• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When did your LO really start to eat??

tattlebaby

Reaction score
My LO is now officially 1 yr old and some change and still not really taking food like I thought she would by now. While other babies I know are way into meats and stuff, I'm still struggling to get her to eat some fruits. I noticed she doesn't really like the spoon but will eat very slowly, sort of exploring her food in her hand and feed her self if I let her, so thats working, but I was hoping to soon wean…any thoughts? Also, because I'm trying to get her to want to eat and like eating, I'm trying to keep the whole meal time positive no matter what. So when she starts throwing food I find myself saying "No..No..No..don't do that"..I never yell at her, but its almost like she knows she shouldn't be doing that when she, in return, gives me a blank stare. Should I correct her now or leave that for later? What do you guys do?

I found our daughter started to really eat what seemed like real meals and in more significant quantity around 10 months, and it's increased from there, but we started BLW at 6 months so she has only ever fed herself, so I think that makes a difference. For many kids, it's perfectly normal for it to be over a year, particularly if you have to make the transition from spoonfeeding to normal eating, as it's basically like learning everything all over again. I would say just give it time and like you said, keep mealtimes relaxing and stress-free. I wouldn't worry too much able throwing food and things at that age. Every child is different and you know better than anyone, but she probably doesn't have a grasp yet of 'right' and 'wrong'. My daughter is 26 months and she's really only starting to understand the concept of behaving properly at meals. Not to say she was horrible before, but they do drop and throw food off the table, they do throw forks and spoons, and sometimes plates. But they also throw toys and balls, etc. and it takes time for them to understand you don't do that with food. It's not obvious that it would be any different to them at first.

You'll have a sense of when it's obviously intentional and something to intervene on, and when it's just playing and they don't get it. I would definitely pick it up and try to reinforce that food stays on the table by saying something like, 'let's eat nicely and keep our food on our plate', but I wouldn't get upset and shout no because it will probably just change the atmosphere of the meal and not actually have much effect in terms of stopping the behaviour. There will be time later when she has more understanding of what's good behaviour and what's not so good that you can really drive that home, but for now, I wouldn't think it would do much good to focus on it too much. But you can cook with her (sit her at the table with you while you chop vegetables and show her things as they are cooking) and eat with her, and that will model good behaviour and get her interested in food, and I think it will come with time.

Mine became interested in table foods at about that age (he's 20mos now). But everything had to pass the "mommy test" - if he didn't see me eat it first he would refuse it, and he still does that sometimes if the food is unfamiliar. He would throw the food all over the place but he's breaking the habit of doing that for fun, now he just does it once the food gets boring/he's done. Now he will typically hand it back to me and if I don't take it - it gets thrown everywhere.

It was anxiety-provoking to get him onto table foods. And he still eats baby food from time to time, especially when he's teething really bad or has an upset stomach.
I'm lucky that he's more and more interested in table foods and I also feel lucky that I have baby foods to fall back on when I just can't get him to eat anything! With moving on to table foods I always worry whether he's getting enough proper nutrition. He still gets Stage 3 formula at bedtime and takes nonfat dry milk the rest of the time because he has an intolerance to whole milk (which is what we drink). The formula holds him longer so he gets that at bedtime.

It's frustrating to go through this stage because you cook/make foods and throw them away. But it will get easier a little at a time!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->