Whooping cough vaccine

I was just logging into start a topic about this!

My Obgyn suggested that i get whooping cough and flu vaccine the same day at 26weeks. I would always stay away from flu vaccines but now its about my baby and not me.

I dont have problem doing the flu vaccine; however, im scared of Tdap. As soon as i started googling, i saw many mothers saying that their stillbirth baby was caused by this vaccine. Also this vaccine is Class C which means most of the clinical trials are done on animals not human.

Ahhh so hard, i have to decide asap because i need to get this done at 26weeks. Also cant we get it done as soon as we give birth? Then it wont effect the baby?

It won't pass to baby if you have it after birth. Even if you bf the amount of antibodies that pass through won't be enough.

They can't test on pregnant women because it isn't ethical however it's been used for a fair few years now (about 4 I think) and if there were serious safety concerns, such as stillbirth it would have been withdrawn. As so terribly sad and devastating as still birth is it sounds like perhaps these women were looking for answers as decided the vaccine was the reason, when it's actually highly unlikely.

One thing that is more likely is that if your newborn gets whooping cough it can easily be fatal. This is what made my decision for me. Have a look at the light for Riley Facebook page. It's very sad but reminds you of the importance of protecting our newborns.

I was just logging into start a topic about this!

My Obgyn suggested that i get whooping cough and flu vaccine the same day at 26weeks. I would always stay away from flu vaccines but now its about my baby and not me.

I dont have problem doing the flu vaccine; however, im scared of Tdap. As soon as i started googling, i saw many mothers saying that their stillbirth baby was caused by this vaccine. Also this vaccine is Class C which means most of the clinical trials are done on animals not human.

Ahhh so hard, i have to decide asap because i need to get this done at 26weeks. Also cant we get it done as soon as we give birth? Then it wont effect the baby?
If you look at the googled 'stories' of babies stillborn because of Tdap you'll find the mother neglected to do a postmortem on her child. She was speculating at why her baby died, and then another just as lowly educated poster wrote on the same thread said that her baby has autism from mmr. Autism is now being highly linked to genetic problems, hence why there are so many forms of it. Google CHD8 mutation to find out how autism has been highly linked to genetic mutations. There is simply no evidence that vaccines have cause either of these women's fears. I could post that my baby died because I had eggs for breakfast and it would be just as valid as the fluff that these women posted without having a doctor look into why their babies died. It's really not a hard decision, protect your baby (it's your most basic and most important job as a mother) and leave internet fluff where it should be...on fluffy coffeeshop chat sites!

Well some mothers can be uneducated and blaming the vaccine for their tragedy but i cant stop being restless about getting this vaccine.

The form that i have to sign before the vaccination clearly shows that this vaccine may or may not pass on to the baby and may or may not have risks on the baby. So im signing and taking all the responsibility of this vaccine that i dont know anything about.

The whole thing is based on assumptions. Take this vaccine but we donno if its gonna protect ur baby from whooping cough for sure and we donno if its gonna effect the baby at all. So basically our babies are part of vaccine experiment?

"Breastfeeding may pass some protective antibodies onto your baby
By breastfeeding, you may pass some antibodies you have made in response to the vaccine to your baby. When you get a whooping cough vaccine during your pregnancy, you will have antibodies in your breast milk that you can share with your baby as soon as your milk comes in. However, your baby will not get protective antibodies immediately if you wait to get the whooping cough vaccine until after delivering your baby. This is because it takes about 2 weeks for your body to create antibodies."

I got the flu shot and the whooping cough/tetanus shot last Wed. I never get the flu shot but got it now to protect T.J. I got one in each arm. The flu shot arm was sore for like 3 or 4 days, but the whooping cough arm is still sore today, 5 days later. I decided to get it to be on the safe side. :thumbup:

The whole thing is based on assumptions. Take this vaccine but we donno if its gonna protect ur baby from whooping cough for sure and we donno if its gonna effect the baby at all. So basically our babies are part of vaccine experiment?

"Breastfeeding may pass some protective antibodies onto your baby
By breastfeeding, you may pass some antibodies you have made in response to the vaccine to your baby. When you get a whooping cough vaccine during your pregnancy, you will have antibodies in your breast milk that you can share with your baby as soon as your milk comes in. However, your baby will not get protective antibodies immediately if you wait to get the whooping cough vaccine until after delivering your baby. This is because it takes about 2 weeks for your body to create antibodies."

No, our babies are not a part of a vaccine experiment, these are tested on animals well before humans use them.
The information you posted makes perfect sense **IF** you get the vaccine AFTER you give birth it takes **2** weeks for your body to create antibodies. I'm not sure what's so dramatic about this information. They are covering their bases by saying you may pass on the antibodies just in case you deliver early before the 2 week period for your body to develop the antibodies, you may need to wait the full two weeks out right? Anyway, you can make your decisions based on fear or fact. There are plenty of facts about vaccines out there and like anything else in life, it's far better to read the CDC or NHS websites or the original study outcomes rather than coffee shop chat testimonials. If you plan on not vaccinating, maybe keep in mind that you don't want to be around other people (no introductions, meet n greets, or baby showers) and avoid medical facilities in the first 6 weeks (which may be hard if you need bd-ing help or if your baby needs medical attention or check ups). Maybe nurses can do home visits in your area rather than waltzing into a hospital for check ups. At least try to avoid high risk areas if you're not willing to provide vaccination protection.

I got the vaccine with both pregnancies before and will with this one too... I have whooping cough right now and it is horrendous and definitely out there, my husband has it too, I am so thankful our kids don't. I have cried from coughing so much, and no joke, have peed my pants from the uncontrollable coughing.. it has had me on the ground gagging, drooling, and unable to breathe daily, on the verge of passing out and feeling like if I cough again my head will explode. My husband has bruised his rib from all of the coughing and the doctors have us on inhalers. No cough medicine helps and it can last 3 months.. he is over a month in and me 3 weeks and we are still so miserable and there are still times when I can't breathe no matter how hard I try.

Honestly, after going through this, I would be far more afraid of not getting it and protecting yourself from getting it and transferring it to LO even if LO gets no benefit from the vaccine in passing.. we both had the vaccine about a year ago and still got it, but if we hadn't gotten it our pertussis would be even worse than it is...and I honestly cannot imagine much worse than this. I am so thankful our boys didnt get it.. even I have been scared from the symptoms, I cant imagine if they were feeling that. :/

I got the vaccine with both pregnancies before and will with this one too... I have whooping cough right now and it is horrendous and definitely out there, my husband has it too, I am so thankful our kids don't. I have cried from coughing so much, and no joke, have peed my pants from the uncontrollable coughing.. it has had me on the ground gagging, drooling, and unable to breathe daily, on the verge of passing out and feeling like if I cough again my head will explode. My husband has bruised his rib from all of the coughing and the doctors have us on inhalers. No cough medicine helps and it can last 3 months.. he is over a month in and me 3 weeks and we are still so miserable and there are still times when I can't breathe no matter how hard I try.

Honestly, after going through this, I would be far more afraid of not getting it and protecting yourself from getting it and transferring it to LO even if LO gets no benefit from the vaccine in passing.. we both had the vaccine about a year ago and still got it, but if we hadn't gotten it our pertussis would be even worse than it is...and I honestly cannot imagine much worse than this. I am so thankful our boys didnt get it.. even I have been scared from the symptoms, I cant imagine if they were feeling that. :/

I feel for you. I had it in high school (pretty sure, had the whoop sound from my throat closing and desperately trying to breathe) and I was indeed sick for 3 months. My doctor diagnosed it as bronchitis, I believe because it was pretty uncommon at the time. I was given an inhaler, but every dose hit the back of my throat and triggered yet another coughing fit. That's when I learned to relax rather than fight the pain.

Just imagining and infant going through that, or just going blue because he/she can't handle it the way an adult or older child would...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->