an example she gave was If the baby's heartrate drops breaking waters could tell you more, like is there meconium in the water. She said otherwise she doesn't break them and has had a couple of babies born in it's sac . In the UK it was said of a baby was born in it's sac it would be a sailor.

All mine broke spontaneous, 1st was 35 minutes before giving birth, all over the floor lol.and with my 2nd and 3rd it was at 10 cm when i was pushing so like on my 2nd or 3rd push.

I used to be a midwifery student. During my clinical training, the most frequent reason we would artificially break the waters once a woman reached 10cm or was pushing was because the membranes were really bulging making it very likely they were about to go on their own and we didn't want to get drenched in amniotic fluid.... When you break the water artificially, it can be done so that it gushes out in a relatively controlled way. But when bulging membranes burst with the force of a head coming down and a strong contraction behind it, the fluid just kinda squirts everywhere much like it does when you overfill a water balloon. If you're in the line of fire, it's very easy to end up head to toe drenched! :rain:

With that said, another indication to do it would be if there were concerns that there could be meconium in the fluid and knowing beforehand would be useful so that the NICU or RT team could be present for the birth.

My waters broke at 36 weeks, but wasn't dilated nor did labor start. No reason was found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->