When do you stop swaddling???

We actually develop the reflex for a reason, and its main purpose is to learn how to correctly respond to stimuli. An infant and baby's ability to self sooth is important; not as if mom isn't there if need be.

Do you have any sources for that? Based on the research I've seen the most popular theory describes the reflex as a vestigial trait from the days whem our prehuman ancestors had to cling to their mothers as young infants. I've never heard about it teaching babies "how to correctly respond to stimuli," but I'd be interesting in reading about it if there's new information available.

I was actually paraphrasing what I have read and watched about the startle reflex. Yes, it is a primitive reflex. Essentially, at the beginning stages of development (the first months) the physical expression of the reflex is actually the result of baby's inability to control his or her limbs and as it integrates into later stages of development, the infant learns to control these reflexes, which indicates development of baby's central nervous system. I personally do not believe in inhibiting this reflex.

The quote I identified with is located in this article:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...ats-the-new-parental-question/article4560252/

“Are you really supposed to be preventing the [startle reflex]? Is it not there as a protective mechanism?” Luther asked. “It keeps the engine going.”

Also, a video that better explains what I have just paraphrased in my response to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdiCep6OStA

We stopped at 4 months when she was continuously rolling over. It was very tough for us, we had to wean her off the swaddle by doing a week of one arm in the swaddle, and one arm out, b/c she still had a bad startle reflex. That was the worst week ever! None of us got any sleep. Eventually she got used to the idea by 5 months and it was a lot better.

If the baby wasn't swaddled in the first place they'd not need to be weaned from them. They'd have already dealt with that issue weeks ago.

I like the look of the pekemoe -I'd not class that as swaddling. More like a sleep sack. Swaddling restricts movement of the limbs - I think babies would move just fine in a pekemoe.

We stopped at 4 months when she was continuously rolling over. It was very tough for us, we had to wean her off the swaddle by doing a week of one arm in the swaddle, and one arm out, b/c she still had a bad startle reflex. That was the worst week ever! None of us got any sleep. Eventually she got used to the idea by 5 months and it was a lot better.

I'm dreading her rolling for this very reason. During the day for naps she does not sleep in a swaddle, but at night she has to have it. Its the only way we can get her to sleep soundly.

She is starting to roll to her side and figure out how to roll so I'm going to be going through this soon. :dohh:

we swaddled till she was 4 months I think. The transition from swaddle (we used Woombie) to sleep sack was eventless :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->