Whooping cough making a come back becoz people don't vaccinate

Personally I think its ridiculous to suggest that parents who choose to vaccinate do not do their research. I vaccinated summer mainly because there was a outbreak of mumps at my primary school 3 children had caught and sadly they were the three that were not vacinated.
But seeing as it is an injection, its bound to have some flaws as nothing is perfect. In my experience to vaccinat outweighed any cons.

I would love to see these studies, please provide a link x

I have been respectful of your choices and glad we could discuss things reasonably despite being in opposing corners, I am not sure why there is sarcasm and disregard in your last post TM... It's a shame x

Please accept my apologies ... when I typed my reply it honestly wasn't meant to be sarcastic - but reading it back just now I can totally see that it looks that way :( .... the links are all on my work computer , so I'll post them tomorrow :thumbup:

Sorry again :blush::hugs:

Things always come across funny in type don't they x

I was just a bit surprised its been great discussing with you and you've definitely given me some food for thought about this x

Things always come across funny in type don't they x

I was just a bit surprised its been great discussing with you and you've definitely given me some food for thought about this x

They can do yes :hugs: but I'm usually a lot more careful to make sure they don't :blush: I'm quite ashamed of myself actually because I too am really enjoying the discussion and debate with you and I do understand the concerns re vaccination ... especially as there are a ton of sites with scare stories whereas the studies about antibodies/timings/reasons for policies tend to be hidden in scientific journals and are quite difficult to find :nope:

If only these studies were as prominently displayed as the 'anti' sites - I always think that people are more comfortable with being advised to do something a particular way if they know the why rather than just being told iykwim?

Right ... I'm at work and a quick run through my internet history has brought these up :thumbup:

*Here is one that discusses the way that maternal antibodies (in this case for whooping cough) effectively blunt a newborn’s immune system from developing antibodies in the first months of life
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/752408_4

*Here is an interesting one that discusses preemies in particular and weighs up the pros (protecting those most at risk) and cons (immature immune systems in those born at less than 32 weeks gestation)
https://adisonline.com/pediatrics/A...tive_Immunization_of_Premature_and_Low.3.aspx

*This explains how long term immunity is achieved both in terms of the body’s responses and effective immunisation
https://www.who.int/immunization/documents/Elsevier_Vaccine_immunology.pdf

*Here is a study carried out in the US that seems to show that early immunisation (in this case with the measles vaccine) ‘primes’ the body for a better antibody response once the booster is given (thus providing better protection long term)
https://www.jstor.org/pss/30077588

*This one explains both why it is important for very young babies to be protected (against whooping cough in particular) and why the doses are spaced as they are (to achieve maximum protection during the first year of life when the risk of both contracting diseases and suffering complications is highest)
*https://ecdc.europa.eu/en/publicati...tific_Panel_on_Childhood_Immunisation_DTP.pdf

I still for the life of me cannot find the specific paper I was reading yesterday that summarised independent studies in the US, New Zealand and Germany :growlmad:… it seems to have vanished from my ‘History’ and I can’t remember the search parameters I used - I'll keep looking though :flower: It’s really annoying that these studies are always tucked away in scientific journals and often only available if you subscribe :nope:

It's actually a fascinating subject ... I've become quite hooked - and learned a lot!

TM that's awesome thank you!

I have a young baby now so unfortunately I cannot read them all immediately but i have saved them on my computer as well as here so as to make a proper effort later ;) when child is in bed lol!

Yes, they take a bit of concentration ... not something that's easy to achieve with children around :winkwink: I avoid the computer at home like the plague when I have my granchildren ... the baby isn't so bad but Kaylum likes to 'Tippy Tap' on the keyboard and randomly click the mouse which makes for some interesting results lol (and sometimes many hours of re-installing stuff that he has deleted :dohh: )

Is your LO the baby you had a home birth with? :happydance:

I tried to have a homebirth but after 20 hours i ended up in hospital having my waters popped! he was in SO many waters he was just floating near my cervix and not putting enough weight on it to open it!

so 20 hours at home, 7 hours in a hospital :)

i think i am going to go for a homebirth this time for my second child (but third labour/birth) as i am pretty good at it now and my body knows what its doing :)

I tried to have a homebirth but after 20 hours i ended up in hospital having my waters popped! he was in SO many waters he was just floating near my cervix and not putting enough weight on it to open it!

so 20 hours at home, 7 hours in a hospital :)

i think i am going to go for a homebirth this time for my second child (but third labour/birth) as i am pretty good at it now and my body knows what its doing :)

Would your midwife not break your waters at home? :(

I had my second baby at home and it was the best experience ever :cloud9: (although my daughter's midwifery led water birth with my granddaughter came a pretty close second - absolutely awesome!! ) ...

With my third I ended up having him in my trousers in the hospital car park after a last minute dash to hospital because of meconium staining, so I know how disappointing it is to end up in the hospital after all :hugs:

I hope you get to experience a home birth this time around - when are you due?

Not until August, got a looong while to plan everything out and it really depends on where we are living at the time... My mum is going to come and stay (she lives in Darwin the majority of the year) and help look after Jasper so I think home would be the best place

they dont break your waters at home here unfortunately - though due to such an extended labour, i bled quite heavily and probably would have had to go into hospital anyway!

I didnt mind going in really, i still gave birth in the best position (for me) and got the very best care, given the circumstances it was pretty much perfect :)

Wow a birth in the carpark! that must have been quite an experience!!

It took me 8 hours to birth my angel baby and that was with speed me up drugs and i ONLY had to dilate to 6cm so i am resigning myself to a life of slow births :)

quite enjoy all the gas n air though ;) xxx

LOL! believe it or not I've never tried gas and air :dohh: I'm one of those people who labour hard and fast so I never got the chance to try it.

He wasn't quite born in the car park ... well he was but thankfully I was wearing trousers so he wasn't 'unwrapped' until after they had thrown me on a trolley and wheeled me through the first door they came to in the delivery suite :haha:

Over here a midwife will break your waters at home thank goodness :thumbup: Both of my daughters were August babies and at least it's spring for you rather than carrying through the summer heat :flower:

I'm in South West England so it will be RIGHT through the summer heat :) should have a garden then (and a hose lol) which i intend to make use of!

OH! When you said that your Mum was in Darwin I automatically assumed that you were in Australia too :dohh:

Although I live in Bedfordshire now I grew up in the South West ... I'm a Somerset girl lol

God being pregnant in Darwin would suck! I love somerset, been to some great parties/festivals there x

I vaccinate my LO and will continue to vaccinate my LO and no I am not a brainless parent who just does it cause told to.

The way I see it, it's not worth the risk to my child to not vaccinate.

The reason many of these diseases are not around anymore or are not as common is because of vaccinating.

And as far as the parents who DON'T vaccinate their children it honestly irks me because they are putting my kid and every other kid at risk including their own.

I vaccinate my LO and will continue to vaccinate my LO and no I am not a brainless parent who just does it cause told to.

The way I see it, it's not worth the risk to my child to not vaccinate.

The reason many of these diseases are not around anymore or are not as common is because of vaccinating.

And as far as the parents who DON'T vaccinate their children it honestly irks me because they are putting my kid and every other kid at risk including their own.

Totally agree with you.. :flower:

Its simple. You are taking a risk either way. Yes, if you vacinate you are putting your baby at risk. BUT, if you dont vacinate you are putting them at even greater risk.

The way I see it is pretty clear.

vacinate = small risk.
not vacinate = bigger risk.

Why take the bigger risk when your babies health is concerned?

Because those who have decided to vaccinate have looked at different research* to yuorselves which suggests that the risks outweigh the benefit; whether you agree with that research is up to you-but NO parent is going to choose the option that they believe is the more risky one for their child, just to be 'cool' or something, and to be quite honest it is rude and patronising to make that assumption. While I generally do vaccinate (but on a delayed schedule and not giving a handful of the vaccinations due to severe reactions in my own family), I respect that other parents may have reached a different conclusion through their own research and leave them be.

*and I am not talking the discredited Andrew Wakefield research, there is a lot of other research out there which I may personally not agree with

I'm not saying that this is true of all people... but when it comes to parenting I think there are "trends" that people still follow and fads that are taken part of. I see the choice not to vaccinate as a bit of a trend, bit of a fad and a way of being "different"... rather than a wise parenting choice. xx

I'm not saying that this is true of all people... but when it comes to parenting I think there are "trends" that people still follow and fads that are taken part of. I see the choice not to vaccinate as a bit of a trend, bit of a fad and a way of being "different"... rather than a wise parenting choice. xx

so by saying that you are basically saying there is no risk from vaccination?

I disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->