Where did you make mom friends?

Thanks for the replies all :)

Yeah once he's a bit older I think that will help too with trips to the park and such.

You're right broodymrs, it does only take one person to reach out doesn't it. I'll try to keep that in mind.

Sometimes I feel like such an odd duck I'll never quite fit in. I was always shy/awkward and a bit of an outcast growing up, I'm more confident and outgoing now but I guess you never quite lose that sense that people are likely to find you a little bit weird haha.

I'll keep trying :)

Can we be friends?! I have the same problem and am ashamed to admit that I have no mommy friends. I have also tried playgroup, library reading group and music class to no avail. No one seems terribly receptive and I often found, especially at playgroup, that the moms were in a tight clique. No advice OP but hope you are able to make some friends once your child is in school. I am hoping for the same :)

To be honest, I'm kind of confused on why anyone needs to seek "mum" friends, specifically. I only have one friend who happens to also be a mother and she lives in a different country. Here, all my friends are childless and likely to remain so. And any new friends I might make in the future will be because of shared interests and because our personalities mesh, not because they happen to have children or not.

I know you said you live in a small town, but maybe you could research what clubs/activities might go on? Like if you enjoy reading, see if there is a book club? Or start your own? Workout/dance classes at a gym? Or maybe there's a community college where you could audit a class on a subject that interests you? And there could be someone there who you could strike up a conversation with...

Yeah, I guess 'mom friends' appeals to me because we'd have a lot of the same availability/limitations - not sure how I'd bring a 3 month old to a community college class for example! And being available during the daytime which is when I'm alone with baby etc.

It's not that I'm trying to limit things either, just, I was hoping this new life stage would open up some new friendship possibilities you know? :)

Oh, yeah. I get that it can be difficult to get out to certain places when you have a young child. I was just thinking if you had some free time when they were in school/daycare or your OH/other could watch them that those might be fun things that you might want to explore as avenues to meeting nice people who might share your interests. Really, i was just thinking to look at ideas beyond *just* "mommy" related things. :)

:Flower:

Yeah once he's a bit older I think that will help too with trips to the park and such.

You're right broodymrs, it does only take one person to reach out doesn't it. I'll try to keep that in mind.

Sometimes I feel like such an odd duck I'll never quite fit in. I was always shy/awkward and a bit of an outcast growing up, I'm more confident and outgoing now but I guess you never quite lose that sense that people are likely to find you a little bit weird haha.

Can we be friends?! I have the same problem and am ashamed to admit that I have no mommy friends. I have also tried playgroup, library reading group and music class to no avail. No one seems terribly receptive and I often found, especially at playgroup, that the moms were in a tight clique. No advice OP but hope you are able to make some friends once your child is in school. I am hoping for the same :)

Same here! I always feel like the odd one out and I do try to be social. But even at my sons school the mom's seem to know each other and talking to each other while we wait for school to let out and I just feel awkward. I guess I need to just get over it and try talking to people. One lady our sons are friends at school, I have tried chatting with but sadly we had a bit of a language barrier so couldn't understand each other well :/

Our park experience lately has been to get there and the mom is on her phone or she is drop dead gorgeous and tiny with her perfect little ones and I feel like a tired slob :haha: BTW.. I have no problem with gorgeous moms. And I'm happy for them they have time to go to the gym or do their hair. Just not while I'm a tired slob :haha:

So I guess it's my fault I don't have any friends.. And I do want them so I guess I need to step it up a bit. :hugs:

Honestly? My mummy friends are on here! We've got a little group of us that all chat in our journals.

In real life I've got my SIL (my niece is a few weeks older than my DD) and my other friends aren't mums so I'm sure they get sick of me babbling on about my LO :haha:. I'm a bit stuck in the way that I've not got the chance to go to baby groups (there's not any on when I have my day off!)

Making mummy friends is hard!

To be honest, I'm kind of confused on why anyone needs to seek "mum" friends, specifically. I only have one friend who happens to also be a mother and she lives in a different country. Here, all my friends are childless and likely to remain so. And any new friends I might make in the future will be because of shared interests and because our personalities mesh, not because they happen to have children or not.

I know you said you live in a small town, but maybe you could research what clubs/activities might go on? Like if you enjoy reading, see if there is a book club? Or start your own? Workout/dance classes at a gym? Or maybe there's a community college where you could audit a class on a subject that interests you? And there could be someone there who you could strike up a conversation with...

Mum friends because sometimes they are the only ones that will understand certain things. I cant moan to my other friends about thrush, nits and teething. Its just not the same. I love ALL my friends and due to moonlodge my circles mean not all my friends are parents. Thats ok but is nice to have a mum friend to see too.

Mum friends because sometimes they are the only ones that will understand certain things. I cant moan to my other friends about thrush, nits and teething. Its just not the same. I love ALL my friends and due to moonlodge my circles mean not all my friends are parents. Thats ok but is nice to have a mum friend to see too.

I get that. I guess it's just not personally important to me, but I do understand. Thank you to you and the others for answering. :)

As for the above ideas I'd brought up, I'd mentioned the college because my sister took a weekly art class after my nephew was born and I know she made some friends there. And I also know night classes of all types tend to be popular with adults, so I figure there could be lots of great women there, and hey, some of them could also be mothers. My sis was one, so hey. So (depending on what's available in your area) there could be lots of possible places. :)

For what its worth I personally prefer my friends for our shared interesta rather than just talking about kids x

I'm really antisocial so not good at making friends lol! I really don't know much people but I've sort of reunited with this girl I knew as her son and mine are both in the same reception class but we don't hang out. I'm such a loner lol

Same here! I always feel like the odd one out and I do try to be social. But even at my sons school the mom's seem to know each other and talking to each other while we wait for school to let out and I just feel awkward. I guess I need to just get over it and try talking to people. One lady our sons are friends at school, I have tried chatting with but sadly we had a bit of a language barrier so couldn't understand each other well :/

Our park experience lately has been to get there and the mom is on her phone or she is drop dead gorgeous and tiny with her perfect little ones and I feel like a tired slob :haha: BTW.. I have no problem with gorgeous moms. And I'm happy for them they have time to go to the gym or do their hair. Just not while I'm a tired slob :haha:

So I guess it's my fault I don't have any friends.. And I do want them so I guess I need to step it up a bit. :hugs:

I bet you there are plenty of moms like us out there that are simply too shy to reach out. I know I definitely have that problem!

Oddly, I have often found that the average looking women who I think are going to be approachable are anything but and the "beautiful" ones are amazingly nice and have made for some great friends. Definitely reach out to those moms too bc despite appearing put together I'm sure they are just as disorganized as the rest of us :)

I bet you there are plenty of moms like us out there that are simply too shy to reach out. I know I definitely have that problem!

Oddly, I have often found that the average looking women who I think are going to be approachable are anything but and the "beautiful" ones are amazingly nice and have made for some great friends. Definitely reach out to those moms too bc despite appearing put together I'm sure they are just as disorganized as the rest of us :)

I guess I hadn't thought about that. I swear I'm not the judgemental kind.. I just get a tad jealous sometimes when they look so put together but I'm sure you are absolutely right in what you said. I'll definitely be sure to keep that in mind next time going out :) thank you!

I guess I hadn't thought about that. I swear I'm not the judgemental kind.. I just get a tad jealous sometimes when they look so put together but I'm sure you are absolutely right in what you said. I'll definitely be sure to keep that in mind next time going out :) thank you!

Lol! Yes, I think we can all feel a tad envious when we see someone so put together with small children. I'm sure you are not being judgmental :) Just an odd observation I've had over the years. Hope you have some luck finding friends :hugs:

Not sure where you are located but maybe it's not just in the States. Have you tried/heard of meetup.com? It's not specifically to meet moms, it's a way to meet people with similar interests but I have found many mom/kid related activities by using this site.

So I followed all of your advice here, made the awkward first move and asked one of the moms from library group out on a mom date with our babies! It's today and I'm so nervous!! Ha

Well done! I hope that you have a great time :)

Awesome! Kuddos to you for being so brave. Hope the play date went great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->