Which blankets?

Babycakes29

Pregnant first trimester
Reaction score
Hi ladies, sorry if this is a bizarre post but here goes....my baby is due at the beginning of November and I'm just finishing off buying all the essentials and have been left confused by how many different blankets there are...popcorn, cellular, fleece etc. I'm staying team yellow so wanted to buy the essentials in white/cream n the rest in pink/blue when baby is born. Also the baby will be in a crib for first 6 months. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, thanks xxx

I don't have any children yet, but my sister has told me about the importance of muslin blankets. I have found some good sales and already purchased quite a few.

Sorry I'm not more help!

Really, it is totally up to you! Just take into consideration the weather at the time you are due, and plan accordingly. I usually just buy any blankets that I think are cute. I am due in December, although we will be having baby in November via section, so I have bought a few fleece blankets, and some other super fuzzy, cute blankets with owls on them :)

Also be sure to have plenty of relieving blankets. They are great for sooo many thing. I use them to swaddle baby, cover baby up with if needed, and I even use them as burp cloths as I think the marketed "burp cloths" are just way too small. Receiving blankets work much better for me!

In terms of safety, the recommendation is to stick with cellular blankets and layer them if needed. Fleece blankets shouldn't be used for nighttime sleep as baby can easily overheat in them, especially when swaddled. When my first was a newborn, our room was usually around 17-19 degrees (18 is recommended for baby's bedroom) and she wore a vest and a sleepsuit and be swaddled in a cotton or bamboo cellular blanket. If it was cold, I'd cover her with a second cellular blanket tucked into the bottom of her co-sleeper crib (you could use one or more receiving blankets instead).
We only used fluffy blankets for outside, in the carseat or pram. I'd personally say 3-4 cellular blankets (eg 2 cotton, 2 bamboo), 3-4 receiving blankets and one warmer outside blanket, eg a knitted shawl or a minky or velour blanket, would cover all bases. Remember that many thin layers is better than one warm layer, as newborns mustn't overheat.

Cellular blankets. Don't forget to get muslin wraps/

I'm due end of October and have possibly every type of blanket there is. So whatever she doesn't use in the moses basket, I can use for the buggy or floor time.
My mum did splash out £20 on a really nice, decorated shawl to bring her out of hospital in. It's something her dad done with all 20-odd of his grandchildren, so she's carried it on with her's.

I have brought a few cellular blankets for bedtime, some wooly & fleece ones for outside etc and I have loads of muslins as I believe these are great for everything :shrug:
I also plan on getting some receiving blankets & swaddle ones and a few flat sheets too for layering

Baby is due January and likely to have snow in the UK then if the last few years are anything to go by

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->