Whooping cough vaccine

iluvcocopops

Mum to Molly-Rose
Reaction score
I live in the UK & midwives are now advising pregnant women to have the whooping cough vaccine to pretect the baby during its first few months.

I'm always a little nervous about getting vaccines, so just wondering if anyone else has had it & if it's perfectly safe for the baby ??

I was worried to and didn't get it in my last pregnancy and still haven't made my mind up about this pregnancy yet x

This vaccine is for the baby's benefit not ours. It is what they would be having at 6 weeks old anyway but with so many parents not vaccinating these days, whooping cough has seen a massive rise.if you don't have the vaccine during pregnancy the baby is at risk for those first 6 weeks and catching it then could be really harmful. That's how it was explained to me anyway.... I got it in my last pregnancy and I'll be getting it again in a few weeks, hope this helps:flower: xx

I got it with before my dd2 was born and she's perfectly healthy. As the pp said, it's babies are more at risk for it bc it has become so common. Plus, people can have it and not realize it. I think it's worth the sore arm if it means protection our babies.

This is my first pregnancy, and I googled about this too. As far as I can see it's perfectly safe for baby as it's just for their benefit. It means they have some protection from it once born before their first jab. I'll be having mine just after 20 weeks.

I'm so nervous about this.
As a baby I was allergic to the vaccine. I ended up getting whooping cough in elementary school and it was TERRIBLE-like on the verge of death terrible.

I'm afraid the baby will also have an allergic reaction to the vaccine. Apparently it could have dramatically stunted my brain development.

I say if you can get it, get it. It really is a terrible thing to go through as a kid.

I've had it done, it also had tetanus, diptheria and polio in which I've not had since school so could do with a booster myself anyway. Just had a sore arm for a few hours, i don't tend to react to vaccines very much. As Ijminer said it's to protect the baby until they're old enough to get their own vaccines, they would be at risk of contracting the disease from unvaccinated children

I'll def be having it. It's for babies benefit or they don't have any immunity when they are born until they have the vaccine later on.

I've never bought the worry about vaccines. An allergic reaction is totally different but the hype over them causing health issues is largely unfounded. I studied vaccines as part of my dissertation, so I've done enough reading to have formed an educated opinion for myself!

It's a personal choice but I feel pretty grateful to live in a country where we can be vaccinated against these horrible diseases. I've seen first hand the damage they can to adults and children in countries where they don't have access to anything! That's enough for me to have anything they offer!

I had it with both dd and ds's pregnancies. I feel like they waited until 3rd tri to give it, but I'm not positive. I'll get it again this time as well. Both kids are perfectly fine btw.

I had it in my last pregnancy and also just had it last week. As the others have said, it is to help baby. If they catch whooping cough when they are young, its not good! To me, it's more important to have it done x

I got the whooping cough and flu vaccines with my son. I had never had the flu shot. Both went fine, and I felt safer knowing I was protecting the baby. :)

I had the vaccine with both of my previous pregnancies and will with this one too. I didn't have any kind of reaction other than a slightly sore arm for a couple of days and both babies were fine.

Thanks ladies, I've booked in to get it in a few weeks. I'll be 26wks then so hopefully that's ok x

I got the whooping cough and flu infection on the same day, different arms! after a while the flu arm hurt like someone had punched it, but other than that i was grand no side effects!

The flu one is a triple one now, dipo, tetnis and flu, so im pretty happy that ive done my bit!

I had it this and last pregnancy, they are offering it as they cant give it to baby before 8 weeks and a lot of lo's died before they were old enough for it! Personally i would always rather do "the right thing" and something go wrong, than do the "wrong thing" and something went wrong, iykwim!

It's a good idea to get any indicated vaccinations. The antibodies you produce will pass to the baby and protect him/her for awhile after birth.

This reminded me that I should mention to my doctor I'll be travelling when my baby is 1.5-2.5 months old.

I'll be having it. I deliberated loads over it in my last pregnancy. Here's a good thread that was knocking about last time I considered it:

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...237-whooping-cough-vaccine-tdap-thoughts.html

I looked at the pros and cons and then grilled my midwife! That info is all on the thread above. In reality when I had it I did actually have a reaction. I felt like I had flu for a couple of days and it was awful. At the time I was told they'd never seen anyone react like that before but my current midwife tells me it's actually fairly common now.

However despite the reaction, baby was fine. And most importantly protected.
Having reread the old thread I am now going to change my appointment for after 28 weeks

I also had a reaction to it. I was extremely fatigued, threw up a few times and had diarrhea. It only lasted a couple of days, but it was worth protecting my baby.

I was just logging into start a topic about this!

My Obgyn suggested that i get whooping cough and flu vaccine the same day at 26weeks. I would always stay away from flu vaccines but now its about my baby and not me.

I dont have problem doing the flu vaccine; however, im scared of Tdap. As soon as i started googling, i saw many mothers saying that their stillbirth baby was caused by this vaccine. Also this vaccine is Class C which means most of the clinical trials are done on animals not human.

Ahhh so hard, i have to decide asap because i need to get this done at 26weeks. Also cant we get it done as soon as we give birth? Then it wont effect the baby?

I had it done before and I'll have it done again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->