Why do they ask about breastfeeding at jab appointment?

A

asacia

Just wondered if anyone knew why they ask if you are breastfeeding at the jab appoinments?

I don't know and have often wondered why. I only BF for 2 weeks and dread having to say 'no' to that question each time!

Aisling had her last set of jabs today and I wondered about that too, I'd be interested to know.

Maybe it's to do with antibodies because they get some from you? Or maybe it's because the jabs are at a set number of weeks and so they use it for government statistics so they can do the whole "at 10 weeks x % of babies are breastfed"

I'd imagine it's simply for statistics. It's a quick and easy way to get an answer from the majority of parents, some of whom might not turn up to clinics or respond to surveys.

ooh on my first they asked and then told me to position her to feed as they gave the jab for comfort, it settles babies quicker....

dont know if thats the real reason they ask but it was a very good tip lol

I didn't think about it being for statistics but that does make sense. I was asked the first time I went to the pediatrician, than as she knew I was FF she never asked again. But when we changed physicians after I moved it was one of the first questions I was asked, and than he asked again for her 12 months shots (though I'd assumed it was to see if I'd changed over to whole milk)

I'm not 100% sure why, but I had the same as sezzlebum. They asked me to put Toria rdy for a feed and latch her on straight afterwards, it is an excellent way of pacifying them after there jabs, would definatly recommend it.

Ooh I'll have to remember that one.

Ive never been asked, infact I remember the second time straight after he'd been given his jabs, I said to the nurse thank god ive got a bottle to give him as its stops him crying and she said in a really catty tone, most mothers like to breastfeed not give a bottle.

So I said well I don't fancy breastfeeding in the waiting room with a load of sick people which is why ive EXPRESSED some milk.

She didn't know how I was feeding him until I said at the end about the bottle so if id not mentioned it she'd never of known. Felt like smacking her in the mouth !

The other times Ive always brought up bf first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->