Whos taking folic acid already?

Mommy2Kian

Kaden and Sian :)
Reaction score
Would it be worth taking folic acid now even if we dont TTC untill next sept? :-k

:flower:

I've just (yesterday) had D&C for MMC and the midwife said keep taking it as it will do no harm. i was going to stop for a while and start again in a couple of months but the OH is force feedingme folic acid every day still bless him. If you're sure there's no chance of you conceiving before Sept then it may be a waste of money but OHs view today was 'well it's only £7 a month'

Im sorry for ur loss hun :hugs:

Maybe if i take the cheapy ones for a bit then when im a bit coser to the date, start taking the pregnacare ones? :thumbup:

we're going to start trying round the same time as you hon and i'm currently taking folic acid in with some other vitamins, about april time i think i'm going to switch to taking the pre natals from boots :)

My doctor said to take them at least three months before TTC, but she also said the longer you take it the better! So it definitely wouldn't hurt to start taking them now.

My doc said the same thing about taking them 3 mnths b4 TTC. But also suggested a multi with Folic just for overall health. Question...has anyone found a good multi? i think my multi is making me nauseous:wacko:

My doc said the same thing about taking them 3 mnths b4 TTC. But also suggested a multi with Folic just for overall health. Question...has anyone found a good multi? i think my multi is making me nauseous:wacko:

My doctor prescribed me a multi-vitamin plus folic acid tablet. It only costs $8 for the whole bottle (and that's w/o insurance) and lasts a month.

However, if your multi is making you nauseous you could try taking them at night instead. Multi vitamins always make me nauseous, so I take it at night right before bed. That way you sleep through it!

My plan was, and has been take the cheapy boots ones as it can do no harm, I have been taking them for a few months now, but in January I intend to move up to Pregnacare since its more pricey and got lots of goodies in it :happydance: That way I don't spent a fortune and I feel like I'm doing something proactive.

I'm taking them now, but I also actually saw an article in the UK media recently that said that all women of a fertile age should take Folic Acid all the time as the no. of cases of Spina Bifida is so high and so many pregnancies are unplanned. So, technicallty that's saying that we should all take it all the time, unless we're abstaining!

I'm not trying til June but I have been taking folic acid since around about mid September - We kinda thought it wouldnt do any harm and we arn't being 100% careful on the contraception side of things either so its probably best.

Like pretty much everyone else I am taking cheap micro tablets that were in a 3 for 2 offer in boots and around about 3 months before I'll swap onto a pre natal brand.

:flower:

I'm taking them now, but I also actually saw an article in the UK media recently that said that all women of a fertile age should take Folic Acid all the time as the no. of cases of Spina Bifida is so high and so many pregnancies are unplanned. So, technicallty that's saying that we should all take it all the time, unless we're abstaining!

This is the article I saw that made me start taking it...

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8232089.stm

Those who feel nauseous with multi vitamins, you do take take them on a full stomach don't you. I know Pregnacare says to take them on a full stomach with one of the side effects being nausea if your stomach is empty.

I'm ntnp from early April and have been taking folic acid for nearly 3 months now. I'm only taking a cheap one from Savers (49p for 90 tablets!!!) and I plan to move onto a more expensive pregnancy multivitamin from when these run out on December 13th. Beforehand I was eating plenty of foods and drinks fortified with folic acid and it was quite good that on the one day I forgot a tablet I'd drunk a whole litre of multivitamin drink from LIDL which had 1000 micrograms of folic acid in it!!!

Beca :wave:

For you, it is worth you taking it at a high dose every day. If there was any risk I could accidentally get pregnant I would have to take 5mg of Folic Acid every day since my LO has a NTD.

I would take it if I were you, since your son had a Neural tube defect (sorry to be so frank about that :( ) it will reduce the chance of reoccurance to below 1%.

Don't mean to preach but this is so true. I did take FA but I could have prevented my LO's SB by taking a higher dose (I didn't know I should be taking it at the time). I live with the consequences every day :thumbup:

I'm taking a pre-TTC multivit from my local Cornwells chemist, it wasn't expensive at all and has the full amount of folic acid necessary in it (I think about 400mg). We'll now be starting TTC in about June.

I don't see why not honey! It gets your body used to them! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"