Who has decided on names already?

I love the names Riley and Kallin for boy havnt really thought of any girl names ... Choosing names is really hard! I have always liked they names

I love Ciaran. I know people might not know how to spell/pronounce it at first, but usually once you've corrected people once, they remember it. Conor is nice, too. What about Aiden? That's Irish, nice and easy to spell/pronounce.

Nathan Lucas for a boy
Athena Adeline (spelling of Adeline not quite decided yet) for a girl

We're WTT for #2 in January, but we are already very certain of our names:

Evelyn Ivy for a girl. I have been in love with this since just after I had #1 in 2006, and it sounds great with our last name (which also has a Y, an E, and an "eye" sound in it).

Serge Constantine for a boy. Here's the thing: I was a classics major in undergrad and have been in love with the name "Constantine" forever. Emperor Constantine I was certainly a flawed individual, but his influence on history is undeniable and his influence on Christianity (making Christianity legal, ending the off-and-on state persecution of Christians, influencing the creation of the Nicene Creed) was particularly formative. Plus I love the meaning ("steady, constant"). It's my husband who loves "Serge," and it never would have been on my list, but my husband spent two years of his life in France and he loves French names, so I've compromised and given it to him. It turns out that "Serge" comes from the old Latin family nomen "Sergius," so it actually works well thematically with "Constantine."

We intend to call them by their middle names in both cases, so it will be Constantine or Ivy.

Most people seem to like Evelyn Ivy, but we've gotten a lot of negative reactions when we've mentioned Serge Constantine, so we've decided to stop telling friends and family about our names. Once it's actually attached to a baby and they can't do anything about it, they'll quit bitching. I think people are so xenophobic. While "Serge" and "Constantine" are uncommon in America, "Serge" (along with its variants) is perfectly normal in countries like France, Belgium, Portugal, Brazil, Catalonia, Romania, Italy, and Spain, while "Constantine" (and its variants) has always been common among followers of Eastern Orthodoxy all over the world.

Here's a comment from a woman on a blog who is married to a "Constantine":

My husband’s name is Constantine; it is a long-used family name and he was the lucky one to inherit it out of his generation. I think it is a gorgeous, handsome, downright sexy name and I can’t see him going by anything else. I can’t put into words how much I love it. It gave him some problems as a child, especially since his brothers have fairly “normal” names, but he’s grown to be pretty proud of his unique moniker.
And that's exactly why I'm doing it.

Serge Constantine for a boy. Here's the thing: I was a classics major in undergrad and have been in love with the name "Constantine" forever..

I did Classics for a while at uni too....hence why we have ended up with Lydia, Alexander, Jason, and are going to be having Athena for our fourth if it's a girl.

I realise Nathan doesn't fit with the pattern though which is bugging me slightly but we can't agree on any other ancient greek male names. I don't really fancy a zeus or agamemnon lol.

We intend to call them by their middle names in both cases, so it will be Constantine or Ivy.

This confuses me. Can I ask why? If you intend to call them by their middle names, then why not make those their first names?

There was a girl at my school called Julia Siobhan Bastow, and she only went by Siobhan, and I could never wrap my head around that.

I did Classics for a while at uni too....hence why we have ended up with Lydia, Alexander, Jason, and are going to be having Athena for our fourth if it's a girl.
Very nice. I especially love the name "Lydia."

I realise Nathan doesn't fit with the pattern though which is bugging me slightly but we can't agree on any other ancient greek male names. I don't really fancy a zeus or agamemnon lol.
It's Nathan Lucas though, right? Nathan is a fine Hebrew name while Luke is Greek. You can say that this is the "Hellenized Jewish" name of the bunch.

If you want to give it a slightly more classical flare, just use a k in Lukas.

This confuses me. Can I ask why? If you intend to call them by their middle names, then why not make those their first names?
Good question. In our case, it's mostly a matter of rhythm. Evelyn Ivy [OurLastName] sounds much better than Ivy Evelyn [OurLastName]. Same with Serge Constantine.

I could make Ivy her first name and search for something else as a middle name, but I just haven't been able to find anything as perfect. In the case of Constantine, my husband is insistent that Serge be in there, so I'm stuck.

I go by my middle name myself, so I have my share of experience with having to express to people that I don't go by my first name, and it's only a mild inconvenience.

There was a girl at my school called Julia Siobhan Bastow, and she only went by Siobhan, and I could never wrap my head around that.
People do it for different reasons. Sometimes they just like their middle names better than their first names. Sometimes their first name is the same as a parent's first name and the family calls them by their middle name to distinguish, which is a nice alternative to being a "junior."

In my case, I always hated my original middle name. I found it tame and boring. In high school I began going by a nickname to such an extent that most people had no idea what my first name was. When I got married, marriage was a free legal name change, so I got rid of my old middle name and made my nickname into my legal middle name.

I've had a lot of friends and family members who have gone by middle names, so it's not all that strange to me. Rather than thinking of middle names as "filler names," I see them more as second-first-names that can and should be used if desired.

Serge Constantine for a boy. Here's the thing: I was a classics major in undergrad and have been in love with the name "Constantine" forever..

Athena is a lovely name !!!
my OH actually suggested Zeus. I wanted to slap him!

With 3 weeks to go I FINALLY have a name (and found out sex at early scan).

DH has approved of two of my choices so I'm pretty sure we'll have a little boy Arlo. I'll wait until we see him of course just to be sure, but it was my favourite name last pregnancy and I didn't get to use it. Maybe it was meant to be for this one :flower:

I am currently WTT after 4 losses but we do have names.

Boys - Harry Andrew, Jack Darren.
Girls - Caitlyn Ella-Rose, Hannah Ashley

Little girl will be Dakota, middle name still to be decided, but possibly Zoe or Rayne,

Boy completely unsure, I love Dexter, but OH won't have any of it.

Not 100% sure as oh has only just potentially accepted the girls name....subject to changing his mind!

Girl - Matilda rowen
Boy - Edward James or Montgomery James
X

I am currently WTT after 4 losses but we do have names.

Boys - Harry Andrew, Jack Darren.
Girls - Caitlyn Ella-Rose, Hannah Ashley

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. You have some beautiful names picked out for your future babies, though. :)

Well, we've found out that we are having another BOY! (I just kind of knew)

Our front runner name right now is Graham Patrick. Graham is not Irish, like our first son's name, but it honors my grandmother, who has passed away. I desperately loved her and always called her "Gram". We may change our minds ten times by the time this little guy is born, but I am loving it right now!

Little girl will be Dakota, middle name still to be decided, but possibly Zoe or Rayne,

Boy completely unsure, I love Dexter, but OH won't have any of it.
lol, I named my cat Dexter, but that was after the serial killer on TV. :haha:
He lives up to the name by murdering the unlucky rats that wander into the neighborhood.

I'm having a boy, with the outside chance of twins but I've had my names for years.
Casper Jack #1
Boris Vincent #2

We finally decided on the first name and one of the middle names for our boy!
Dash Milo and then another middle name cause milo doesnt sound very good right next to the last name that starts with lo. We heard the name dashell and were considering it for a while, but we realized we really just loved the nickname Dash. So were giving him that for our first name, then making sure he has normal middle names if he ever wants to go with one of them. Milo is a family name so we have to throw it in there. For the second middle name were between Mackenzie, Levi, and Cameron. FOB and I are in gridlock over the middle name. I like Mackenzie or Levi, he really likes Cameron. So we shall see!

i have names picked even though im only 6 weeks lol but a girl will be Lilah Iris and for A boy we have either Issac or Rowan, Middle name Milo after my son :)

Not pregnant, but I know what names I'd like for any future kids.. Not definite though as OH would have to agree and me and him have a totally different taste in names!

Girls:
Lucy
Lexi

Boys:
Oscar
Caleb

I am team yellow.

If it is a girl it wll be Leah Caitlin. Leah is just about the only girls name we could agree on as we have very different tastes, and caitlin is after my nan who is called Kate, but I already have a niece called Katie.

If it is a boy, it will be Max Paul. Max again was about the only name we could agree on, and Paul is my OHs middle name, as our DD already has my middle name. I wasn't sure about these names as our last name is also a one syllable name, but the more I say it he more I think it sounds ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->