Whooping cough vaccine??

I had mine, didn't even think twice about having it! My arm did come up in a large red lump for some reason though

Ill be having it, just need to book my appointment. The area I live in had a shocking increase in cases last year in newborns. I've lost one baby, I couldn't imagine losing another from something that could be prevented. My midwife said to have it between 28 and 37 weeks so it has time to transfer through the placenta/blood stream and protect baby, nothing about my oh needing it, as the antibodies she'll hopefully build up should protect her until her first lot of injections.

Had mine at 28 weeks. Lots of babies died from it last year, and if my baby caught it when I could've had a simple injection I'd never forgive myself.

Make sure you have it in the arm you don't lie on to sleep though - as it made my arm very swollen and sore for a few days, so I was glad I'd heard the advice and picked my right arm even though I'm right handed, as I have to sleep on my left,

I had the same problem with the flu vaccine - made for a miserable couple of nights!!!

I had the vaccine last week.

I had whooping cough as a child, it's bloody awful!

Glad I had it :thumbup:

I'll be getting it when I'm in the hospital for delivery. I am also having anyone who will be spending more than a short period of time with my baby, before he's old enough to have it himself, get it or they wont be spending a lot of time with him. Whooping cough is on the rise and i wouldn't be able to live with myself if he caught it when all it takes not to is to have the shot.

Had mine yesterday, arm is fine no aches :) two seconds and it was done!!

i've still not been offered mine?? I had a good google and looked through the local NHS and there have been no cases of it on the island for years so I am thinking of not chasing it up, due to having a really bad reaction to the flu jab when pregnant with DD

They didn't offer it in pregnancy, but they gave it 12 hours after birth to me and baby. I would get it.

I had mine done at 31 weeks. It was actually a jab which contained 4 vaccines (whooping cough, diptheria, tetnas and polio I think) and it's exactly the booster that is given to pre-school children. If you are going to have your baby/child vaccinated at 2 months then it makes sense to get the jab now I think. The active ingredients in the jab don't cross into the placenta but the antibodies that your body will produce do. If you had it just after the baby was born then those antibodies would work there way into your breastmilk, if you are BFing?

Don't forget that adults can get whooping cough too and in fact it occurs more often amongst adults as the immunity wears off over time.

That being said, it's for everyone to decide for themselves whether they want it or not. For me and OH the risks of not having it outweighed those of having it...

I had mine done at 31 weeks. It was actually a jab which contained 4 vaccines (whooping cough, diptheria, tetnas and polio I think) and it's exactly the booster that is given to pre-school children. If you are going to have your baby/child vaccinated at 2 months then it makes sense to get the jab now I think. The active ingredients in the jab don't cross into the placenta but the antibodies that your body will produce do. If you had it just after the baby was born then those antibodies would work there way into your breastmilk, if you are BFing?

Don't forget that adults can get whooping cough too and in fact it occurs more often amongst adults as the immunity wears off over time.

That being said, it's for everyone to decide for themselves whether they want it or not. For me and OH the risks of not having it outweighed those of having it...

I had it bang on 28 weeks, Im planning on vaccinating my baby so why not start now>? Iv said this many, many times my friend is a neonate nurse and made me promise to get the jab after watching a newborn baby die from whooping cough, any chance of baby getting some sort of immunity is good enough for me, and as for getting the booster of everything else, its all good for me as far as i can see. Its good to regularly have a tetanus jab, most people, unless they get bitten/scratched/or impaled by a nail or something dont really have regular tetanus jabs at all, usually the last one was from about the age of 15/16.
I posted yesterday about a "friend" of mine hiding the fact that she had whooping cough so that her father could see his gf, she is suffering with whooping cough and glory knows how many people she has been around with it.

I had mine the day I was discharged from hospital when LO was born. DH had his a week later.

In this area they use infanrix or a variant of it for boosters at around one year and at pre school age, which is a safer vaccine with no bovine or egg ingredients at all, on the NHS it's only licenced for up to 14 years of age but don't see why the licensing couldn't be changed so it can be given to adults-or if this isn't possible there are a few versions of the adult version of the dtaP available and licenced for use in the UK, just not on the NHS for some bizarre reason. If they offered a range of options for vaccines then uptakes would be higher. I'm also not convinced that active ingredients don't cross the placenta or into breastmilk some of the vaccine leaflets state that they don't know if the ingredients cross or not hence the vaccine not being advised during pregnancy. Some of the travel ones I had a few years back said this and I had to sign a disclaimer that I definitely wasn't pregnant (I was pregnant but at the time it was too early to test :( )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->