why do some people say brought instead of bought?

Haha this thread has made me chuckle in some parts! Spelling doesn't annoy me as such, but the way people say things can either make me laugh or annoy me.

My manager at work refers to the three trimesters of pregnancy as 'semesters':dohh: as in "oh what semester are you in now?":rofl:

People who say 'Maccie D's' or 'Mac D's' annoy me. It has and always will be McDonald's to me! Never understood where the shortened (although it's not really that much shorter when said) version came from.

When I was in primary school there was a girl who used to say 'cirtle'(sir-tle) instead of circle. I use to get so annoyed!

My cousin used to say maffis instead of massive, no matter how much we corrected him!

The mataland thing annoys me too, I think I just have a thing about places being called their proper names, it's the same when people say Asda's instead of Asda, Lidl's instead of Lidl etc... Makes it sound like they're just popping round to a friends house or something:haha:

Since I started seeing DH I've tried really hard not to be such a language nazi.

He struggles with spelling & grammar so now I just grind my teeth quietly when he texts me to say "I love you to" or "I love you two." I realised it was just mean to say "You love me to do what?" or "You love both of us?"

It's been hard though!

Twister... I have to own up to being one of those people who says "Tescos" occasionally!

My ex used to say "thraud" instead of "fraud" which was annoying! Also, when people say they need to "itch" their arm etc... No, you need to SCRATCH, because it is itchy!!

My 4 year old said today " what else did she learn me? "

I nipped that one in the bud straight away!!

One thing I cannot stand is text talk. If I see something written like that I refuse to read it, if people can't be bothered to write it properly then why should I be bothered to try and decipher what they are trying to say. Another little annoyance is the trend for adding loads of letters to a word, I keep seeing looooooool !!! what is that all about ? And for the record, I have never ever used lol ( except for the purpose of this post )

My mIL says weetabex instead of weetabix, salid instead of salad and the-a- ter instead of theatre. Annoying beyond belief.

How do people say the word bath? I say it as its spelt, B a t h,
My DH is always taking the mick out of me for it, he always says it as barth, or barf,
I state were does the R come into it, he says its how its said and I'm wrong!
I have skipped half this thread, but the grammar of some youngsters now really annoy me,

I Am BiG & ClevR cZ I KnT B Buverd To LearN tO TyPe ProPerLY

Or something stupid like that! I have asked for things on buy and sell groups on fb before and had responses typed like that, I always ask for a English translation!

I would pronounce it as "Barth" but it's just accents no one says it the wrong way :)

Oh and the really really really piss me off one is fruit coulis. You pronounce it coo-lay, she says colis.
No matter how many times I ask if she wants fruit coo-lay, she continues to say colis.
I don't know why it winds me up so much.....

How do people say the word bath? I say it as its spelt, B a t h,
My DH is always taking the mick out of me for it, he always says it as barth, or barf,
I state were does the R come into it, he says its how its said and I'm wrong!
I have skipped half this thread, but the grammar of some youngsters now really annoy me,

I Am BiG & ClevR cZ I KnT B Buverd To LearN tO TyPe ProPerLY

Or something stupid like that! I have asked for things on buy and sell groups on fb before and had responses typed like that, I always ask for a English translation!

I would pronounce it as "Barth" but it's just accents no one says it the wrong way :)

I say bath, I'm a Leicester gal! Hubby is from luton, he says Barth!!
There's no 'R' in bath the last time I checked!!

To be honest, I don't even know why we pronounce it as Barth. Just the way I was taught. But same with grass and path there are no "r's" in it so why do we say it like there is....confusing.

My mIL says weetabex instead of weetabix, salid instead of salad and the-a- ter instead of theatre. Annoying beyond belief.

My Mum says weetabex too - whenever my Dad, by brother & I are together & she says it, there's a chorus of "BIX!"

To be honest, I don't even know why we pronounce it as Barth. Just the way I was taught. But same with grass and path there are no "r's" in it so why do we say it like there is....confusing.

Ha!!
It's just accents isn't it...!!

Although 'bath' not 'Barth' is still right.....:haha::haha:

It hasnt got anything to do with 'r's it has to do with every other language having phionemic vowels- an 'a' is actually pronounced 'ar' pretty much anywhere else in the world. English lost it in the great vowel shift, it is like a big round about , (also why aussies 'a' sounds like 'i' and 'i' sounds like'oi' )

My 4 year old said today " what else did she learn me? "

I nipped that one in the bud straight away!!

One thing I cannot stand is text talk. If I see something written like that I refuse to read it, if people can't be bothered to write it properly then why should I be bothered to try and decipher what they are trying to say. Another little annoyance is the trend for adding loads of letters to a word, I keep seeing looooooool !!! what is that all about ? And for the record, I have never ever used lol ( except for the purpose of this post )

looooooool must mean 'laugh out out out out out out out out loud".... :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->