Whooping cough vaccine??

Faith34

Reaction score
Hi girls, just been for my 27 week midwife app and she mentioned the whooping cough vaccine, she said its my choice and I can phone my doctors after I'm 28 weeks to get it. Has anyone else chosen or not chosen to get it? Dh had whooping cough when he was a few months old and he was very poorly for months, don't want history to repeat itself x

I had my vaccine this morning, I figured it's best to prevent it if given the choice.

Where I live it is not easy to find a provider to give it, so I had to go out of my way and pay nearly $70 for it, but I still felt it was important enough that I did it. My husband got it too.

I am having mine tomorrow....my brother had it as a baby and my mother said it was an awful thing to watch your newborn to go through (as is any bad virus) so if it can help to prevent it then i am all for it :flower:

I had whooping cough when I was about four and I got really really poorly from it, that and having allergies to the most common antibiotics I was sick for 7 weeks! I'm having mine tomorrow. For me it's a no brainer :thumbup: xx

I havnt ever been offered a vaccine when preg. I thought last time I would as I see it a lot. I would refuse it anyway.

I had mine last week, reckon it's safety for LO :).

I had mine in my previous pregnancy and haven't been offered it this time :/ is this my mw being a bit slow? Or am I covered as only had it a year and bit ago so maybe am still covered? Will ask her when I see her but one of you ladies might know! X

Yep I opted to have mine. The thought of a newborn with whooping cough is horrific to me x

Had the vaccine. Glad I did.

I havnt ever been offered a vaccine when preg. I thought last time I would as I see it a lot. I would refuse it anyway.

Can I ask why you would refuse it? Im still only in 1st Tri, so I haven't got round to researching it yet or making a decision, but would like to know other peoples reasons/opinions x

Pretty much a must have in the US but not sure how it is everywhere else. You can go into any Walgreens here and get it for $30... I had a reaction to it that lasted about 2 weeks but still glad I got it over with.

My doc told me at 27 weeks that they automatically give me one when I'm in the hospital after having our baby. They gave me a paper and said OH needs to go to the health dept and get his and it's free to him. But that all adults need to have their vaccine. I'd never heard of this and was confused. I guess it must be becoming more often that children are getting this and having problems. I talked to my sister about it who also stated she didn't know it was mandatory now. She ended up with pertussis after my youngest nephew was born.

It's not mandatory in the US ... you can still refuse it. Not sure why anyone would but I thought the same about the flu shot :shrug:

I have been offered it. I refused it though. Its not just whopping cough, its a combined shot with tetanus and diptheria too. No where near enough supporting evidence for me, as well as the fact that when I read the package insert of the vaccine it said 'not recommended for pregnant women'. Even my widwife was shocked, which didn't give me much confidence:nope:.

Each to their own.

I haven't been offered it but if I was I would refuse. The vaccine used in the UK for whooping cough is one that only a couple of years ago the NHS was advising adult male travellers (in this case backpackers planning to visit Australia) not to have as it was not proven to be effective in adults and the side effects and risks outweighed the benefits. So how have they now concluded it provides protection for pregnant women and their unborn babies? I don't believe there is any evidence of this but there is potential risk which is why the manufacturers say not to be given to pregnant women. Also this vaccine contains bovine proteins and considering I myself have allergies to dairy and my children tend to as well, and two of my children have reacted very badly to the baby version of this vaccine, it's a no-go for me. I will also be delaying the 2,3 and 4 month vaccines because the only combi-injection available on the NHS contains these proteins despite there being several versions available that are considerably safer :( xx

Can I ask why you would refuse it? Im still only in 1st Tri, so I haven't got round to researching it yet or making a decision, but would like to know other peoples reasons/opinions x

No, sorry I dont do vaccine debates. I have my own reasons. I do whats best for me and my family as every one does. :flower: Do your own research no one elses reason should have a bearing on your decision.

I haven't been offered it but if I was I would refuse. The vaccine used in the UK for whooping cough is one that only a couple of years ago the NHS was advising adult male travellers (in this case backpackers planning to visit Australia) not to have as it was not proven to be effective in adults and the side effects and risks outweighed the benefits. So how have they now concluded it provides protection for pregnant women and their unborn babies? I don't believe there is any evidence of this but there is potential risk which is why the manufacturers say not to be given to pregnant women. Also this vaccine contains bovine proteins and considering I myself have allergies to dairy and my children tend to as well, and two of my children have reacted very badly to the baby version of this vaccine, it's a no-go for me. I will also be delaying the 2,3 and 4 month vaccines because the only combi-injection available on the NHS contains these proteins despite there being several versions available that are considerably safer :( xx

Thanks for this Summer rain, very much appreciated :flower: Dragonfly, i wasn't looking to get into a debate. It wasnt opinions I was looking for, it was facts, and it goes without saying that I will be doing my own research before I have to make the decision.

Had mine at 28 weeks. Lots of babies died from it last year, and if my baby caught it when I could've had a simple injection I'd never forgive myself.

Make sure you have it in the arm you don't lie on to sleep though - as it made my arm very swollen and sore for a few days, so I was glad I'd heard the advice and picked my right arm even though I'm right handed, as I have to sleep on my left,

I think I will be refusing it. I am not convinced it will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->