who are you telling before you "should" ?

I feel for you, Dill! Although my MIL doesn't sound quite as intense, within two minutes of telling her, she was expressing grave concern over my vegetarianism and my decision to use a midwife instead of an OB (not considered a "mainstream" decision here). It's quite disrespectful and makes me feel as though she thinks I'm a selfish hippie with no regard for my baby! Yet another reason it's sometimes better to wait to announce. :wacko:

So strange! Up here, everyone prefers midwives and the water birthing center instead of OBs and the main hospital. I can't imagine that being an "unacceptable" choice! Your MIL sounds a bit uptight, but at least she seems to be TRYING to come from a good place (concern for you and the baby). That's a plus, right? (Gotta find silver lining.)

A lot of people knew we were really trying so a lot of our close friends ask me if it's happened yet, how it's going this cycle (those who are trying too), etc. I've told my mom, sister, SIL. And he told his mom. And I told my bff. Hopefully the rest will be towards the end of the first tri. I had a MMC at 12 weeks last time so I would like to get past that point. My coworkers I think are suspicious Bc I turned down a mimosa at a shower the day I found out lol. This is a giveaway for me!!

Midwives and birthing centers don't exist here, nor do home births. I could get a doula if I wished but with a twin birth and me having pelvic surgery 3 months ago, a C section is very likely so I don't want to shell out the $1,000+

I took a nap in her office yesterday over my lunch break. She keeps a standing offer for anyone in need of naptime, so it shouldn't have been that big of a tip off. ...though she was at my desk last night, wonder if she peeked at my browser history? Uh oh.

:laugh2: oops!

I think I will need to tell my boss after my 8 week scan and will feel happier about people knowing then as if alls well then I know the risk drops dramatically! Just too impatient!

It's so hard! We wanted to wait til 12 week scan just so we'd have seen the wee one and all that.

Other than my online buddies here I've told my best friend Irl. I trust her 100% not to repeat the news and she's vital for support.
I'm worried about telling people before then if something happened having to deal with well meaning questions about the pregnancy etc. Not to mention it'd upset the kids. Also oh is even more nervous as his ex gf had a mc after they told people (v early).

Anyway I've booked a private scan at 9 weeks so there's a good chance that we might tell all once that shows all hood. X

I'm trying to hold out until after the 20 week scan! Only DH knows at the moment and I will try and keep it a secret for as long as possible! ;-) xx

Sunday when we found out we told our parents and siblings. I also told my 4 best friends. :) I told one coworker on Monday, then 2 other interns from my internship site on tues/wed. I better stop! lol! I'm just so excited! We did agree to wait until 4/18, end of first Tri, to tell the world!

I've told of my friends, if we lose the baby I would turn to them so telling them early feels OK. I won't tell anyone else until after our 12 week scan because I don't want to have to worry about being asked how the pregnancy is going if we lose LO. DH has told a couple of his friends.

I had to tell my parents earlier than planned as I went into A&E with severe morning sickness and they were there for me. They were very happy for us.

MIL and SIL are all about the drama so would not like to share anything like that with them, we need to be really sure everything is OK.

She is a huge drama queen and doesn't understand personal boundaries at all. She is going to make this all about her in every possible way, she will tell everyone she can and make every effort to make sure she gets the news to people before we do. She was positively awful with my SIL's last pregnancy (and birth) and I am terrified of her behavior when she finds out that it's my turn. :cry:

Sounds like my MIL, SIL behaves in an identical manner.

I basically plan on telling her right before I hit the "post" button on our public announcement. I know that will cause drama in and of itself, but it's preferable to the alternative.

I think she may be worse with my pregnancy than she was with my SIL's because this will be her only son's/firstborn's firstborn. Hubby is 32 and she still refuses to cut the apron strings. She was an absolute monster when it came to our wedding!

What happened with your wedding?

I was pregnant with my DD2 and DD1 was just a baby when we got married. My MIL (and SIL/FIL) refused to come to our wedding. Turned out that they did want to come all along but thought that we ´would do anything to make sure that they came´. I.e. they were trying to be controlling and manipulative.

Such toxic personalities and why I keep my distance as much as possible these days. I certainly don´t want them involved with the me during the early stages of my pregnancy.

We haven't told anyone! I'm sure both sets of parents have an inkling as we have been over to dinner twice at each set and I have turned down wine which I never do. My mum didn't say anything but my partners mum said "that's twice in a row no one except me has been drinking at dinner, you are letting the team down!" As I usually share a bottle with her! It was my partners birthday last week and we had people over, I drank elderflower pressee which looked like white wine. Again not sure if anyone notice but I was really sober considering I had about 10 glasses!
We have a scan on Monday and I may tell then (we will be 8+6) or wait until 12 weeks, we will see how we feel. I have been avoiding all my friends since I found out as we usually go out for a few drinks at the weekend and we do rounds so they would definitely know. It's so lonely and isolating!

My mom knew the day after I got my bfp. We're super close and I was bursting to tell someone so she was naturally my first choice. I told my bff a few weeks after as she was going through a very bad breakup/divorce and I felt like she had her own issues to deal with. Hubby is super close to his parents (they're awesome) so we told them around 6 weeks. And my dad was last to find out about Valentines day.
Everyone else will wait the normal 12 weeks.

So many people have mum and mil drama.... At least its not just me :winkwink:

We haven't told anyone! I'm sure both sets of parents have an inkling as we have been over to dinner twice at each set and I have turned down wine which I never do. My mum didn't say anything but my partners mum said "that's twice in a row no one except me has been drinking at dinner, you are letting the team down!" As I usually share a bottle with her! It was my partners birthday last week and we had people over, I drank elderflower pressee which looked like white wine. Again not sure if anyone notice but I was really sober considering I had about 10 glasses!
We have a scan on Monday and I may tell then (we will be 8+6) or wait until 12 weeks, we will see how we feel. I have been avoiding all my friends since I found out as we usually go out for a few drinks at the weekend and we do rounds so they would definitely know. It's so lonely and isolating!

This is the same kinda issue I'm experiencing! We have trivia night this weekend and I feel like not drinking is a dead give away. I'm gonna play the im hungover from last night card and gonna DD tonight...

I've told my family, close friends and some people at work. I'm glad I told work early as I had a bleed while on shift (I work in a&e) and they all rallied round, got me seen and supported me. I'm do grateful to have such caring and sensitive work mates.

What happened with your wedding?

I was pregnant with my DD2 and DD1 was just a baby when we got married. My MIL (and SIL/FIL) refused to come to our wedding. Turned out that they did want to come all along but thought that we ´would do anything to make sure that they came´. I.e. they were trying to be controlling and manipulative.

Such toxic personalities and why I keep my distance as much as possible these days. I certainly don´t want them involved with the me during the early stages of my pregnancy.

I'm sorry you're stuck with such terrible in-laws. :(

She tried to take over. As soon as she found out we were getting married, she started inviting all of her friends by word-of-mouth. We had to put the kibosh on that, because we couldn't afford a big wedding, and paid for everything ourselves. She was upset about that. When she found out that we weren't inviting children, she LOST HER MIND. She insisted we had to change venues since ours wasn't big enough to allow for everyone's kids. I explained that the next cheapest option would cost us almost $10,000 more, and asked if she was willing to help foot the bill since it was her decision to move the venue, and she was furious. We offered to make her granddaughter a ring bearer so she could be at the wedding itself, and she was angry that she'd need a babysitter for the reception. We paid for a coworker's daughter to get pediatric first aid and CPR certified and covered the cost of the sitter, and that wasn't good enough. She accused me of being "hostile" and tried to convince my hubby to call off the wedding. She offered to be the photographer (she's a photographer) to hubby, asked him to pass me the phone, then told me she only made the offer to be polite and didn't want to be. I was okay with that (she's a wildlife photographer, not a portrait photographer) and said we just wanted her to relax and enjoy herself, and she seemed relieved, but then raged at all of her friends about how I wouldn't "let" her be the photographer. We tried to find some middle ground then and asked if she would set up a photo booth, and she agreed, and told us the night before the wedding that she didn't feel like doing it, so she didn't. During the wedding itself, she decided to do an event she didn't clear with us at all and hadn't put in the schedule. She hadn't practiced the set-up before hand, so about 45 minutes of her keeping our music turned off (it was the dance time!) and fiddling with her equipment, most of our guests got bored and left.

That's not even the worst she's pulled with us since we go together. She was even worse when I had my MC last year (which she doesn't know about, per se, but omfg she threw a FIT that I wouldn't tell her why I had "minor surgery").

It's hard because she is just completely inappropriate and invasive, but she and hubby are very close (despite her bilking him of money at every possible opportunity) because she was a single mom for so long.

OMG Dill, your MIL sounds horrendous and you are an absolute saint for putting up with all of her drama surrounding your wedding day. I don't blame you for not telling her about your MC and I understand why you chose to do that.

My MIL doesn't like the fact that I'm not completely open with her either, but tbh she will just have to get used to it. There are some things that require trust and respect in order to be shared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->