Why do people say they dont want vaginal examinations?

I didn't have a VE at any point during pregnancy or labour. During our birth plan meeting the midwife told me that she only does them if things seem to be progressing slowly with the mother getting tired and it is a starting point for whether they transfer or keep plugging along. It is mostly for the woman to gauge where she is at and how she feels and pretty much only relevent to the midwife by knowing how the woman feels about it.

I can think of a few benefits to vaginal exams. If things are progressing slowly, a midwife may perferm a VE and notice scar tissue that can be broken up by gentle massage of the cervix which is usually enough to speed things along. VE's can also assess presentation of the baby during labour. The benefit of this being if the amniotic sac breaks and there is a risk of a cord prolaspe. But I am certain there are other warning signs that don't involve VE's. Palpatation can be done closer to term to check if the baby is cephalic and engaging.

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread so sorry if I am reposting but here is a imformative article:

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/pregnancy/vaginal-exams

And another:
https://find.galegroup.com.ezproxy1.acu.edu.au/gtx/infomark.do?&contentSet=IAC-Documents&type=retrieve&tabID=T003&prodId=AONE&docId=A65859208&source=gale&srcprod=AONE&userGroupName=acuni&version=1.0

With this one, I have been logged into sites looking at research so hopefully this is a open access article. If so, it is called 'SECOND STAGE: AN ARTIFICIAL DIVISION.' by Alicia Huntly. I find it relevent to how VE's are so often used.

I think VEs are really one of those personal choice type things. For me, I know I will definitely want to have one when I first go in, because I have a tendency to not show as many signs at the beginning of active labor, and it can be quite useful to 'prove' to the nursing staff that you are, in fact, in labor. I don't know that I would actually be admitted otherwise.

I also had the urge to push too soon with both of my daughters, and had to practice panting/blowing to avoid it. I dilated *very* quickly from 8-10 with both girls, approximately 30 minutes, but from 8 on, my body wanted to push. You can get the urge too soon, and that can slow your labor by putting more pressure on the cervix and causing it to swell. You can also end up with internal tears.

Compared to the feelings of labor and delivery, I did not find the VEs to be painful though - I wouldn't say I enjoyed them, they are definitely uncomfortable, but just not even in the same range of discomfort as contractions.

That said, I feel no need to be checked hourly. Once at the beginning, and then towards the end when I may start getting urges to push will be all that I'm expecting/wanting this time around. If I hadn't had the experience with starting to push too soon, I wouldn't even feel the 2nd check was particularly necessary.

Intermittant fetal monitoring (NOT continuous) can be a better indicator if you need an intervention than how quickly your cervix dilates for sure - so if it does seem like you've been in labor for a looong time but still no need to push, the fetal monitoring can help you know if baby is in distress or not. And if the baby isn't in distress, I think that helps calm mom down too :) I know it does for me!

I dont know if it has been posted already but this is a GREAT read

https://wonderfullymadebelliesandba...7/dilation-how-to-check-without-checking.html

I didn't have a VE at any point during pregnancy or labour. During our birth plan meeting the midwife told me that she only does them if things seem to be progressing slowly with the mother getting tired and it is a starting point for whether they transfer or keep plugging along. It is mostly for the woman to gauge where she is at and how she feels and pretty much only relevent to the midwife by knowing how the woman feels about it.

I can think of a few benefits to vaginal exams. If things are progressing slowly, a midwife may perferm a VE and notice scar tissue that can be broken up by gentle massage of the cervix which is usually enough to speed things along. VE's can also assess presentation of the baby during labour. The benefit of this being if the amniotic sac breaks and there is a risk of a cord prolaspe. But I am certain there are other warning signs that don't involve VE's. Palpatation can be done closer to term to check if the baby is cephalic and engaging.

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread so sorry if I am reposting but here is a imformative article:

https://www.bellybelly.com.au/pregnancy/vaginal-exams

And another:
https://find.galegroup.com.ezproxy1.acu.edu.au/gtx/infomark.do?&contentSet=IAC-Documents&type=retrieve&tabID=T003&prodId=AONE&docId=A65859208&source=gale&srcprod=AONE&userGroupName=acuni&version=1.0

With this one, I have been logged into sites looking at research so hopefully this is a open access article. If so, it is called 'SECOND STAGE: AN ARTIFICIAL DIVISION.' by Alicia Huntly. I find it relevent to how VE's are so often used.

thank you very much! :) very helpful xx

I think VEs are really one of those personal choice type things. For me, I know I will definitely want to have one when I first go in, because I have a tendency to not show as many signs at the beginning of active labor, and it can be quite useful to 'prove' to the nursing staff that you are, in fact, in labor. I don't know that I would actually be admitted otherwise.

I also had the urge to push too soon with both of my daughters, and had to practice panting/blowing to avoid it. I dilated *very* quickly from 8-10 with both girls, approximately 30 minutes, but from 8 on, my body wanted to push. You can get the urge too soon, and that can slow your labor by putting more pressure on the cervix and causing it to swell. You can also end up with internal tears.

Compared to the feelings of labor and delivery, I did not find the VEs to be painful though - I wouldn't say I enjoyed them, they are definitely uncomfortable, but just not even in the same range of discomfort as contractions.

That said, I feel no need to be checked hourly. Once at the beginning, and then towards the end when I may start getting urges to push will be all that I'm expecting/wanting this time around. If I hadn't had the experience with starting to push too soon, I wouldn't even feel the 2nd check was particularly necessary.

Intermittant fetal monitoring (NOT continuous) can be a better indicator if you need an intervention than how quickly your cervix dilates for sure - so if it does seem like you've been in labor for a looong time but still no need to push, the fetal monitoring can help you know if baby is in distress or not. And if the baby isn't in distress, I think that helps calm mom down too :) I know it does for me!

thanks for answering! see i knew ppl can feel the urge to push to soon but people keep saying " ur body will only get the urge when the time is right its womanly nature etc" i think they say that because they knew when to push but thanks for saying that because now i know for sure i was right lol, i havent had a baby before so i wont know if i feel the need to push primaturely etc so it would comfort me to know when is right to push! :)

When I gave birth, they were totally unexpecting it. I went from zero dilation (when my water broke) to "Gotta push NOW" in three hours. The doctor felt like she did not have time to stretch my area so I had a tear and needed stitches. Not sure if checking would have helped or not.

My mum got an infection when pg with my sister from having a sweep and I just hate any kind of vaginal examination and only have ten when I have to such as a smear. I just find them really invasive

When the MW arrived, she checked me. I was about 4, maybe 5. I got in the pool soon after. I started feeling "pushy". I wanted to push, ergo I pushed. Exactly as much as I felt like and was comfy. No checking dilation, no panting or blowing to avoid it. I just went with it. The urge is there for a reason, no? ;)

madasa- yes but because get the urges at the wrong time as said by a few ladies above :)

Why was the urge at the "wrong" time? What harm would come from following this urge? When is the "right" time? Who decides? Based on what? If SO MANY women get these urges at the "wrong" time - is it really wrong? Or is it normal? That was my point :)

Well i was reading this story on here from a midwife and she said the woman was pushing from really early on and it was the WRONG time and the baby ended up being really distressed so it did cause risk to the child. so maybe not usualy but it can be risky pushing too early. and seen as like women have said above some people dont get the feeling when its time to push.. i dont know.

im no doctor or whatever so.. i dont know. all i know is some people dont get the urge to push at all so some checks may be good for some women not for others. thats it really.

Because they are painful, and not needed. And every time someone sticks their fingers into your vagina during labor, you increase the chances of introducing bacteria that does not need to be there. And did I mention at the end, they are excrutiatingly painful. Plus once you learn your body, you will know how far along you are without VE's. Read up on the signs of transition, and trust me, you will know when you are going through transition, and when you are complete. It is amazing how your body will do the same thing. GL!!

I wasnt aware of going through transition but by god i knew when i had to push. My body did it spontaneously.

I had to really, really force pushing. There was no spontaneity to it at all. My contractions were really weak at that point too. I knew I was fully dilated because I'd had my waters broken by the MW to try and ramp up the contractions a bit, I don't know now whether I should have waited until I got the urge or what.

When your body starts pushing - REALLY pushing - there is no way to stop it. Regardless of how dilated you are, or whether someone "official" has given you "permission". It is really quite ludicrous. I'm not a doctor either, but I know you don't seek permission to vomit, you don't seek permission to empty your bowels and you don't seek permission to pull your hand away from something burning hot. These are built-in reflexes, they don't operate on command, for the convenience of people with medical degrees.

It is also normal to not-feel a pushing urge when fully dilated. Some call it the "rest and be thankful" stage. It's Nature's way of giving mothers a rest after the hard work of labour, so she will have the energy to complete the hard work of birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->