When safe to use a blanket in crib?

Brz04

Reaction score
At what age did you start putting a blanket in the crib with your LO? Our little guy is 10mo old and I'm curious when it's considered "safe" to leave one in with him to sleep because it will start getting cold in a few months here!

A lot of ppl suggest 12 months. Or at least when your LO is old enough to move things away from their face and realize when they can't breathe.

I would do some research into it though. A lot of things surrounding pregnancy and LO's is over exaggerated. Or you can even ask your MW / OB and see what they say.

We put one in when he was about 6m, he seemed to hate his sleeping bag and he was waking up cold so felt I didn't really have a choice. He's had one in his cot every night since then until this week when it's dropped cooler and we tried a sleeping bag again and he accepted it. I'd say 10m is ok. If Jenson got too warm he'd kick the blanket off to the bottom of his cot and wriggle away. Depends on how you feel about it really.

I started using a cellular blanket at around 14 months, before that I was using a grobag x

We used a cellular blanket from birth but tucked the end under the matress so it couldn't be pulled up. It's also what I was given to use when I was in hospital (3 nights) - everyone had them. If you don't use a blanket, what see you supposed to use?! We didn't put him in a sleeping bag until he was a couple of months old because the head hole looked quite big and I didn't want him slipping through it.

We still don't use one at 21 months. Grobag's are the best for us. No worries about her being cold etc.

There is a weight limit for gro bags, I believe it's over 8 or 10lb (different for each brand). Neither of mine were that weight at birth. I used a cellular blanket from birth but like a pp said tucked it in. My youngest is 8 months now and uses a regular blanket but it is fairly breathable. He can move around a lot so it wouldn't get on too of him without him pulling it off

Just to add that I was using blankets at first, I only changed to a grobag when T started to roll over x

I've used blankets since day one. My dd has had a duvet in her junior bed for the past few months too. We moved her at 15 months.

used them since birth just tuck them into the mattress

Another from day one user. Just tucked it down underneath the mattress so it couldn't be lifted up.

Hate those baby sleeping bags..

Another since birth here. We bedshared for the first 5 months (he had his own blanket), and still bedshare sometimes now but he's mostly in his crib and has had his own blanket since I put him in there.

Neither of my kids would be swaddled or use a sleeping bag - and I tried four different ones with DS!! He always had two blankets in his cot. I used a side sleeper for him though so he couldn't slide down under the blankets. Just tuck them in. At about 8/9 months I stopped tucking them cos he got too hot and liked to kick them off. If I didn't tuck them in, he would just kick his feet out and keep his body covered. Which is exactly how I sleep:haha:

I use tucked in blanket for DD since day one too.

I've used a Cellular blanket from birth. I just tuck it tightly all the way under his mattress.

We use a very thin toddler duvet now and 10.5months- we used blankets til 6 weeks then used sleeping/gro bags, but she is off the scale for height and found them restrictive- being a wriggly sleeper she was getting tangled up in the sleeping bag and screaming! Now she pulls the duvet up when she is cold and wriggles all over her cot! I know its not advised but it works for us. She still has an apnoea alarm in her cot too in case she ever pulled it over her face and didnt move it! X

Since birth ours have had blankets, when little we tucked them under the mattress but after watching them pull them from under there we just use light blankets or cellular. Will be changing to a toddler duvet and pillow soon as Amy will be one and it's getting colder at night xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->