whos wrong?

special_kala

love my bugs
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Ringwood-school-inch-temporary-hair-dye.html

I keep seeing articles like this and the parents always seem to defend the child and say the school is wrong.

I dont agree with that at all. I would have been punished exactly the same at my school because its breaking the rules. She would have known the rules but just ignored them so she should be punished.

When my girls are older they can do what they like with their hair as long as it conforms with the school rules, so if they want to dye their hair pink they are free to in the school holidays as long as its back to normal at the end.

Is this mum not giving the wrong message to her kid?

I agree with you. If the rules of the school stated that this hairstyle was not allowed, then well, don't let your child have that style. Simple really.

The school I went to were very strict about uniform, hairstyles, make up etc. We weren't allowed to wear bootcut trousers (god knows why, but hey ho). If we turned up in these trousers, a letter was sent to parents with a deadline to find suitable trousers (usually 1 week).

The rules of the school were in each pupils handbook & website for all to see.

Im with the school and who doesnt know that you have to have natural hair colour at school

Zoes primary school doesnt allow ear rings or nail polish. I choose to send her there and I choose to keep within the rules they set out. As you have to in life and in work. :shrug:

Im all for individuality but i dont understand why you have to break the rules to be different. My school was pretty strict, we couldn't wear make up, no unatural hair colours, boys wernt allowed hair past their collar etc.

I read about some guy who got all these tattoos on his face (i think he was on jeremy kyle) and now no one will employ him...what did he expect? They wernt even well done or artistic

I'm with the school, its part of uniform policy and she should abide by the rules. I remember my brother was suspended from school because he cut his hair too short.

Yer I agree with the school too, it actually winds me up when parents just let their kids disregard the rules when it pleases them. My daughter often asks why other kids are allowed and shes not and shes only in Primary. Rules are there for a reason IMO.

Also there are always going to be rules that have to be followed whether in everyday life or in the work place and I just don't think it sets a good example for later on in life. Its not like she will get to pick and choose once she starts working so why now. If she didn't like them then she would have to find another job, perhaps if her Mum doesn't like the school rules then she should do the same and find her daughter another school.

Aside from the daily mail using 'isolation' what so that's detention to you and I! Totally agree with the school. I was at a strict school no skirts higher than an inch above knee ect. I knew the rules and the consequences.

I also edit to say that throughout life there are rules to be followed, I see it as grounding as adult.

Our school did isolation too. Basically you sat outside the classroom with the same work and spent your lunchtime with the teacher

I agree with you Kala, I think that when a parent chooses to send their child to a child to a school, they are agreeing to abide by the policies. As a previous poster said rules and uniform policies are clearly stated in handbooks and on websites. I am a secondary school teacher and see this all the time.

Yeah I would have to agree with the school too. If it's their policy, then she needs to deal with the consequences. We don't have schools like that where I grew up... really the only rule was nobaseball hats inside, so I think it's a bit extreme, but they obviously choose to go to that school.

Yeah I would have to agree with the school too. If it's their policy, then she needs to deal with the consequences. We don't have schools like that where I grew up... really the only rule was nobaseball hats inside, so I think it's a bit extreme, but they obviously choose to go to that school.

Most schools in the uk have similar rules.

Do you have uniforms in your school?

Most schools in the uk have similar rules.

Do you have uniforms in your school?

No lol... I probably only think it's extreme because most kids here go to public schools and the rules for clothing etc are pretty slack. No uniforms, you just couldn't wear anything too revealing, no baseball caps inside the building, and I'm assuming no profanity on clothing. I remember kids at school with green mohawks, wearing collars with spikes, crazy make up...

She'd never heard of the rules before? Is there not a handbook that specifically states the rules of the institution? Goodness gracious, it's not "bullying," as she called it. Why should the rules not apply to her child, like the rest of the population?

:dohh:

https://www.laughlocker.com/assets/0/3/teaching-then-and-now_1343465434.jpg

I agree and i dont at the same time. I was put into isolation a lot in school. Always over one stupid thing or another to do with uniform. As a child, you do not buy your own uniform. My parents bought it and i suffered. When they had to buy it again i got to hear about it. It wasnt my fault as the kid. So i do think it was handled wrong for the child because her mother let her.

The mother did wrong by allowing her to do it. The school did wrong by compromising her education for potentially 8 weeks.

The isolation i was put in was not pleasant. It was in a cold corner behind the gym. No interaction and more often than not, they would forget to send work or the teacher would refuse and say if you aren't there, you cant learn.

Keeping kids away from their friends at break times etc is harmful to the education also. Friends move on very quickly at that age and feeling isolated from them could make them not want to go to school at all.

I say all of this from personal experiences. Im on the fence really as a mother and as a person who once was in that position. Saying that though, if i didnt like the school rules, i wouldnt have sent my child there in the first place.

IF the school clearly stated the rules, then they are not in the wrong for sticking to their policies. Many times those rules are in place for a reason, and to bend the rules for one student who chooses to disregard them weakens the school's authority. Personally, I feel the mother's reaction does a disservice to the child, as she is setting the example that disregarding the rules is acceptable.

ive seen that picture before. Its so true

My sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and mother-in-law are all teachers currently. My grandparents taught in the 50s and 60s. To compare the stories from both generations regarding the school environment makes me dread when LO is old enough to start school:nope:

Teachers have close to no authority in the US public school system, and many live in fear of losing their job should a parent feel as though their child isn't being treated well or is even REMOTELY disciplined in the classroom. Just last week my sister-in-law was telling me that one of the most beloved teachers at her school (a woman who had been teaching for over 30 years) had assault charges filed against her by a parent after she PLACED HER HAND on a 7th-grader's shoulder to keep him from punching an Autistic child in her classroom after bullying him.

In my opinion, the mother should be more concerned with the fact that her child was a bully and required restraint.:shrug:

I think the school should be congratulated on sticking to what is in the rules regarding uniform. I'm a secondary teacher and while supply teaching I have seen many schools which do not follow their own rules and allow pupils to wear their skirts as short as they like, hair any colour and loads of makeup etc. When tge pupils at these schools feel the need to push the boundaries they do so by disrespecting teachers and disrupting learning in a serious way that schools then find difficult to punish having never been consistent with following through on rules before. In contrast it seems like schools that are strictest with their uniform policy have better behaved pupils and better learning environments and when pupils wish to start pushing boundaries etc they will do so in less serious ways such as with uniform and if tge school always follow their own policies behaviour in classrooms is nowhere near as bad as in some schools.

All that girls mother is doing by going to the press is teaching that girl that rules don't have to be followed and that she shouldn't listen to people in authority. Unfortunately life doesn't work like that.

I agree that it's the mother fault for allowing her daughter to do it.....

However I think she has a point about individuality. Growing up is a tough and exciting time. Why shouldn't people express themselves and experiment whilst their still young? As long as an individuals behaviour is good and they work hard then I don't see the issue with a little individuality. Better that than a 'natural' looking student who bullies others or is continuously disruptive in lessons (just an example) behaviour is more important than appearance in my opinion.

As for someone saying one of the rules was that males couldn't have hair past their shoulders is just ridiculous :dohh: don't understand that at all, to me that's just sexism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->