• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who's still TTC after an ectopic and/or methotrexate?

pbl_ge

LTTTC #1 AL
Reaction score
There are a number of threads on here having to do with ectopics and methotrexate, but they seem dominated these days by those who are now expecting. This is FABULOUS, and gives me so much hope! It means that most of those who have been through this have been successful. But I'm wondering how many of us are still TTC? Should we have our own thread?

Personally, I'm not quite in the TTC domain, as my HCG isn't yet down to 0. Fingers crossed that it happens soon!

hey girl your levels will hit 0 soon. I promise. did you cut out all folic acid? I did, it was hard as everything has folic acid, but I wanted to do anything I could to speed up the process.

You will feel 100000 times better once you hit 0. I am still ttc, just starting this cycle.

Hi there:wave:

I got my BFP on 09/09/12 and on 10/05/12 went to the doctor and found out it was ectopic and that my levels were only at 45. I've been back an forth to the doctors waiting for my levels to become zero. Unlike you ladies I did not have the methotrexate, but I would like to join this thread if it is okay.

Hey ladies!! I had metho in July for my ectopic. That's me on allowed to try again now after my two normal cycles. Cd1 today! Can't wait to get cracking! Bought some opk's today.

Xxx

Of course you can join, Snuffles! :hi: I'm so sorry you experienced this. :hugs: It's wonderful that you did not need any intervention--the methotrexate ain't no picnic. Did they tell you how long until you can TTC again? Also, did they run any tests on you, like an HSG? I'm getting mine done whenever my levels are back to 0.

Welcome, Dolly, and good luck for this cycle!!!

Well at first she told me three months in case I needed the methotrexate, but since I don't she said one regular cycle. But I have no idea when that will be as I haven't had any sort of a bleed or anything since finding out. They haven't ran any tests as far as I'm aware. May I ask what the HSG test is?

Well at first she told me three months in case I needed the methotrexate, but since I don't she said one regular cycle. But I have no idea when that will be as I haven't had any sort of a bleed or anything since finding out. They haven't ran any tests as far as I'm aware. May I ask what the HSG test is?

I'm in the same boat as you--no idea when a normal cycle will come again. Do you chart? Not that it helps particularly, as mine have been hilariously off kilter. But it does show me that my body hasn't normalized, and I'm hoping it will be obvious when it finally does.

The HSG test is the dye-through-the-tubes test. It's common post-ectopic. You can read more about it here:
https://infertility.about.com/od/infertilitytesting/a/hsg.htm
And here:
https://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/guide/hysterosalpingogram-21590

Apparently it also may help prevent another ectopic and/or slightly increase chances of pregnancy (for a few months), as moving the dye through the tubes can help clear them out. There's debate in the literature about this, so not all doctors will agree.

I do not chart, it seems too confusing for me lol.

I read the articles, so informative I'll ask the doctor about it when I see her again.

Really? Hmmmm now I'll definitely have to ask about it.

Hi guys
So I just wanted to share a bit. My levels took 4 weeks to hit 0. I cut out all folic acid from my diet to speed it up as folic counteracts the methotrexate. Snuffles, like she said, you are VERY lucky that you didn't need the methotrexate, its tough.

Once I hit 0, I started my prenatals right away. My doctor said i should be on them at least 4 weeks before ttc again, she also said wait til after 1 cycle. ITs very interesting though as it seems everyones doctor tells them a different time frame.

I did get an HSG test, i was terrified the day of but it wasn't THAT bad, I took 800 mg ibuprophen before I went, its a little wierd but ok, not terribly painful, I was a bit crampy later that day and thats it. Lucky for me my tubes were clear, although she did say that my right side "flowed slower" than my left, so she thinks MAYBE that was the side with the ectopic.

pbl, what were you numbers last time? how often are you going? once per week?

Hi guys
So I just wanted to share a bit. My levels took 4 weeks to hit 0. I cut out all folic acid from my diet to speed it up as folic counteracts the methotrexate. Snuffles, like she said, you are VERY lucky that you didn't need the methotrexate, its tough.

Once I hit 0, I started my prenatals right away. My doctor said i should be on them at least 4 weeks before ttc again, she also said wait til after 1 cycle. ITs very interesting though as it seems everyones doctor tells them a different time frame.

I did get an HSG test, i was terrified the day of but it wasn't THAT bad, I took 800 mg ibuprophen before I went, its a little wierd but ok, not terribly painful, I was a bit crampy later that day and thats it. Lucky for me my tubes were clear, although she did say that my right side "flowed slower" than my left, so she thinks MAYBE that was the side with the ectopic.

pbl, what were you numbers last time? how often are you going? once per week?

It's definitely true that everyone's doctors say different things! I talked to two, who said different things. The first said to wait a full cycle, the second said that under no circumstances should I try again before my levels were down to 0 (apparently you can get a new pregnancy while there's still a growing mass in the tubes, which is quite a dilemma), but after that I should feel free to go for it. Neither said a word about folic acid, vitamins, alcohol, etc.--none of the things you read that you should avoid while on MTX.

I haven't cut out foods with folic acid; if anything I'm taking more! I'm vegetarian and OH is vegan, so pretty much everything we eat is high in FA (beans, leafy greens, nuts, etc.). I think I'd starve if I tried to cut it out of my diet!

Despite this, I think my levels are going down pretty quickly. Want to know how much of a nerd I am? I made a chart. :haha:

Attachments

• HCG.jpg
    HCG.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 11
OMG they didn't tell you to stay away from folic/???? how crazy~! To me, they made it sound like taking my prenatals would be very dangerous....... are you still taking your prenatals?

cutting out folic was HARD - especially seeing all i usually eat is green leafy vegees, legumes and protein but i did it. i ate CRAP - pizza, chinese, all stuff i never eat, I gained about 10lbs and was sick but i didn't care as it got me to 0 quickly.

thats great you are at 500, your numbers should continue to drop quickly i hope.

Im also shocked they didn't tell you about no alcohol, methotrexate messes with your liver bad so alcohol can be dangerous. how odd?

I had the hardest time after I got the shot as: I couldn't drink, i couldn't exercise, i couldn't eat healthy. it was ROUGHHHHHHHHHHHH

oh well, im glad you are almost at 0 and can move on soon.

I'm surprised they didn't tell you any of that either.

I have no real explanation for this. I asked both of them extensive questions, so they had plenty of time. The drug info papers they handed me didn't say anything, either. I did stop taking my prenatals, and will start again after the levels are at 0. I think I might have ignored them if they'd told me to stay away from alcohol--I think that was the only thing that kept me going during all this! Like you, it was rough--I wasn't pregnant, couldn't try again for months, couldn't exercise, couldn't talk to hardly anyone about what was going on, felt miserable, cried a lot, but I COULD HAVE DELICIOUS WINE!!!! I've actually lost 10 pounds since the m/c started!

Anyway, my numbers have progressed quite rapidly (according to the docs), so perhaps I'm a data point that maybe it doesn't matter too much? :shrug: Hoping I didn't harm my liver too much, but this is one of the reasons for my cleanse!

Dearie me I can't believe they let you drink either!! I was told no alcohol, and no sex, and no prenatal until less than zero. They also checked my liver function and full blood count every two days along with my hcg levels to ensure the metho wasn't doing any damage. I was told wait two full cycles after having my initial bleed (the bleed I had after my hcg hit zero) as that wouldn't be a proper af it was in reaction to hcg coming down. The ectopic society also reccomends waiting two cycles due to the increased risk of abnormalities the metho can cause- its a chemotherapy after all. But it's odd that different docs seem to suggest different waiting times. I've talked with a lot of ladies who where only told to wait one cycle.
Anyways..Lets just hope none of us need it ever again!! My doc offered me hsg but as it was my first ever pregnancy he thinks its better I try naturally for 6 months, and the. If nothing happening they'll get me back for tests. I feel hopeful though. Just have a feeling this time that its all gonna be ok.. I the same way I knew from even before I knew I was pregnant last time that something was wrong. I'm taking 600mcg folic acid to try catch up- what you ladies taking, or planning to take once upu hit zero??I keep wondering if I should be taking more?!

Hope those of you that not at zero yet hit it quickly!..and those of you waiting on af have it ASAP!! Xxx

Dearie me I can't believe they let you drink either!! I was told no alcohol, and no sex, and no prenatal until less than zero. They also checked my liver function and full blood count every two days along with my hcg levels to ensure the metho wasn't doing any damage. I was told wait two full cycles after having my initial bleed (the bleed I had after my hcg hit zero) as that wouldn't be a proper af it was in reaction to hcg coming down. The ectopic society also reccomends waiting two cycles due to the increased risk of abnormalities the metho can cause- its a chemotherapy after all. But it's odd that different docs seem to suggest different waiting times. I've talked with a lot of ladies who where only told to wait one cycle.
Anyways..Lets just hope none of us need it ever again!! My doc offered me hsg but as it was my first ever pregnancy he thinks its better I try naturally for 6 months, and the. If nothing happening they'll get me back for tests. I feel hopeful though. Just have a feeling this time that its all gonna be ok.. I the same way I knew from even before I knew I was pregnant last time that something was wrong. I'm taking 600mcg folic acid to try catch up- what you ladies taking, or planning to take once upu hit zero??I keep wondering if I should be taking more?!

Hope those of you that not at zero yet hit it quickly!..and those of you waiting on af have it ASAP!! Xxx

The prenatals I am taking has 800mg and then I take another supplement that has 200mg - so a total of 1000mg. I work at a hospital and spoke to several of my MD's about this as i wanted to be SURE what my RE was telling me was ok and safe. The docs said that the half life for methotrexate is only a matter of hours, so should absolutely be gone from your system within one weeks time, that is of course if YOU ONLY HAD ONE INJECTION of it. They said waiting 1 cycle is sufficient and being on daily folate for up to 4 weeks is a good amount of time to build your levels back up. Unless of course you fall into any of the high risks factors for spinal issues in babies, does in run in your family? etc? I also eat a ton of spinich, asparagus and other foods HIGH in folic acid. :)

and thats right! i was also told no sex! i forgot about that one. :wacko:
probably cuz having sex was the FURTHEST thing on my mind while going through that!

I feel like you, im excited (but scared) to try again but I feel positive about this time, like i know its going to be ok!

I have no real explanation for this. I asked both of them extensive questions, so they had plenty of time. The drug info papers they handed me didn't say anything, either. I did stop taking my prenatals, and will start again after the levels are at 0. I think I might have ignored them if they'd told me to stay away from alcohol--I think that was the only thing that kept me going during all this! Like you, it was rough--I wasn't pregnant, couldn't try again for months, couldn't exercise, couldn't talk to hardly anyone about what was going on, felt miserable, cried a lot, but I COULD HAVE DELICIOUS WINE!!!! I've actually lost 10 pounds since the m/c started!

Anyway, my numbers have progressed quite rapidly (according to the docs), so perhaps I'm a data point that maybe it doesn't matter too much? :shrug: Hoping I didn't harm my liver too much, but this is one of the reasons for my cleanse!

Its VERY interesting how different things can be done. I also forgot until Dolly mentioned it that I also had to have liver function testing done before they approved me to get the Metho AND i had to get my liver levels checked every few days to make sure they were responding ok to the metho. So, its just interesting that in different parts of the country, they do things SO differently. Oh well, I would have loved to have a class of wine. It probably would have helped me a great deal - seeing i coudln't exercise or anything, but nope, instead i sat on the couch in my misery, ate chinese food and gained 10lbs.! :dohh: LMFAO
but, thats OK because i got through it quickly. and i am ready to ttc again! you will be at 0 before you know it girl! YAY

Ooh maybe I should up my dosage?? Hmm no no history of it at all, it's the standard recommendation here.. I'm in Edinburgh, whereabouts are you?
Mm I would've liked a wee glass of wine too! Like you grace I spent my time moping on couch, eating rubbish! I gained 7lbs!! But have lost it now. What level is your hcg now? My only took two weeks to come down.. I responded amazingly to the metho my numbers halved within two days! Xxx

Ooh maybe I should up my dosage?? Hmm no no history of it at all, it's the standard recommendation here.. I'm in Edinburgh, whereabouts are you?
Mm I would've liked a wee glass of wine too! Like you grace I spent my time moping on couch, eating rubbish! I gained 7lbs!! But have lost it now. What level is your hcg now? My only took two weeks to come down.. I responded amazingly to the metho my numbers halved within two days! Xxx

My levels hit 0 4 weeks after injection so not too bad, I think pbl said she was at 500 (according to her chart). I am in the US.
Are you ttc again Dolly? I am, should O next week - can't wait! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->