why do some people say brought instead of bought?

People Who Capitalize The First Letter In Every Word On Their Facebook Statuses Really Annoy Me.

I mean aggggh!! How laborious is that?!

The confusion between board and bored really pees me off too. As in, 'I'm so board at work.' Really? Maybe you ought to pick up a dictionary ;)

The other thing that amuses me are people who confuse sideburns with sideboards, although this may be a local thing. It just makes me think of men with pieces of furniture on the side of their heads.

My friend, who I've known since babyhood, has provided me with many a laugh over the years. Along with 'chimdey' and 'skellington,' she calls a kettle a 'keckle,' will sit in the 'miggle' of the sofa and (my favourite), hangs her clothes in the 'wardrove.'

God love her!

I love people that speak like that makes me giggle every time.

I hate really pretentious people who use big words for the sake of using big words but love it when they keep using a word and they obviously don't know what it means. My friend says "what a liberty" all the time and I don't think she knows what it means and my OH's younger brother who is really up himself uses words wrong all the time. I love pointing it out to him because I can't stand arrogance. And he's not very nice about the fact my OH is dyslexic. For instance OH called his brother pretentious once and his brother laughed and said you don't even know what that means the look on his face when OH defined it was priceless. I'd give anything to see that face again lol x

What annoys me even more is when people pick every little spelling or grammar imperfection in a post. As long as it is readable, does it really matter?

I think on a serious note that it does matter to a degree, yes. This country has been shown time and time again to have poor statistics in terms of the amount of people who cannot read and write at the level expected for their age. If people aren't corrected the problem isn't going to get any better...

I am not perfect by any means at all but I do want my child to be able to spell and use grammar correctly. After all, these skills are assessed in exams throughout your whole educational life!

I do agree with the above but it does turn into a bitch fest about people who day make spelling mistakes etc. I wouldnt say it is nice to call people "thick" as described in first few posts on this thread.

I'm one of the thick people who says brought :dohh: lol

Cx

That was in the first few posts, And I agree I didn't like it when I saw it. But there's been plenty of posts since and none of them were to offend anyone and none of them were rude.

xcharx- you're not thick. Plenty of people make this mistake, I've done it even though I do know the difference x

In germany we have the same thing- There is a dialect in the West to South West that say holen instead of kaufen- which is about the same(bringing or taking)(linguistically related to English 'haul' )instead of buying.(or bought)

How do people say the word bath? I say it as its spelt, B a t h,
My DH is always taking the mick out of me for it, he always says it as barth, or barf,
I state were does the R come into it, he says its how its said and I'm wrong!
I have skipped half this thread, but the grammar of some youngsters now really annoy me,

I Am BiG & ClevR cZ I KnT B Buverd To LearN tO TyPe ProPerLY

Or something stupid like that! I have asked for things on buy and sell groups on fb before and had responses typed like that, I always ask for a English translation!

Oh I can's tand this type either- It is fair if the person is just a bad speller (dyslexic) and hasn't got time for spell-check) but I really don't like when people use text speak, or a half arsed thing between textspeak and normal orthography.

Everything else is left to accent ;) Bath in RP(received pronounciation) is /ba:θ)/ and the colon stands for a long vowel. American 'standard' would be /bæθ/ though

Oh god, I've been getting them around the wrong way :dohh:

What annoys me even more is when people pick every little spelling or grammar imperfection in a post. As long as it is readable, does it really matter?

I quite agree with you MF.

If I was someone who had real trouble with spelling and grammar or was dyslexic, i'd be pretty upset to read some of the derogatory comments on this thread, namely the 'thick' comment.

:nope:

I quite agree with you MF.

If I was someone who had real trouble with spelling and grammar or was dyslexic, i'd be pretty upset to read some of the derogatory comments on this thread, namely the 'thick' comment.

:nope:

Completely agree. No need for name calling at all.

Xx

i think it is a shame, and the education system is failing many people if they can't be taught basic grammar. Some things are picked up through local dialect incorrectly, and if a whole area says it the same it can be very difficult for kids who will, more often than not, end up using the local slang

i often read about people buying draws, when actually, they bought (not brought) some drawers

in Dundee people often say they jamp over a wall, no you JUMPED over a wall - but that is really common here - it drives me nuts, and trying to explain to my kids that the other couple of hundred kids in school who say it are wrong, well just urgh

another thing they say here is 'you are not allowed doing that' instead of 'you are not allowed to do that'. You are not allowed swinging on tree, nope you are not allowed TO SWING on the tree

never understood why people call McDonalds mic, its McDonalds, with Mc being the abbreviated from of MAC

I don't mind little spelling errors, but it irks me if there are blatant spelling errors where I have to read a post three times to understand what they mean. Mostly though I keep my mouth shut about that ;)

I'm not the best at using correct grammar. I try my best but far from perfect!

But what does annoy me is when people on my FB who are training to be teachers and teaching assistants can't spell! I know these people aren't dyslexic. I mean I would rather people who are going to be teaching my kids in school can spell! Sometimes they can be the most basics words aswell!

I'm not the best at using correct grammar. I try my best but far from perfect!

But what does annoy me is when people on my FB who are training to be teachers and teaching assistants can't spell! I know these people aren't dyslexic. I mean I would rather people who are going to be teaching my kids in school can spell! Sometimes they can be the most basics words aswell!

I agree! My friend is a teacher and her spelling/grammar is awful, she's even been marked down for it. I wouldn't be happy if she was my child's teacher, friend or not!

Oh I know a case like this too. English teacher(second lingo) but she often makes typos that shouldn't be if she is a teacher .

I do agree with the above but it does turn into a bitch fest about people who day make spelling mistakes etc. I wouldnt say it is nice to call people "thick" as described in first few posts on this thread.

I agree, you also never know if someone has learning difficulties too and can really put your foot in your mouth. My sister has strong learning difficulties (she hides it though so you wouldn't know to speak to her) and people could easily just believe she is 'thick' when she just actually really struggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->