When to give solids - during a milk feed or inbetween milk feeds?

haggle-b

Mum of 3, 2 dd's & 1 ds
Reaction score
As the title says - when do you think its best to give solids - with a milk feed (either in the middle or just after) or inbetween milk feeds (eg have bottle, then an hour or so later offer food)?

when they are not hungry, so in between feeds, it would be good for your lo to sit in their highchair while you eat and give them what you are having

I always leave a gap of 1.5-2 hrs between milk & solids since we started weaning

My HV gave me a guide that says basically before 7-8 months milk before solids, after 7-8 months milk after solids. :shrug: I personally see how it goes each day in terms of milk feeds and mealtimes (and mood!).

I asked my HV this yesterday because I could'nt get my head around the timings. She said to set three mealtimes that fit in with us, regardless of the times of bottles, so that LO can benefit from the social side of eating as well as the nutrition.

I give milk first thing in the morning, mid afternoon and before bed. Then solids in between at 10am, 12pm and 5pm. We have lunch and breakfast together but he has tea on his own (as 5pm is too early for us to eat).

My LO feeds at;

8am - 6oz + half an oatibix
11.30am/12pm - 6oz
3.30pm/4pm - 6oz + rice with fruit
7.30pm - 7oz
sometimes he has another 6oz at 10.30pm if he wakes.

I had been giving him solids first but found that he was too hungry to be bothered so now I give him milk first then solids. I had introduced veggies at tea time but he was dropping too much milk so I dropped it and shuffled around his solid times until he gets hungrier an needs a 3rd meal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->