Which spelling??

liz1985

Reaction score
So this is super early, as we're still trying, but for a girl were 80% having this name( I'm a 100%, hubby needs convincing lol)

Esme- with a little dash over last e, can't do it on my phone

Esmae

Think I prefer the second spelling but this changes the meaning from loved to respected? Do you think it matters?

I like the second one better. I don't think it matters about the meaning but that sort of difference wouldn't be overly importnant to me.

Esme is my favourite, but be forwarned it will often (always) be spelled by people without the accent mark!

Esme, that's what my LO is called :thumbup:

I would say though, put the accent on. We didnt and wish I had, think I may just add it on when she goes school etc to be honest.

People keep calling her es-me which is really getting my goat!

Xx

Esme, that's what my LO is called :thumbup:

I would say though, put the accent on. We didnt and wish I had, think I may just add it on when she goes school etc to be honest.

People keep calling her es-me which is really getting my goat!

Xx

If you wanted you could add it on the birth certifacate, you can make changes upto one year, without having to pay or anything.

Esme is beautiful (my friends daughter is Esme)

On a personal note - think carefully before spelling a name in an unusual fashion. I have a common name spelt in an unusual way. I spend my entire life telling people how to spell my name correctly, for them to tell me how weird it is to be spelt like that (like it is somehow MY fault my parents wanted to be Kre8tive!) and get things spelt incorrectly anyway!

Esme definitely. Not sure about accent mark or not..

In the U.S. the Esmae spelling is quite common. My husband is Mexican and he has two cousins (from different sides of the family) named Esme, and it is short for Esmerelda in both cases. Things can vary widely from country to country!

I love the name! I prefer it spelled Esme and would pronounce it 'es-may' with or without the accent on it. I had never heard the name though until I read Twilight and that's the only reason I know how to pronounce it :).

I read 1 as es - ME and the other es-MAY. It may just be me but may be worth a mention

Thanks for input everyone. I was origionaly preferring esmae as like pp, I read it more as es-may whereas esme reads more like es-me.

I hadn't realised the esmae spelling was so uncommon as I don't know anyone with either spelling in real life, so now I'm swaying more towards esme as I prefer the traditional spellings of names.

Luckily I have a while to decide lol.

Good choice :thumbup: I prefer Esme, Esmae doesn't look 'right' to me, dunno why lol!

Esme.

I never read the twilight books, seen the films or anything. Nor do I know an Esme in real life but I would pronouce it Es-May.

On a selfish note, you're all making me think that those calling LO es-me are the minority :thumbup:

X

Esme. I've never seen the spelling esmae before, tho I'm in UK.
On a second note I wouldn't bother putting an accent over. I have one on my name and I dropped t years ago as it was too annoying I keep correcting forms etc, especially online as you don't often have the facility to do it. Plus it made little difference to the way people pronounce it as often they don't know what the accent is supposed to do!
I would say tho that I think the majority of people will pronounce it Es-me rather than Es-may, I have ever heard of a 'may' so I think you ( and bubba) may have to make your peace with correcting people if that is how you want it pronounced! I do like the name though, v cute x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->