When is controlled crying acceptable?!

Age and number of children will never make you more knowledgable on the science of infant care, it will only ever make you more experienced... I perhaps spent too much of my time reading scientific research during pregnancy.

Also before Thomas was born I was on my way to become a doctor, now I've decided I want to become a pediatrician.... So I do alot of reading on infant behaviour/illnesses etc etc...

Age and number of children will never make you more knowledgable on the science of infant care, it will only ever make you more experienced... I perhaps spent too much of my time reading scientific research during pregnancy.

Also before Thomas was born I was on my way to become a doctor, now I've decided I want to become a pediatrician.... So I do alot of reading on infant behaviour/illnesses etc etc...
I want to be a Mum not have a degree in the science of infant care :wacko: My experience will be my instinct my experience will be learning whats right for my baby ... my experience will be looking at how other Mums do things taking that in and keeping in mind.

I love to see how other Mums do things thats what this site is about but we may as well type some crap up stick it on the front page IN YOUR FACE & close the forum down!

I like the idea of being a Mummy being realistic.

I still very much don't apprieciate the wordings/assumtions you have used in this topic regardless of anyone seeing it as harmless because its not its offended a handful & has been very much in your face what I do know is YOUR RIGHT to your standards of being Mum so fair play personally I have discarded all of it.

I'm so glad at the moment we have medical teams in our area that are realistic I feel for those who I see come across those in child medical care that ram things down mothers throat and mother walking away feeling completely lousy about herself.

I'm actually done with the replies & debate on your views Fiona I see what you've done very clearly I think its very wrong & have now discarded it as mentioned above.

I didn't put that in to put the boot in, I am no better than anyone else, as I'm not qualified. It's just showing why I have such an avid interest in all things.... I now practically fill my library with books relating to babies.

On a note: I've seen other people post against other things on this forum and have not been hounded like I have here, ie against vaccinations - and most Mothers vaccinate (to quote "vaccinations are not healthy for our children"). Perhaps they were implicating that all Mothers who vaccinate have harmed their children?

And at the end of the day we are told we're endangering our children everyday, and my comments are only a speck in the universe of them all. We see them everyday in the media for a start.

I believe in all walks of life everything is open to debate, you don't need to start with remarks against me like that.

I am never here to make Mothers doubt themselves as a parent - I just show factual evidence. Just as all pediatricians and GPs will say and most know, breastmilk is much better than formula. As is controlled crying is not the ideal for babies, again backed up by many people - 'experts'.

At the end of the day it is a Mothers choice, based on factual evidence.
Fiona, I think you want to get your nose out of whatever books you're reading and get back to your baby. When you have twins, maybe you can be little miss expert. We all do things differently as parents, sometimes when Bethanie goes to bed I can't wait to get downstairs and pour a glass of wine, hell i'll drink the whole bottle actually.. thats none of your business, nor does it make my mothering skills any worse than yours.

If you want to quote books, 'expert' information.. then fine go for it, but don't speak to people like shit because they don't share your opinion.

Fiona, I think you want to get your nose out of whatever books you're reading and get back to your baby. When you have twins, maybe you can be little miss expert. We all do things differently as parents, sometimes when Bethanie goes to bed I can't wait to get downstairs and pour a glass of wine, hell i'll drink the whole bottle actually.. thats none of your business, nor does it make my mothering skills any worse than yours.

If you want to quote books, 'expert' information.. then fine go for it, but don't speak to people like shit because they don't share your opinion.

Here Here thats a true mummy talking!! xxxx

Well all I will say is being a doctor does not make you the expert on all things ( I for one do not regard docs as godlike creatures who must be obeyed and are always right, no offense to the docs out there!) You do gain more knowledge and experience with each child, assuming you are open and flexible. You can spend hours reading research,passing exams, but nothing takes the place of hands on experience and dare I say a mothers INSTINCT???:headspin:

Everyones got their "own way" that works with their baby! When Noah was first born I would rush to check him if he cried! I have to admit now its so unusual for him to cry, its only normally a tired moan or if he's hungry! I think I've only ever seen tears once!
I'm quite comfortable to leave him playing (obviosly making sure he can't roll anywhere or get anything) or in his bouncer chair while I jump in the shower, I always leave the bathroom door open so I can hear him, he's normally yapping to himself or shouting at the TV!
We have a very good routine and I think it works really well, 7pm Bathtime, then bedroom to get dry and PJ's then a bottle with the light off & hall light on and then in to bed! He'll go off in a matter of mins! I would never co-sleep and thats simply because I'm a very heavy sleeper and would never trust myself and I'd also worry about what would happen when he HAD to be moved to his own bed!

There has been a couple of times when he's been over tired and cried (only for a matter of mins) in his cot but I would never dream of picking him up! If it were a pain cry or he was sick then obviosly I would!
I think he's a very independant baby, he'll go to anybody and he's not "attached" to me which I think is good! My friend has a 1yr old and she never left him constantly gave him attention, wouldn't leave him to cry (not even for a min) she co-sleeps and if her LO wakes in the night and he's not touching her he'll scream! When we go swimming she can't even put him down to get herself dry cos he screams, if someone else tries to pick him up he goes mad. Just recently he's started talking and if you say 'no' even just something simple like 'No adam, be carefull!' he'll scream!! She can't even go the loo without him! I think thats down to the fact that she's never 'left' him! She's now PG again and I'm just wondering whats going to happen when the new baby arrives?

On the whole Noah doesn't really cry and he's a very good baby and I'm very lucky, still when 7oclock comes and once he's asleep I love having 'me time' having a little drink (As I am now!) or nice bath!

'Experts' maybe experts but their not always right & practical! I think every mum knows their baby and do what they think is best for their baby!

So yeah, I think controlled crying is fine!

My friend has a 1yr old and she never left him constantly gave him attention, wouldn't leave him to cry (not even for a min) she co-sleeps and if her LO wakes in the night and he's not touching her he'll scream! When we go swimming she can't even put him down to get herself dry cos he screams, if someone else tries to pick him up he goes mad. Just recently he's started talking and if you say 'no' even just something simple like 'No adam, be carefull!' he'll scream!! She can't even go the loo without him! I think thats down to the fact that she's never 'left' him! She's now PG again and I'm just wondering whats going to happen when the new baby arrives?

My believe in AP parenting too, like your friend, and my infant is very confident now. He used to be very clingy (although I'm not so keen on that word), but I found that was more frustration and the pain of reflux than anything else. Now he's been crawling for a month and and is getting faster and more experienced, can pull himself up on things to reach what he wants and is on new reflux treatment it has stopped. He still comes over to me and asks me for cuddles, by pulling on my leg. But I think that is lovely.... :cloud9:

He understands phrases like 'No' and 'Let Go'. Which is responds to positively most of the time.

I personally think AP tends to bring out the opposite, but all babies are different at the end of the day, and have differing personalities.

They say between 12-18 months, a baby can recall a mental image of the most familiar caregivers. This image helps to provide a secure base so the infant can begin to move more easily from the familiar to the unfamiliar. The mental presence of the mother allows the infant to, in effect, take mother with her as she moves further away from the mother to explore and learn about her environment. AP children show less anxiety when moving away from their mothers to explore toys. These babies mentally and physically check in with mother for reassurance and a familiar ";t's okay' to explore. The mother seems to add energy to the infant's explorations, since the infant does not need to waste energy worry whether she is there. During an unfamiliar play situation, the mother gives a sort of "go ahead" message, providing the toddler with confidence to explore and handle the strange situation. The next time the toddler encounters a similar situation, he has confidence to handle it by himself without enlisting his mother. The consistent emotional availability of the mother provides trust, culminating in the child's developing a very important quality of independence: the capacity to be alone.

One without this can lack confidence that his attachment figures will be accessible to him when he needs them. He may adopt a clinging strategy to ensure that they will be available. Because he is always preoccupied with it or else spends tremendous energy "managing" without it. This preoccupation hinders individuation, exploration, and possibly learning. In essence, the attachment-parented baby learns to trust and develop a sense of self. These qualities foster appropriate independence. Studies have shown that infants who develop a secure attachment to their mothers are better able to tolerate separation from them when they are older. As one mother of an AP child said: "He's not spoilt; he's perfectly fresh!"

But this is my argument to what you said. I know some would argue that because a child finds it quite normal to cope without his Mother being there, he finds it easier to explore ad be on his own.

My believe in AP parenting too, like your friend, and my infant is very confident now. He used to be very clingy (although I'm not so keen on that word), but I found that was more frustration and the pain of reflux than anything else. Now he's been crawling for a month and and is getting faster and more experienced, can pull himself up on things to reach what he wants and is on new reflux treatment it has stopped. He still comes over to me and asks me for cuddles, by pulling on my leg. But I think that is lovely.... :cloud9:

He understands phrases like 'No' and 'Let Go'. Which is responds to positively most of the time.

I personally think AP tends to bring out the opposite, but all babies are different at the end of the day, and have differing personalities.

They say between 12-18 months, a baby can recall a mental image of the most familiar caregivers. This image helps to provide a secure base so the infant can begin to move more easily from the familiar to the unfamiliar. The mental presence of the mother allows the infant to, in effect, take mother with her as she moves further away from the mother to explore and learn about her environment. AP children show less anxiety when moving away from their mothers to explore toys. These babies mentally and physically check in with mother for reassurance and a familiar ";t's okay' to explore. The mother seems to add energy to the infant's explorations, since the infant does not need to waste energy worry whether she is there. During an unfamiliar play situation, the mother gives a sort of "go ahead" message, providing the toddler with confidence to explore and handle the strange situation. The next time the toddler encounters a similar situation, he has confidence to handle it by himself without enlisting his mother. The consistent emotional availability of the mother provides trust, culminating in the child's developing a very important quality of independence: the capacity to be alone.

One without this can lack confidence that his attachment figures will be accessible to him when he needs them. He may adopt a clinging strategy to ensure that they will be available. Because he is always preoccupied with it or else spends tremendous energy "managing" without it. This preoccupation hinders individuation, exploration, and possibly learning. In essence, the attachment-parented baby learns to trust and develop a sense of self. These qualities foster appropriate independence. Studies have shown that infants who develop a secure attachment to their mothers are better able to tolerate separation from them when they are older. As one mother of an AP child said: "He's not spoilt; he's perfectly fresh!"

But this is my argument to what you said. I know some would argue that because a child finds it quite normal to cope without his Mother being there, he finds it easier to explore ad be on his own.

I personally think...

WOW we have Dr. Sears on BabyandBump!!!!!

You're really doing my head in now... The least you can do is give credit for the mindless drivel you're spouting.
(I say 'mindless drivel' because you don't need any comprehension to copy and paste, not because of Dr. Sears opinions)

4. AP promotes independence
https://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T130500.asp (quoted word for word)

Now why don't you go back and find something else to quote at us!

at risk of being shouted at I don;t think she has put herself as some kind of expert, just put forward some information for others. I have had a habit of using quotes from websites, so people can read it themselves not me saying I am an expert on these matters. this is one of those discussions that there can be strong differing view points (hence why I have been reading only and not joined in about CC.

I agree, but there is a difference between quoting websites to be helpful and quoting websites to be right (even worse when you pass off other peoples work to prove a point with absolutely no basis or experience for choosing these "opinions" as your own, other than to "appear" like they know what they are talking about).

Sorry beanie that wasn't a dig at you, just my reasoning for posting on this thread.

My god! I havent read through the last 2 pages as it was starting to annoy me.
You can state FACTs until you are red in the face, but the main fact is EVERY baby is different, each is unique and has different needs, you can read all the books on child care possible, but the best thing you will ever do is to throw them away and follow your own instinct.

How you raise your child is up to you and you alone, unless you are causing trauma, abuse, or neglect.

Even so called health proffesionals get it wrong!

I raise my son, he has been vaccinated, i use calpol, medised. He gets smacked if he is very naughty, and we have a naughty chair for minor incidents. He was never slinged, and was never left to cry for long periods.
and at 2.5 yrs old he still wakes at night!!! i have done controlled crying but it did not feel right, and it killed me to leave him crying. Although i know when he was becoming distressed so i would quit at that point.
Anyway i am rambling now.
Waits for all the .......

I have read this thread with my jaw hitting my desk!!!
Beanie don't be sad, i love your advice, you don't thrust it down people throats as being the one and only way to raise a child, Jack wouldn't have a been a cloth bum if it wasn't for you :)

At the end of the day all children and all parents are differant, what works for one child might not work for another, even siblings( and i should know!!!)

This innocent thread on controlled crying as turned in to a child abuse witch hunt IMO especially with the video clip :roll:, there is a bit of diffenace in letting a baby cry itself to sleep in upto 5 minutes than leaving it all day, so it learns that no one comes!!!

I am actually a trained nursery nurse and i will offer advice if i think i can help, not say this is the way you should do X Y &Z and there is no room for manouver, my way is the best so there!!
That is the way certain posts have come across in this thread, I was going to reply yesterday but was so annoyed with basically being told i was negleting my children that i had to switch the PC off

The advice i offer comes from the heart and over 12 years childcare experinace Inc raising my own
A lot of the time you need to follow your instincts and not follow text books word for word, if you do this you are heading for a big fall

We are all mums who at the end of the day want to do the best for our children and sometimes that means being flexible and taking other ideas on board.
Attacking some one who leaves a baby to cry it out when they are safe and warm and don't need anything is way out of order.

Books Vs Experiance and mistakes, i know which i would go for everytime

omg im shocked tahts all i can say

u all great mum and you all know whats right for ur baby and u will know when to CC is right and whether it suits u or not .

I know im not a mum yet but i would use CC as i have seen it work first hand laura used it with ella and if and when i do it i would ask her as she has been succesfil at it ,she can tel u more but its hard to do even thou they are not crying for pain hungry or dirty nappy u all know the difference in their cries xxx

WOW we have Dr. Sears on BabyandBump!!!!!

You're really doing my head in now... The least you can do is give credit for the mindless drivel you're spouting.
(I say 'mindless drivel' because you don't need any comprehension to copy and paste, not because of Dr. Sears opinions)

I apologise, and now realise I should have put "" around it. I started typing out my own explanation, but I was so tired I just couldn't seem to make it decipherable. I was pretty tired, did you see what time I posted it?

I stay up till the wee hours because my infant can only take little amounts and 'dream feed' because feeds are so distressing, therefore I feed regularly before I go to sleep.

I am tired of this argument. And still think controlled crying could be bad for a babies health. Many studies point to this, and there is no evidence to show it doesn't cause any harm, and this should be found out.

I know you'll all be all thankful to know, that I shall stick to forums and know and prefer from now on. And I can already here perhaps many cheers of 'Good riddance'. So I would ask, please do not post anything along them lines.

On another note, I have just realised why that clip is so offensive. I shall remove it straight away, it was only to point out 'Bringing Up Baby' (more for non-UK residents). I didn't watch it to the end, assuming it was just the advert I'd see on TV.

I am embarrassed about that. And again I deeply apologise. I don't think controlled crying is anywhere related to child abuse or neglect. I just believe there should be more studies done on the subject to justify it.

On another note, I have just realised why that clip is so offensive.

That's what prompted me to post on this thread (as most know I don't usually post on many threads), and probably why you got so much back chat. I was raging when I saw that.

I apologise, and now realise I should have put "" around it. I started typing out my own explanation, but I was so tired I just couldn't seem to make it decipherable. I was pretty tired, did you see what time I posted it?

I stay up till the wee hours because my infant can only take little amounts and 'dream feed' because feeds are so distressing, therefore I feed regularly before I go to sleep.

I am tired of this argument. And still think controlled crying could be bad for a babies health. Many studies point to this, and there is no evidence to show it doesn't cause any harm, and this should be found out.

I know you'll all be all thankful to know, that I shall stick to forums and know and prefer from now on. And I can already here perhaps many cheers of 'Good riddance'. So I would ask, please do not post anything along them lines.

On another note, I have just realised why that clip is so offensive. I shall remove it straight away, it was only to point out 'Bringing Up Baby' (more for non-UK residents). I didn't watch it to the end, assuming it was just the advert I'd see on TV.

I am embarrassed about that. And again I deeply apologise. I don't think controlled crying is anywhere related to child abuse or neglect. I just believe there should be more studies done on the subject to justify it.

i for one hope you stay on the forum,i believe that this is a big enough forum for all these differing opinions. I have found the info you have posted, especially on vaccinations and extended nursing very helpful as these are areas where I do find that there isn't much info readily available.

we all have different views on things,i have read posts where the parenting decisions i have chosen have been described as disturbing or told it is bad for them. we all do what we feel is best for our kids but it is always good to discuss our choices.

This is really winding me up... I apologise but Wobbles was simply asking for some advice from other mum's own experiences with their kids- I don't think she needed to know the scientific research on it..she is more than capable of browsing the internet and books for herself- And i for one do not believe any amount of books will make you a better mother, I think only experience can do that! I'm sure you are only trying to help Fiona but I find your remarks on this forum very judgemental and alot of the time you seem to be questioning us as mums and lowering our confidence at being capable of caring for our babies. It appears to me that its your way or no way. your advice and i highlight that because most of the advice has been taken from websites is fine but not when your forcing it upon others. I do not think there is a right or wrong way..but the way that works best for your own child.Why must you always refer to books? Can u not use your own instincts? Again i apologise, I do not wish to offend but it seems you have gone and done just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->