When do you start giving babies water?

crysttal

MOM
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I plan to breastfeed but clueless as to when to introduce water. Will appreciate your response.:thumbup:

I didn't give my LO water until we started weaning at 6 months, and offered him a sippy cup at each meal.

Don't worry about if its a hot day etc. if you breastfeed especially dehydration is not an issue because the breastmilk adjusts itself to be more thirst quenching. If you formula feed at any point it's made up with water so again no problem.

5/6 months when you introduce food.

Breastfed babies in particular dont need water unless its very very hot. Our bodies are very good at making just what babies need.

As the other posters have said you really won't need to until it comes to weaning time. I personally did have to give my dd water very early but that was only due to constipation issues. She ended up really needing that extra oz of water to keep her regular. But in most cases 5-6 months is the normal :)

Whilst formula feeding I always gave my son water whenever he wanted a drink. It was one of the things I tried when he cried.

Whilst BF'ing though I never did.

We gave tiny sips about 10ml through out the day from about 3 months.
We lived in a stupidly hot flat (34 degress with all windows open) so hv said it was best to do so and it never caused any problems.

Bubs was around 16 weeks whilst I was Breastfeeding, though that was when we went on holiday to lanzarote and it was roasting! Even then he would only take a few sips from a spoon and he wouldn't take a bottle

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->