when should i start taking my pre-natal vitamins?

cinnamum

Mumof_7_PREG W#8
Reaction score
i have no idea! :dohh: i didn't take folic acid until i was 5 weeks pregnant with TJ :dohh:so if anyone could tell me i'd really appreciate it x x x x x :hugs:

I think it is good to take now? I read your other post about when you were gonna start. :D :D

Hi Cinnamum (cute name),

My doctor recommended to start taking them about 2-3 months before you plan to conceive so you can build up the folic acid in your system. :hug:

I think it is good to take now? I read your other post about when you were gonna start. :D :D

were really excited!:happydance:

so if i take folic acid i carry on taking it through until the 2nd trimester?:dohh:
or do i change?:dohh:
do i need multivitamins???:dohh:
HELP!!! :rofl:x x x x :dohh::hugs:

I would take the prenatal vitamins and take them through out your whole pregnancy. :D Very exciting!!

i know i sound thick but... is folic acid another way of saying prenatal vitamins?
yeh it is very exciting! aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh! your lil girl is gorgeous btw x x x x

hiya Mrs!

Folic acid seems to be the main recommended one but you can take pre-natal multivits which have lots of stuff in them as well as the folic acid. I'm taking Sainsbury's prenatal ones now that are only £2.50 for a month's supply. If you go to Boots or go for a named brand you can pay a lot more but I don't know that there's any difference.

I'm starting to try at the same time as you and I've started taking them now so I can start getting in the routine.

:D x

coolios, so sorry if i sounded like a nobber i just sometimes have nappy brain moments!:rofl:
thanks everyone x x x x x x:hugs::hugs::hugs:

You can buy straight folic acid (800 mcg is the recommended dosage for pre-natal / pregnancy), or you can buy a pre-natal vitamin which is like a multi-vitamin including the folic acid. If you decide to take a regular multi-vitamin in conjuction with straight folic acid, make sure you check how much vitamin A is in your multi-vitamin, because too much of this can cause problems too.

I looked up pre-natal vitamins online to find the recommended dosages.

O:)

You can buy straight folic acid (800 mcg is the recommended dosage for pre-natal / pregnancy), or you can buy a pre-natal vitamin which is like a multi-vitamin including the folic acid. If you decide to take a regular multi-vitamin in conjuction with straight folic acid, make sure you check how much vitamin A is in your multi-vitamin, because too much of this can cause problems too.

I looked up pre-natal vitamins online to find the recommended dosages.

O:)

oh thanks for pointing that out x x x :hugs:

The recommended dose in the UK seems to be 400mcg, but it doesn't seem to have any bad effects if it's overdosed.

If you've got family history of spina bifida then your doc may encourage you to take up to 5mg (5000mcg). I have family history and further to a previous thread I posted I'm taking 800mcg (in line with Jewels' recommendations too!) until I get to see the doc.

HTH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->