When do you start weaning your lo?

I read recently that 48% of babies are weaning before 4 months, 48% are weaned between 4-6 months, and only 2% are weaned at or after the recommeneded 6 months.

There is some great information on weaning here:
https://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
and
https://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

My LO is 5 and a half months, and is exclusively breastfed. We will start weaning at 6 months.

I read recently that 48% of babies are weaning before 4 months, 48% are weaned between 4-6 months, and only 2% are weaned at or after the recommeneded 6 months.

There is some great information on weaning here:
https://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
and
https://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

My LO is 5 and a half months, and is exclusively breastfed. We will start weaning at 6 months.

Wow, those are some alarming statistics!!

We will be doing BLW at 6 months.

Aisling was just over 5 months. I had wanted to wait until 6 months and do BLW but she was losing weight so went on the advice of our GP.

My hv gave me a 'talk' on weaning, that there is no need before 6 months - yet the card I got from the doctors has on it: 16 weeks - start weaning (!!)

We're waiting until Máilie's 6 months and we'll be doing BLW.

6 months if you can hold out. If not you'll probably give in at 3-4 months, which isn't what I'd consider best, but many would dispute it.

Does it not depend what you call weaning?
My mum would have had us on baby rice by now but not ''food food''.

Mine is starting to really take notice of us eating now and I give her a smell of whatever it is, but I think she's satisfied on her milk for now.

weaning, IMO is starting them on anything other than milk, no matter what the amount. Baby rice included.

Although I never used baby rice tbh.

weaning, IMO is starting them on anything other than milk, no matter what the amount. Baby rice included.

Although I never used baby rice tbh.

Yes, there does seem to be a different definition of weaning in the UK and US.

Like you, I refer to anything other than milk, in any amount, as weaning.

Others (mainly US) define weaning as stopping milk as the main thing - so when a LO is on 'real food'.

I was planning to start when my lo is 4 months as hes a big baby and always hungry. i cant see me waiting til 6 months xx

I was planning to start when my lo is 4 months as hes a big baby and always hungry. i cant see me waiting til 6 months xx

Is he breast or formula fed?

Big and hungry doesn't mean they need early weaning. My LO is on the 98th centile and is a hungry baby, but he won't be weaned till 6 months.

Hunger can be conqured with milk, which is much better for them x

Big and hungry doesn't mean they need early weaning. My LO is on the 98th centile and is a hungry baby, but he won't be weaned till 6 months.

Hes formula fed and also on the 98th centil. can i ask why you are waiting til 6 months hun? xx

Hes formula fed and also on the 98th centil. can i ask why you are waiting til 6 months hun? xx

He is happy, gaining weight and meeting milestones. Most (all?) agencies and bodies recommend weaning at 6 months, so we'll wait for then. He is breastfed so I feed him on demand, which works well for us.

From what I've read, delaying solids till 6 months gives his digestive system a chance to mature, and also decreases the chance of allergies, eczema, hayfever etc. It might also help protect against obesity.

Breastfeeding is also really important to me, and early weaning can sometimes affect breastfeeding, making it stop prematurely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->