Which cup for 9 month old

Future-Sailor

Reaction score
Hello

Which cup does your baby use confidently for drinking?

I would like to replace breastfeeds with formula in a cup but LO can't use his tommee tippee first cup very well x

We found the only cup my son could drink out of confidently on his own at this age was a cheap £1 ship one with a straw. You can also get them in asda, they've got little mickey mouse ears on top.
We'd tried about 8 different kinds before this and he wasn't having any of them.

We found the only cup my son could drink out of confidently on his own at this age was a cheap £1 ship one with a straw. You can also get them in asda, they've got little mickey mouse ears on top.
We'd tried about 8 different kinds before this and he wasn't having any of them.

Are you saying I should try a straw cup?

With my first daughter I tried nearly 10 different bottles. Don't want to fall into that trap again x

Mine didn't really drink well out of anything at 9 months. She would occassionally take a small sip of water from a Tommee Tippee free flow cup (never liked those first cup ones that you need to suck). For milk, we eventually found she would take it from a straw cup (Moma straw cups are great), but it wasn't until 13 months. It's worth a try though? The problem with the sippy cups is they have to hold them up to drink, which they don't usually have the arm strength to do (without you holding it for them), but the straw cup doesn't have to be tilted back to drink from it. Mine used to sometimes use an open cup with a straw for smoothies around 9 months, but not for milk (I think it moved to fast and she'd sputter and choke a bit). Alternatively, if she'd take a bottle, and continues to refuse a cup, I'd offer it in a bottle and try again later with the cup if you genuinely want to cut down on BF. We found it took several months of offering it now and again until she wouldn't refuse.

Here is an idea that worked for us. You can probably find it on Amazon.
https://www.diapers.com/p/comotomo-...8-oz-382595?qid=1813351074&sr=1-1&sku=COO-003

She would not accept any type of bottle (tried like 10 different ones like yourself). Except for this one. She still uses it to this day. I had to combo feed her in the beginning because she was premature.

Hopefully I can get her to use a sippy cup soon.

How about just an open topped cup, like a normal cup but plastic so it won't break. You have to fill it quite full so that they don't have to tip it so far (like pp said they don't often do this well at first). Apparently you can get cups where the bottom is quite high so the drink is near the top without it being a huge cup of water if spilled - but I can't remember the name. My LO took to open cups quite well although I helped steady her at first so she didn't tip it all over herself,but as it was just water it wasn't too bad if it got spilled. Later she prefered sippy cups once she had the hang of it :dohh:. Never tried the ones with valves.

The Munchkin Miracle 360 trainer is just like an open cup in that a child can sip from any area around the rim, but it has a big rubber top which means it can't be spilled. The trainer has handles too. They're great.

https://www.munchkin.com/uk/miracler-360-trainer-cup-7oz-207ml.html

The Munchkin Miracle 360 trainer is just like an open cup in that a child can sip from any area around the rim, but it has a big rubber top which means it can't be spilled. The trainer has handles too. They're great.

Definitely this, mine wouldn't drink out of anything else including a straw cup, he picked this up in a few minutes and loves it, he is actually obsessed with it.. I have to hide it or he would be just drinking water all day, literally all day!

He can tip it up himself but he is nearly one

Definitely this, mine wouldn't drink out of anything else including a straw cup, he picked this up in a few minutes and loves it, he is actually obsessed with it.. I have to hide it or he would be just drinking water all day, literally all day!

He can tip it up himself but he is nearly one

It's crazy how different kids are. Mine had one and it's been sat in his bottle cupboard since about a week after we got it because he was having non of it. Might try him again with it now it's been a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->