Which date would you go with?

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
By ovulation date and my dating scan I would be 13w 5d. At my NT scan I went in saying 12+2 but the tech said no I'm measuring 13+2. I won't be seeing my midwife until the 30th. What date would you go by? Original or what you're measuring at from NT scan?

They will usually go by the dating scan. My actual ovulation date and my dating scan were 3 days off last time. They went by the dating scan. It doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things, but if it comes down to it and they are pushing for induction based on a date you think is wrong, you can always argue your case then for why you think the dates may be off (and anyway, you can do whatever you like regardless).

I'm having the same issue. We conceived after forgetting a condom one time and used them every other time so know exactly when I conceived but I've had 2 scans now and both put me ahead but a week so I don't know how pregnant I am really either 13 or 14 weeks!

The earliest of scans are usually the most accurate. I went to an ultrasound that said I was 7+5, another exactly 2 weeks later saying 9w, another exactly 2 weeks later measuring 12. We went by that middle date, as the first one was difficult to see (severe constipation blocking the view), but the earlier, the better. A fetus will follow its own growth line. An embryo generally won't.

My midwife said that the earlier scans are more accurate for dating because genetics haven't started playing a part in the baby's size. By the time you get to your NT scan your baby's growth will have started to be influenced by genetics, so if mom/dad are especially tall then baby might be measuring long for the gestational age and they may bump your dates forward a bit.

Additionally I would go with whatever date is later, that buys you some more time if you go overdue and want to avoid induction.

Here they calculate your due date based on 40 weeks after the first day of your last period assuming you ovulated on the 15th day of your cycle. They don't adjust it unless you are measuring more or less than two weeks on scans. I ovulate late in my cycle, 20th day or more. Therefore I know when I get my DD my actual DD is more like 5 - 7 days later. I still go by the date they give me, but if they wanted to induce me at a week overdue or earlier I would put up a fight because I know my actual due date is more like a week over their due date and I want to give my body a chance to go into labor on it's own. I had my first at 40+4 and my 2nd at 40+2, so it hasn't been an issue yet. Hopefully it isn't an issue for baby #3!

They will usually go by the dating scan. My actual ovulation date and my dating scan were 3 days off last time. They went by the dating scan. It doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things, but if it comes down to it and they are pushing for induction based on a date you think is wrong, you can always argue your case then for why you think the dates may be off (and anyway, you can do whatever you like regardless).

You are so right! My best friend had her date changed because she kept measuring ahead, but in the end baby came 2 weeks late aka her original lmp date.

I'm having the same issue. We conceived after forgetting a condom one time and used them every other time so know exactly when I conceived but I've had 2 scans now and both put me ahead but a week so I don't know how pregnant I am really either 13 or 14 weeks!

I was temping and marking down when we dtd because I wasn't sure what my cycle would do so I know the exact date we had sex and when I more than likely ovulated.

Here they calculate your due date based on 40 weeks after the first day of your last period assuming you ovulated on the 15th day of your cycle. They don't adjust it unless you are measuring more or less than two weeks on scans. I ovulate late in my cycle, 20th day or more. Therefore I know when I get my DD my actual DD is more like 5 - 7 days later. I still go by the date they give me, but if they wanted to induce me at a week overdue or earlier I would put up a fight because I know my actual due date is more like a week over their due date and I want to give my body a chance to go into labor on it's own. I had my first at 40+4 and my 2nd at 40+2, so it hasn't been an issue yet. Hopefully it isn't an issue for baby #3!

My cycles are all over the map, ranging between 37 - 42 days.

Thank you for your input ladies, I'll stick with my original date as fun as it would be to be a week ahead. Baby may be tall and all legs just like daddy and grandfather. DH's grandmother told me that FIL was a huge baby in her belly, but when he came out he was lean and nothing but legs :haha:

My OB gives an EDD based on LMP and never adjusts regardless of scans. And yes, as the baby gets bigger it'd be hard to date then, so earlier scans would be more accurate. I measured one to 3 days off in the early weeks (had scans weekly from week 6-15) but by the time I got to later scans I was measuring 2 weeks ahead and some parts of her body measured 3 weeks ahead.

Well the NT scan measured right for my lmp date, but because of my long cycles my first dating scan at 6 weeks measured right with my ovulation date not lmp... I guess this is where my confusion is.

By lmp I would be 14+4 but because of long cycle my ovulation date would make me 13+4 :wacko:

I would go by your ovulation date/early scan. Due dates shouldn't change throughout pregnancy because big babies need to develop just as much as little babies do. Things like lung maturity aren't determined by a baby's size and your body's not going to spit a kid out just because a doctor says it should. Trust yourself and don't be afraid to advocate for what you feel is correct as your pregnancy progresses

I have this problem too. It really bothers me just because I don't know what to tell people when they ask me how far along I am. I personally decided to go with my LMP date. It's what I've done with all my others. Plus, I never make it to my due dates anyways.

I have an ultrasound tomorrow and I hope that they just tell me I'm back at my original due date.

I'm muddled with my dates too. By lmp I'm 9+2. Had a private scan done at 7+2 and was put forward to 8 weeks, so from that I'm 10 weeks today. But at my midwife booking in appointment yesterday she's going by lmp. She said said early scans are not accurate so would go from my 12 week scan!

My due date got changed when I was 40weeks with my first. This is because I argued my way out of an induction. My cycles were 5weeks not 4, which my early dating scan supported, but 'they' stuck with my LMP instead. It didn't bother me until crunch time came and I wanted my body to have the best chance of going into labour naturally.
A dating scan is most accurate 6-8 weeks. It doesn't matter but I would go with the latest due date to avoid induction.

My due date got changed when I was 40weeks with my first. This is because I argued my way out of an induction. My cycles were 5weeks not 4, which my early dating scan supported, but 'they' stuck with my LMP instead. It didn't bother me until crunch time came and I wanted my body to have the best chance of going into labour naturally.
A dating scan is most accurate 6-8 weeks. It doesn't matter but I would go with the latest due date to avoid induction.
Did it work? Did you go into labor naturally??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->