• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Where should I start?

embojet

Molly and Ethan's Mummy
Reaction score
I'm not at all crafty at the moment, but I think I need a hpbby to keep my hands busy! I need to stop eating inthe evenings out of boredom. I'd love to get in to something cratove but not sure where to start. I want to do something that gives a result I can be proud of, and doesnt cost too much to get the stuff to start out. Any ideas of what I should try? :flower:

I want to do something that gives a result I can be proud of, and doesnt cost too much to get the stuff to start out. Any ideas of what I should try? :flower:

Knitting and or crochet would have low start-up costs.

Needles and/or crochet hook...a few quid.

A ball of yarn...also only a few quid.

Youtube videos for a teach-yourself-session...free

Have a go, and if you don't like it..it hasn't cost you a fortune!

Warning...if you DO enjoy it, its very addictive...and you'll be spending a fortune on lovely yarn, different size needles etc whenever you see it for sale :haha:

Thanks, might give it a go!

Glass painting or candle making both make a good hobby.

you can pick up glass paints for a couple of quid at 'The Range' or any good crafts store and can paint up old jars and bottle (coffee jars, pasta sauce, drinks bottles, cheap glasses etc)

Candles are also good, you can just buy a cheap pack of taper candles from somewhere like wilkos, carefully chop them up so that you keep the wick in one piece then add a few drops of essential oil to the melted wax and pour it into an old jar. You can wrap some wire around the top to make a hanging lantern perfect for garden bbq's.

Knitting, crochet or cross-stitch are great for things to do while sitting in front of the telly.

Or you could pick up a pack of felt and make small toys, keyrings etc.

I am a serial crafter, not fantastic at art or anything but like having something to potter away at. Here's some of the doodads I have made to stop me being bored: https://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h365/k8eyxx/

Glass painting or candle making both make a good hobby.

you can pick up glass paints for a couple of quid at 'The Range' or any good crafts store and can paint up old jars and bottle (coffee jars, pasta sauce, drinks bottles, cheap glasses etc)

Candles are also good, you can just buy a cheap pack of taper candles from somewhere like wilkos, carefully chop them up so that you keep the wick in one piece then add a few drops of essential oil to the melted wax and pour it into an old jar. You can wrap some wire around the top to make a hanging lantern perfect for garden bbq's.

Knitting, crochet or cross-stitch are great for things to do while sitting in front of the telly.

Or you could pick up a pack of felt and make small toys, keyrings etc.

I am a serial crafter, not fantastic at art or anything but like having something to potter away at. Here's some of the doodads I have made to stop me being bored: https://s1106.photobucket.com/albums/h365/k8eyxx/

Thanks, they are all brilliant!

Knitting! I'm not terribly talented, but I was able to pick it up. And that way you can knit baby blankets! Good luck w/ whatever you decide!

I have recently got interested in card making, thanks to a friend who is amazing at it and has gone on to sell some of hers at craft fairs, etc. I made all our wedding stationery (4 years ago now) and really enjoyed it, and thought it would be something to keep my hands out of the fridge and save some money too, since cards are so expensive in the shops.

I had barely got started when I got my BFP and between that and a toddler who refuses to go to bed I was too knackered to get inspired so it's all been pushed aside a bit. I really want to start it up again though.

The basic kit doesn't have to cost much, and you can add to it as and when. I bought far too many cards for our wedding so I have been using the excess of those and got a card making kit from the Range for £15 that contains loads of patterned papers, stamps, ink pad, etc and will last me for ages. I also have a craft knife, eyelet punch, hammer and healing pad from when I made the wedding stuff, but IIRC I picked the lot up in Wilkos for not much more than a fiver. They also sell card blanks and envelopes for about £2 a pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->