When will we wean???

_Mayas_mum

Reaction score
Hi Girls!

Just a little curious here...

Maya is 5½ months old (6months the 27th may) and seems to be rather interested in our food. At dinner times she sits on the table in her Bumbo seat and is very amazed of all the putting differnt tings in our mouths...

She is eating her hands non stop and if she is on my lap and I eat something, she tends to be slightly angry with me...

I'm not seeing my babydoctor before nd aof June, when Maya is 7 months - shall I wait till then with weaning her?
My HV is no good with Preemies, she seems to have a filed of no knowledge there. She said to me when Maya was 3 months that she was not due weaning before 6 monthd CORRECTED!!!!
BLISs says 5-7 months, but Iøm a bit worried about starting to soon - or too late....

What to do?
And how do I wean - is it a few spoonfull of Babyrice a day and adding up or how???

Hope someone has a little help in spare!

x:shrug:

HV's can often be flipping ignorant about the rules of preemie weaning.

Bliss have a fact sheet you can download
https://www.bliss.org.uk/page.asp?section=584&sectionTitle=Weaning+your+premature+baby

My HV was the same, I ignored her and went by Bliss rules. Bliss was around when I was a preemie, I'm sure they know bloody more than my HV! Its not just Bliss, Cow & Gate say the same.

The reasoning is the iron stores in LO from birth run low at 5-7 ACTUAL.

Go with gut instinct. I know I tiptoed my way into weaning and by the time we had her 6 month corrected neonatal check the neonatal was wondering why she wasnt having more than just baby rice, the HV had left me nervous.

We stocked up and went to three meals from that day forth.

HiPP have a good weaning plan, that we started with, and if you sign up online they send you a pack with a bib, spoon and samples, and a chart where you can get all your info.
https://www.hippbabyclub.co.uk/Register-with-Hipp-Baby-Club/

We have it up on the fridge. Its also available to download online (the link to download is halfway down) https://www.hippbabyclub.co.uk/starting-weaning/

Oh Tahnak you so much.
That was abrilliant help - will go stright to those sites and have a check out...

Thank you again
xxx

Happy to help chick, whenever xxxx

We weaned at about 4 and a half months actual. Abby was a huuungry baby and I was having trouble keeping up with her growth spurt. She couldn't have formula and just like yours, was showing huge signs of interest in food. We started really slowly and did the baby rice thing for a few weeks then moved onto purees at about 5 and a half months.

We started weaning at 5m actual age, against the Paed Consultant's advice but with the support of our HV who (on being assigned me!) had read up about preemie babies. But we took it very slowly, much slower than the official timetables suggest, and Andrew was pretty disinterested in the whole process until he reached 5m corrected (8m actual) age.

One thing I have learnt is to ignore what the charts etc. say about quantities - there's no way Andrew could eat 5-10 teaspoons of food per meal! I think a small jar of baby food is meant to be one meal (once weaning is established), well it does Andrew two or three meals as he is still so small!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->