When did you start using fluff?

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
Did you start straight away or did you use 'sposies first?

Im feeling a bit guilty about planning to use 'sposies for the first few weeks, i want to get BF established first and get myself into some sort of a routine before i start with the fluff.

Im i just beating the point of using fluff by using 'sposies first?

I started using fluff after 2 weeks or so, like you i wanted to get into the swing of things first by the time he was 3 weeks old he was full time in cloth.
i wanted to use up the sposies we had through vouchers etc, since then he's probably had about 2 weeks in sposies since which was over christmas and on holiday (but i still took & used cloth as well) still have a few sposies left but they get left for emergencies in the boot of my car.

nope! I used sposies for the first 8ish weeks before deciding I wanted to give cloth a go, then slowly built up my stash using cloth when I could, generally around the house, and sposies of a night time and when we went out. as my stash grew bigger and I got more confident with the cloth the time in cloth outweighed the time in sposies and he's been in cloth f/t for about 3wks now, (cept 3 days this week when we were away)

the way I see it, is that unless you stash build while you're pregnant, it can be an expensive outlay all at once, and sometimes you need to try a few different kinds to figure out what works for you and your LO. But every cloth you use means one less dirty sposie rotting in landfill for the next few hundred years. and THAT is a GOOD thing!

I started at the end of may 2009, about 4/5 weeks after leo was born so I misses all the newborn poop. I stopped when he was about 4/5 months as I couldnt cope with the extra washing load that came with all the teething poop :wacko: and :wacko:the other 3 kids washing.....but He's 13 months now and I'm about to start up again:blush:

I'm sorry now, I didnt stick at it longer the first time around:cry:

i planned to use them from the off, but LO came early and i was so under prepared!! i ended up going with sposies and never getting round to sort out any kind of proper stash.

now a year on i am totally going fluff, just not today cos he has had diarrhoea and i've only got a few cloth nappies :blush:, still waiting for a load in the post!

eta: i was clueless lozzy - you're doing well to prep now!

I had planned to use cloth, so I had them all ready when he was born but did not pressurise myself to use them right away. He's my first baby and I was right in thinking I'd have way too much to do keeping our heads above water without complicating it unnecessarily. So we used disposables till I was ready to deal with the laundry and had my head round things a bit better.

As it turned out, the first time I tried cloth (3 weeks), it leaked. Now it probably was because I didn't put the wrap on properly - Adam had really skinny little legs in the beginning. I tried again a week later, by which time Adam was 9lb, and that was it, we've never looked back.

The nappies I chose before Adam was born (Little Lamb, all preloved) worked fine, and though I have tried a few different types since, I still love my Little Lambs. :)

With another baby I think I'd move onto cloth as soon as the meconium stage is past and the poo is normal newborn poo, but no way could I have coped with Adam in cloth in the first week, I was overloaded/overwhelmed enough. I've never beaten myself up about it, nor do I beat myself up for still using disposables most nights (due to not wanting to buy specific night nappies as well as a reluctant OH). I figure I am not making nearly as much of a contribution to landfill as I might otherwise have. I can only do my best and what sits ok with my own conscience. :)

nope! I used sposies for the first 8ish weeks before deciding I wanted to give cloth a go, then slowly built up my stash using cloth when I could, generally around the house, and sposies of a night time and when we went out. as my stash grew bigger and I got more confident with the cloth the time in cloth outweighed the time in sposies and he's been in cloth f/t for about 3wks now, (cept 3 days this week when we were away)

the way I see it, is that unless you stash build while you're pregnant, it can be an expensive outlay all at once, and sometimes you need to try a few different kinds to figure out what works for you and your LO. But every cloth you use means one less dirty sposie rotting in landfill for the next few hundred years. and THAT is a GOOD thing!

Similar to Kota, although we left it longer before going full time in cloth. Although we still use disposables at night until I can get some that her Respisense monitor fits onto.

We didn't start till 6 months partly because i didn't know much about it then. This part of the forum wasn't here then. It's prefectly reasonable that you would want to wait for a few weeks before starting with cloth, i guess it depends on the reasons why you want to use cloth. Cloth shouldn't be a chore though and if you think it will be easier to use ssposies for the first week or two then don't feel bad about it or anything :flower:

I already had most of my stash pre-fi and put her in them for the first time at about a week or so old :D

I never really knew much about them until Mairi was 4 months old. I plan on using fluff for my next one, but only after a few weeks, once the dust has somewhat settled and the newborn poo has passed. You're not beating the point at all. There are so many things on your plate when LO first arrives, that it'll take sometime to get into the swing of it IMO. Good luck :hugs:

I bought all my nappies when pregnant and decided I'd wait 6 weeks until starting to use them as I knew learning about M and establishing BF would be enough work to start with. As it is, I didn't start until 8 weeks. I'm glad I bought my stash in pregnancy as it would have been sooo easy to carry on using disposables! Loving cloth now but I'm still glad I waited this long to start, feel much more confident

Thanks girls, youv made me feel better. Im hoping to build my stash while pregnant or just after baby is born.

Where are the best sites to order from?

I've got disposables for about a week. When that pack is gone we'll be onto our cloth. I don't want OH to have to hassle with taking nappies home for washing when I'm still in hospital (I get at least 48 hours). I'd prefer to get the meconium done with before moving to cloth because it's sticky, but not having OH have to do laundry the first few days is my main concern.
Mine are all prewashed and inserts loaded...!

Im about to start at one year...but have been using 2 borrowed nappies on odd days for a month now

We are planning to start from the off - we do have some disposables though just in case as apparently this baby having thing can be unpredictable :rofl:

As Boyo said, we need to learn one way or the other so makes sense to use what we plan to use from the off IF we can. We are building our stash now and should have 22 by the end of this week when all or deliveries arrive! :blush:

We won't put any pressure on ourselves though and if we feel like the right thing, for whatever reason, is to put her in a Huggies to start with, we will, likewise, if we feel that cracking on with the cloth is, we'll do that.....we are going to be led by how we feel at the time & by Missy with everything :cloud9:

xxx

I've got some sposies I had vouchers for, just going to get my head round the baby thing first!! Plus, if the fluff is a little big at first, I'd rather use sposies than buy a load of fluff I'll only get a few weeks use out of.

I've been slowly building up my stash, don't have enough to go full time anyway yet (I'm waiting till the baby's actually here for that bit!!) but not gonna put too much pressure on myself, as with everything else baby related - we'll do it when we're ready!

Prewashing done now though :) Some still drying, may have to get a picture while they're all together!

I'm planning to use cloth once all the meconium is done with, I don't want that to stain our nice new nappies.

I will be in hospital for a period after giving birth and feel that cloth may be harder to manage with storage of dirty nappies etc.

So I will use them after about 1 week.

Oh, plus I think it's probably useful to have some sposies on hand just in case!

I started at 9 months with Olivia but with the nexts bubs I think I would start around 1- 2 weeks, just to get myself settled into the newborn stage.

Ive started building my stash already, but have quite a few packets of sposies. They were mostly off my mum trying to be practical/helpful. Id like to pop him in cloth from just after the meconium stage, but will prob feel bad about not using stuff thats already been bought for me, so will do sposies as well till they're gone!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->