When to start 5oz bottles?

geordiemoo

Reaction score
This is my second ff dd yet for some reason I feel like a total novice again. Dd is 4 weeks tomorrow and gas been on 4 oz bottles for 2 weeks. I make 7 a day and she drains at least 4 of them, sometimes 5 and drinks some of the others. Should I be starting on 5 oz bottles or is it too soon. Dh thinks its too soon but at least once a day she wants more very soon after so I end up making 2 oz bottles to supplement.

My lo is 4 weeks old today and we started on 5oz bottle 2 days ago because sometimes she would finish a 4oz bottle and still seem hungry afterwards.

My theory is that even if we have to throw away 1-2oz every now and again, at least there is the option for her to drink more the times she is hungry.

Xx

Thanks for replying. Think we might start soon too then, I think she's definitely ready some of the time for a bit more. The formula carton says at 2 months they will be on 6 x 6oz bottles a day so moving to 5 oz ones soon should be right?

Thanks for replying. Think we might start soon too then, I think she's definitely ready some of the time for a bit more. The formula carton says at 2 months they will be on 6 x 6oz bottles a day so moving to 5 oz ones soon should be right?

I use aptamil and the formula cartons says:

0-2 weeks 6 x 3oz
2-4 weeks 5 x 4oz
4-8 weeks 5 x 5oz
8-12 weeks 5 x 6oz

But says on carton some babies will need more or less than these recommended amounts.

So I think you'll be fine increasing to 5oz now

Thanks for that. My dd has been on much more than 5 x 4oz, greedy monkey! I think I'll trial the 5 oz ones and see how she goes. I'm sure I vaguely remember that once they're emptying bottles you should increase then but I'm a bit rusty.

I was told that the right amount is the amount that is completely finished about half the time and where some is left unfinished the other half of the time. If she's draining 4-5 out of the 7 of them every day, I'd be inclined to make more and see what happens, rather than risk the hassle of having to make a bit extra, even if you waste some to start. I agree, it does sound like a lot, but every baby is different. We didn't switch to using some formula until 6-7 weeks, but even then, my daughter rarely finished 3 oz. but she's always had less than most babies.

I'm worried she's having too much but I mentioned to the hv who didn't seem bothered. After a very unsettled night where she had several bottles (a large then a small and so on) going to try 5oz bottles overnight and see if that makes a difference to her sleep. It's at night she seems to want more. I'm thinking if she's having more in 1 sitting she might lose the 7th bottle.

If she's draining bottles and you are having to make extra I'd say it's time to move to 5oz. My DS has never been a great eater but when we switched from 4-5pz he dropped from 6 to five bottles, think he was about 8 weeks at the time. At such a young age baby is only going to take what she needs so I wouldn't worry too much about over feeding her.

Thanks rainbow, she just must be a guzzler. We tried 5 oz bottles from last night. Teatime drank all of it no bother, 3 hours later when she wanted fed she drank most of it then was sick, so maybe it's a case of every other one for now, or if she's gone less time between then offer a smaller one. My first dd was very clockwork with bottles and was never sick which this one is, and she doesn't seem to stop eating haha.

It's typical, I tried bfing dd no1 which didn't go well and she lost a lot of weight and was slow building up the weight with ff. This one has guzzled from day 1 and is gaining masses of weight. If you're not worrying about one thing it's another.

My lo takes 5 Oz and is nearly 6 weeks now.I have been making 5 Oz for the last week or so. Sometimes she takes it all amd sometimes she leaves a bit. When we made 4 Oz she drained them all and most of the time wanted more.
I give her what she wants it and if she's full she stops taking it.
I don't believe u can force a baby to take more than they want

Well we started 5oz bottles yesterday and she had the most settled day and night ever and the longest sleep in one go of 5 and a half hours. And she only had 5 bottles yesterday. So all going well, seems it was a good move. Thanks for all advice, I think I should just trust my instinct and not worry about what she should be doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->