whos wrong?

Thing is the no red hair rule is not discrimination. It applies to all students. That's the major difference between this and the Rosa Parks example. Some people may disagree with the rule but it can't really be called unfair.

Thing is the no red hair rule is not discrimination. It applies to all students. That's the major difference between this and the Rosa Parks example. Some people may disagree with the rule but it can't really be called unfair.

I agree, this isn't an unfair or unjust situation, this isn't discrimination, this is someone deliberately breaking a rule the school has and being annoyed when she is punished.

I've got to say, I think by giving the same punishment to a student for dyeing the tips of her hair pink as they'd give to a student for bullying another, the school is sending out a horrible message.

No way my mum and dad would never have stuck up for me!! I would be in the wrong and at school age I wouldn't expect anything different! I think especially if it's the ruled doesn't matter if others have broken them it's down to you as a parent to do what you think is responsible and if it were me I would back the school all the way! X

Thankfully we didnt have these sort of rules in my school when I was there (although they did about a year after I left) because my hair was a differant colour ever week, but I still managed isolation for plenty of other reasons :)
I agree with the school, if we had these rules my mum would never of allowed it, you agree to these rules when you attend the school or send your child there so why be so up in arms when they are punished for breaking them?
School lays the foundations for adult life, you cant just go making your own rules as a adult or breaking them and expect to be patted on the back (this why I hate harry potter but thats another argument)

Firstly, having a rule about pink hair dye cannot even come close to being compared to Black people not being allowed to sit at the front of the bus or use the same facilities as White people.

Secondly, there is a better and more mature way to go about changing rules than simply by breaking or ignoring them. (Who decides what rules are fair and what rules are unfair, anyway? What if someone thought that it was unfair to not have money, so they thought it would be okay to rob a bank? Or what if someone thinks it's not fair to be able to take a gun to school, so they bring one?) If a student or parent thinks that the school rules are wrong for some reason, they they should write a proposal letter, or give a presentation, to the administrators/school board and go about trying to change the rules in the proper way. Or, they should just attend another school where hair color is not an issue.

Did you really just criticise me for comparing this girl's situation to racial discrimination (which I did say were incomparable) and then go on to compare dyed hair to bringing a gun to school? Really?

I don't think that this girl and her mother approached the situation correctly. The right thing to do would have been for the mother to approach the school first and put forward the compromise of ensuring that her daughter's tips were not on display. If that didn't work she should have followed up with a solicitors letter outlining their position. The flippant 'she should just find another school' argument isn't how it works. The child has a legal entitlement to an education if the mother wants her to have it. If the school doesn't want her there it is they who have to find her a place in another school, not the other way around.

The school wasnt denying her education though just interaction which isnt a legal right plus its not tne schools job to find her replacment education if for example she was expelled.
Im a bir confused if you say this case and racial discrimination are incomparable wht bring it up?

I don't think Rosa Parks did the right thing either and nor do I think her actions are the reason for anti discrimination laws. Her action was symbolic and of the right time.

You cannot have a society who decide which rules they want to obey and which they don't. Children need to learn a respect for rules they don't agree with and a respect for the authority which imposes them. They can be taught how to challenge those rules and have them changed. Breaking them achieves nothing.

I'd also disagree that changing the school is a flippant issue. The girl is entitled to an education in the most suitable place for her. If the mother decides she doesn't like that place, the education authority does not have to move her. They will try and accommodate her elsewhere if it is requested but they don't have to do it.

exactly, isnt it better to raise a child with the respect for rules and the purpose of them to be able to grow up and challange a society in a educated official way ie pettition, campaining even going into goverment to make a differance rather then encouraging them ti just break whatever ones they dont like and see what they can get away with?

I was sent to the toilets once to wash some of my makeup off ! I just had abit of black eyeliner and eyeshadow on lol..in all honesty it probably was abit heavy but hey i was abit gothy :)
Im in two minds about this..
Whilst i agree rules are rules and i think its good for students to all be the same to an extent as it keeps them all on one level (our school banned non uniform days as they encouraged bullying)
I also feel its sometimes taken too far..
With boys not being allowed a shorter hair cut than no 2..and no longet than such and such..even our ties had to be the right lengh..!
Whilst it seems slightly dramatic..
I dont think this girl was treated that unfairly personqlly though..after all it was bright pink and how else could they have dealt with it..by either saying..get rid of it or you'll havta stay in isolation..

This happened at my school- this boy showed up with electric blue hair and got told he wouldnt be allowed back at school until his hair was a more acceptable colour. So he tried dying it blonde...but that made his hair green. So he got sent home again and showed up the next day with black hair.

I just don't think the parents bother I think they want an easy life so just let the kids do what they like! Rules are there for a reason and you go to school to learn it's not a fashion show. Where I live I see 13-14 year old girls going to school with tiny skirts on like they are going out on a Saturday night!!! Come on that's so over the top but again who allows there child to go out like this!

Now I was a teenager once so I'm not that nieave to know sometimes mum and dad don't know. But for mum and dad to then stick up for there son/daughters mishaps is just outrageous!!

At our seconadry school they are very strict- no hair dying at all, can only wear it in a 'traditional' style, boys are not allowed hair longer than shoulder length.

They( and parents) have to sign an agreement before they start the school.

My mums next door neighbour got expelled as her hair was 'too blonde' apparantly- however she was born white blonde. Im sure she must have had it bleached somewhere along the line too.I thought it was a bit extreme but guess they have to make no exceptions for it to be fair to everyone else.

^^ my sisters friend had a white blonde streak in her hair. She had mousy brown hair with a white blonde streak, this was it was when she grew up. It looked fab!

Her parent's had to take in old photos to show it was natural and not chemical.

^^ my sisters friend had a white blonde streak in her hair. She had mousy brown hair with a white blonde streak, this was it was when she grew up. It looked fab!

Her parent's had to take in old photos to show it was natural and not chemical.

Funny enough my friends little sister had this thing where parts of her skin and hair had no pigmant so she had a pure white streak in her dark brown hair and the school told her she had to dye it out.
Her parents hit the roof and had to prove it was natural for her and wasnt a case of bleach, the fact her face, arms and legs also had white patches didnt seem to be enough proof for them.

As a parent you have to teach your children many things you also have to teach them to follow the rules. if you don't teach this lesson then as they grow they think they are Entitled and that rules do not apply to them. I don't care if it is the stupidest rule ever, it is there and it should be followed.

When my oldest son was in a private Catholic high school he would get detention almost everyday, why, because he would forget to put his "official school belt" on :wacko:

That meant an hour of detention, is it stupid YES, but he went to the school and had to do as they said, he was there he had to follow their rules.
He didn't forget it on purpose he just forgot it cause I had 3 kids in 3 different schools and everyday was a rush to get out the door.
Would I ever call the school and say this is ridiculous ? No , because this is what was supposed to be followed and if you don't like it , leave.

I have raised 3 kids and have been a mother for over 21 yrs. and believe me teaching your children at age 2 to follow rules and regulations goes a long way, entitlement is such a bad character trait. I taught that and work ethic and though it may seem not as important as other things you teach your children it really is important and serves them well as adults.
Not saying anyone here does not teach that, I am just saying kids have to learn there are rules yours and others and they need to be respected and followed no matter how little, ridiculous or insignificant they may seem :flower::flower:

As a parent you have to teach your children many things you also have to teach them to follow the rules. if you don't teach this lesson then as they grow they think they are Entitled and that rules do not apply to them. I don't care if it is the stupidest rule ever, it is there and it should be followed.

When my oldest son was in a
private Catholic high school he
would get detention almost
everyday, why, because he would
forget to put his "official school
belt" on :wacko:

That meant an hour of detention, is it stupid YES, but he went to the school and had to do as they said, he was there he had to follow their rules.

He didn't forget it on purpose he just forgot it cause I had 3 kids in 3 different schools and everyday was a rush to get out the door.
Would I ever call the school and say this is ridiculous ? No , because this is what was supposed to be followed and if you
don't like it , leave

I have raised 3 kids and have been a mother for over 21 yrs. and believe me teaching your children at age 2 to follow rules and regulations goes a long way, entitlement is such a bad character trait. I taught that and work ethic and though it may seem not as important as other things you teach your children it really is
important and serves them well as
adults.

Not saying anyone here does not teach that, I am just saying kids have to learn there are rules yours and others and they need to be respected and followed no matter how little, ridiculous or insignificant they may seem :flower::flower:

Couldn't have said it better myself : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"