Why do the induce you after 24 hours of your waters breaking?

KAH1990

Reaction score
If you're not progressing and your waters have broken 24 hours previous, why do the insist on inducing you? Why can't they leave you to progress in your own time?

Yep its because once the membrane ruptures there's the chance for infection to get in x

Mainly infection since they're no longer in a protected membrane. I'm not sure if not being in the fluid matters. My water broke and I was induced on petocin. After 24 hrs they put in on an IV in case of infection.

What everyone else said, there's a high risk of infection.

as everyone else has said, it's because the risk of infection to you and baby is higher.

Not sure where you are but I'm in the UK and at your request they will let you go up to max of 72 hours before induction due to risk of infection

My waters broke with my son late monday and I went and got checked and it was confirmed it was my waters. I didn't have any contractions. I asked if I could give it a chance for labour to start naturally. I was booked for induction Thursday morning but went into labour naturally Wednesday night and had him at 6.30am Thursday. I had to monitor my temperarure every few hours and any spike go in and also had to go on monitor the tues and weds for 1 hour to check baby.

In hindsight I think I would choose to be induced sooner should this happen again as h was given antibiotics in case of infection (they did blood cultures but they take a day or 2 to come back so thy start the AB straight away to get a head start) I can't remember if this was solely because of my waters or because he had other issues. )
I don't feel the implications were explained properly to me about waiting
He was absolutely fine. No infection etc in the end

Hope that makes sens and I didn't rabble on too much. It 2am here and I can't sleep

I know here they will induce if your waters go after 34 weeks. If they go before they will leave you until 34 weeks then induce.
It is because of infection as amniotic fluid is completely sterile.

As everyone else mentioned, it's due to the risk of infection. Once the waters break, it's very easy for the now non-sterile and open to the outside world uterus to become colonized with every bacteria that usually lives happily in one's genital region, as there is no working barrier. And, uhm, due to the nature of the region, we are talking about lots and lots of bacteria.

Check out nice guidelines your able to decline and wait. Some women have wait past 92hrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->