When will milk come in?

Eniala

Reaction score
When do most people have their milk come in? Not that I look forward to leaking, but I want to breastfeed and I want to make sure I'm producing. I see people talking about leaking already, and just wonder does everyone leak, or do some people not have it until baby comes?

I didn't leak at all until my son was born but this time its deffo there but only leaks if I lean on my boobs or put pressure on them! I'm quite glad I don't leak though tbh because its more sticky than anything lol xx

About 4 days after birth for proper milk to come in! But colostrum can start now or will start once baby is here xxx

I had no leaking (which would just be colostrum, not your actual milk) with my son, and have had very minimal leaking this pregnancy. It takes several days for your true milk to come in after baby is born - no leaking has NO indication of your ability to breastfeed, don't worry!!

Id say its more common to leak after birth rather then before, then the milk comes in 3-4 daya after birth.

I second what the other ladies have said. I didnt leak at all in my first pregnancy and my milk came in on day 3 or 4 (I was producing colostrum before that but I never actually saw any of it!). This time around I only leak a tiny amount if I squeeze my nipples (which I don't make a habit of doing!) x

I started leaking a bit at 18 weeks. But its just colostrum. The actual milk doesnt come in til about 3 days sfter baby is born

If you're leaking now it would be colostrum, milk comes in a few days after you deliver :) I started leaking colostrum a couple weeks before I had my son :) I wouldn't worry!

Thanks! So if it doesn't come in for a few days after birth, how will I feed him??

He feeds off the colostrum for the first few days, that's the good stuff :) xx

Thanks! So if it doesn't come in for a few days after birth, how will I feed him??

The milk is there right away, it just won't turn white (come in) for a few days.

Babies stomachs are smaller than a marble when born, all they need is the bits of colostrum they get the first few days.
Some new breastfeeding moms get nervous when they see the amount of formula that formula fed babies take at first, but as formula has a lot of 'filler' so their bellies get much more stretched out on it. You can't compare it to breastfeeding amounts. A BF baby gets all the nutrients they need with colostrum at first.

What everyone else has said! Their stomachs are itty bitty and they don't need anything but the colostrum they get from you. Babies WILL lose weight in the first week, but they gain it back after a couple days when your milk has come in. Trust your body!

Yup, what the other ladies said. Colostrum is exactly what baby needs when they are first born. Lots of really good stuff in there plus is sticky and thick which helps baby to learn to breastfeed. Then your milk will come in a few days later. Just remember to trust your baby and your body to do what it needs to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->