When do you pump? How do you know if you need to?

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
OK, so I'm a little confused about pumping. And this is a three part question. :flower:

1) If you're also BF'ing, but want to start developing a supply to store in the freezer/fridge. How do you do this? How do you know when you should pump so that you don't deplete your milk for when you want to BF your baby? I'm so worried that I'll feed him, he'll go down for a nap or something and I'll feel the need to pump and then he wakes up and wants to feed but I have nothing to offer him. :( How do you manage this?

2) When I'm at work, how do I know when its time to pump? Do I just set a schedule for myself, or will I feel the need? Like pressure, pain...? :shrug: Is this like a once an hour, once every three hours, twice a day sort of thing? I'm so clueless...

3) How fast does your milk re-supply after you feed or pump?
Hours? Half hour?

Thanks ladies!!

I guess this just got me all excited since last night after my shower I was about to start putting my stretch mark oil on and saw both bbs beading up with clear and white liquid! My mama boobs are preparing! :haha:

I knew when I needed to pump as my breasts would feel full and start to become tight and painful. However if you want to continue your milk supply for as long as possible then I would set a schedule and pump around every 3 hours as I slowed down from this and so started producing less milk until eventually I could stop. My midwife suggested pumping the breast my son had fed from afterwards to ensure it was empty and then pumping the other breast until that was empty too to keep my breasts producing plenty of milk for expressing.
If you're in the uk you should be invited along to a breastfeeding class before you have bubba though. That way you can ask any questions you want!

Ooooooh exciting that your boobs are gearing up for service! (Side note: You probably know this already, but your actual milk won't come in until baby is 3-5 days old, before that it's just a small amount of collostrum. So no need to worry if there's "not much" in the beginning.)

About pumping:

1.) To avoid "being empty" for baby, I express straight after feeding. If you express around the same time each day, your breasts will adjust to the demand and make more milk. Be careful not to express too much early on (before 6 weeks or so), otherwise you might risk ending up with an oversupply. The rule is: The more you take out, the more is produced.

2.) At work, you'd express when you'd normally feed baby in order to keep up normal supply. So if your baby feeds every 3 hours, you express every 3 hours at work. If they feed every 2, you express every 2 etc. You'll likely feel full when it's time to express in the early days but might not, especially later on. So I'd definitely go by the clock there.

3.) How fast you have more milk varies from woman to woman. I find that I can express 3-4 ounces and then still feed LO and she's usually fine. Definitely if I leave it 30 minutes or so. This could be shorter or longer for you though and you won't know until you try. Your best bet is to express straight after feeding LO if you get anything then, or in the middle of a longer stretch between feeds if they have a reliable one (eg my LO always goes 3 hours between feeds in the morning).

If you can, I'd leave expressing until about 6 weeks in. At that point, your milk supply is established and there's less chance of over stimulating it and you'll have a rough idea of how often LO usually feeds. Best of luck with it all! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->