When to stop oral contraceptive?

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
We're planning on TTC after our wedding in April, but at the moment I'm on the combined pill and I'm wondering if I should stop it soon and use condoms in the meantime?

The thing stopping me is that we've been unlucky with condoms, we've had several break or slip, I particularly remember one time in Italy when I ended up spending a day explaining to disapproving Catholic doctors that I needed the MAP in terrible tourist Italian and loud English... :dohh:

I really don't want to be pregnant before the wedding and honeymoon, but at the same time I'm eager to conceive as early as possible to give my son a sibling.

Thoughts?

Congrats on your upcoming marriage, how exciting!

I came off my pill waaaaay before our wedding because I didn't want to be on it for longer than five years, and it took my periods a while before they were back to regular cycles. Everyone is different and your body may go back to normal as soon as you stop or it may take a while. If I was still on BC before our wedding I think I would've come off it a few months beforehand because I know it can take a while to get out of your system, but you'll have to be careful with condoms if you are known for mishaps.

I would talk to your husband and see what his thoughts are on alternative methods. I stopped taking them last time when I suddenly decided I was ready, and was pregnant two months later. This time I stopped when I thought I was ready, but decided I'm really not, but I'm still not taking them in case I change my mind.

I've heard you're more fertile right after ending the pill (never bothered to confirm it), so waiting until right before you're ready might be worth it if that is true. On the other hand, getting to know your cycle is good too, and having longer to do that before trying is helpful. So it's really going to come down to what works best for you!

It's advised to give your body a little break to get back to normal and it also depends on how you feell about it.
It took us 3 cycles after coming off the contraceptive pill to conceive with opks temping and all the other ttc strategies.
next time I'm coming off the pill a few months before ttc and will from time of actively ttc I'm going to take a much more laid back and fun approach

They do sometimes put people on the pill and take them off again just for a fertility boost. I don't think its a proven thing, but there is anecdotal evidence it works. I never bothered coming off the pill early last time I TTC and we caught straight away. I don't think its necessary to come off it if you don't want to.

I went off the pill in June and concieved in July without even trying so I put a little faith in being more fertile after coming off the pill. I would track your cycles for a while though so you know what normal is for you and be careful with alternative methods. Maybe try something other than condoms if you haven't had luck with them in the past.

Do what you thing is best for you and I hope things turn out how you want them to :)

I've come off contraception to use condoms in the meantime. I know some contraceptives like the depo injection are advised to be off in advance but I'm not sure about the combined pill? I'm pretty sure fertility returns to normal quite soon?

Your holiday story reminds me of mine.. trying to get the MAP in a tiny french town when I speak literally no French!! It was so embarrassing but we laugh about it now :haha:

I'd definitly recommend stopping now, but I'm biaised :p
I see it this way, "TTC" while waiting for your periods to come back is absolute agony, when you'll be ready, you'll be ready like now. While an accident could happen with condoms (chances are still pretty slim), the worst outcome is pregnancy a couple months early, while the alternative of contemplating infertility is well, horrible.
Best of luck!

I'm not sure how much the Pill/coming off the pill will change your cycle.. but if you know your cycle well then you could track ovulation and avoid sex altogether when you think it's your fertile time, and use condoms for sex the rest of the time? That way if there is slip-ups it will less likely result in pregnancy.

Just come off the pill before ttc in March to let my body get into some sort of cycle. Feel horrible. So tired, so many headaches. Glad we're not ttc yet when feeling like this

We're planning on TTC after our wedding in April, but at the moment I'm on the combined pill and I'm wondering if I should stop it soon and use condoms in the meantime?

The thing stopping me is that we've been unlucky with condoms, we've had several break or slip, I particularly remember one time in Italy when I ended up spending a day explaining to disapproving Catholic doctors that I needed the MAP in terrible tourist Italian and loud English... :dohh:

I really don't want to be pregnant before the wedding and honeymoon, but at the same time I'm eager to conceive as early as possible to give my son a sibling.

Thoughts?

My thoughts depend on how long you've been on the pill, any medical condition or reason you might have trouble conceiving, past experiences on and off birth control and how much you want to get pregnant right away after April...

If, as far as you know, you have a normal healthy reproductive system and feel relaxed in your TTC journey and feel good on the bcp, I'd stay on it until after the honeymoon. You'd have decent chances of having your ovulation return quite quickly and conceiving within a few months anyway, so why risk getting pregnant early and feeling like crap during your wedding and honeymoon, OR have to use condoms which takes away some of the spontenaeity, sensation and fun of sex, ESPECIALLY since it'll be your honeymoon.

BUT if you have a history of trouble TTC, pcos, decent chances that it'll take many months it might be worth getting a head start.

And LOOL for your Italy story ;) hehehee

Experiences vary between people I speak to but I came off my pill the month I wanted to start trying and got pregnant in my first cycles with both my children. I have friends who took longer xx

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to stop at the end of Feb and then we're going to 'abstain' until the wedding! It won't be easy but it'll make the wedding night more special!

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to stop at the end of Feb and then we're going to 'abstain' until the wedding! It won't be easy but it'll make the wedding night more special!

Ouf, so all of April without DTD! Should be a lot of fun on wedding night!

I was like you, I did not want to be pregnant before my wedding. Got married in June, stopped pill 1st July, took me 3 months to even get a proper period, now 7 months on I'm still no closer to my BFP. I wish I had come off at the beginning of the year and used condoms, it's very frustrating if you aren't one of the lucky ones who fall within a couple of months of stopping. Good Luck x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->