why is it inappropriate?

T

tinytoes

Hi Ladies,
I've been out of BnB action for a while after a few disagreements but today I need your help - I need to rant before I pop. Can I?...just this once?

Chatting to MIL today and she said that FIL was breastfed until he was 9 months "..but that was in war time.." - therefore suggesting 9 months is too long ....my LO is over 9 months and we're still going strong on the bfing front. He doesnt like formula and loves breastfeeding. And I love feeding him.

Why do people find it inappropriate to feed a baby once it's not a tiny newborn anymore? already I feel unable to feed my LO in public in case it offends people. When he was tiny I was super confident.

Grrr.......I'm annoyed.

Thanks for listening to a ranting tinytoes.

Unfortunately I think it's a cultural thing. Personally I couldnt give a rats arse if people think it's inappropriate - it's non of their business....

Here are some sensible ways of responding.....

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/criticism.html

I also have some silly ones if you're interested..... :winkwink:

Why indeed. People always feel free to put their two penneth in when it comes to most aspects of raising babies.

Feeding in public has never really bothered me but I must say (and I hate to even admit this) that since Poppy has got bigger, I am starting to feel that people are thinking that she is somewhat "old" to be breastfed. However, I am NOT going to let these feelings stop me from feeding her in public.

I never get that either, I mean why would you take them off breastmilk to put them on something not as good? Even if you nurse until a year, they have to be on somekind of milk, why not be the best milk possible? Hayden nursed until 18mo when he self weaned, I never really had anyone say anything, I think they know better lol. I nursed him in public until about 14-15mo because by then he had cut himself down to right before bed and first thing in the morning so we just werent out at the time, I never caed what anyone thought lol

Ive never heard anyone say bfing a 9 month old was innapropriate, but i've heard people say getting onto 2 years is unecessary.

The word 'unnecessary' always gets me......there are very few things in life that are actually 'necessary' outside of breathing, eating and sleeping......everything else makes life more than a mere 'existance'.....music, art, conversation, laughing etc....it's not necessary to be a member of a forum but we are....so people should be allowed to decide what THEY believe is necessary to them.

I totally agree with you Mervs Mum:baby:

Pass. People can be so judgemental. I think we just need to take it with a pinch of salt. You're happy, your boy is happy. Stuff everyone else :hugs:

I know how you feel, my parents are extremely pro-breastfeeding but even they started to ask me "are you STILL feeding him?" when Aaron was nearly a year old. Actually I just let them assume that I was gradually weaning him, I don't think they realise that I am still breastfeeding. :blush:

It's silly, the World Health Organisation recommends breastfeeding until the age of two and toddlers still need to have milk in their diet, so why on earth do people think that I should stop breastfeeding after a year? Grrr!

When I BF'd my daughter I was told that I needed to stop when she was around 5 months. I stressed about it and it took a month and a half to wean her off the boob. It did make sense their theory that what if something happened to me and that it would be hard to feed her without her mommy. Still, I felt like I was stressed into it to say the least, and it was my first child. How long I should breastfeed never occurred to me.

As for my son, yep, I went 3 years. Truly, it was a bit long. Yes, the last year of it was more when he wanted comfort for a nap or nighttime so it wasn't full time breastfeeding. And still I can see the faces even now...OMG, you breastfed him that long.

Honestly, it is up to you how to feed your baby and for how long to breastfeed. Feeding is such a huge topic of conversation and your damned if you do and damned if you don't feed one way or the other, breastfeed for less than 2 weeks, longer than 9 months, etc.

:hugs: Do what is best for you and your child. I agree completely with MM's post. :hugs:

hi ladies

Just saw the post and wanted to say my son didnt ween untill he was 3yrs and

l got an awful lot of slack about it....l think l would still be BF if l didnt want

another baby..:hugs:

I still will never understadn why its "nessecery " to BF a new born but "unnessecery" to feed a baby over 6 months lol makes no sense to me ..

BF for as long as you want and can :)

I think you know yourself how long to BF and its your decision i dont care what people say i'm going to feed Tabitha until she wants to stop or i do :)

Well, we're in wartime now AND in a recession, so you trump her :smug:

I'm actually suprised that someone said it is unnecessary to bf at 9 months. I get praised for it all the time. People just can't believe that I have kept it up this long. Don't listen to what people say. You do what is right for you and your baby. Breast milk is so much better than formula (and cheaper) so if you can still supply it, then keep on going. Doing it in public is a matter of choice. Where I live, I can actually say I have not seen a woman breast feed in public. I'm a nursing mother but it's my preference to breast feed at home or in private (I'm very modest and don't like people staring). When we go out, I pump bottles before we go and feed Peyton that way.

I only plan on breast feeding for a year, some women have gone past that, but I don't know for how much longer. You're doing great though and your giving your baby excellent nutrients. Good up the good work. :thumbup:

i don't know why it's socailly unacceptable after a certain age. Infact the oh and i have been discussing this just recently! we plan on doing it as long as required.

Good for you TT, breastfeeding for nearly a year is brilliant! I would like to continue breastfeeding until Tristan is a year old (that is, if Tristan stops his new teeth chewing my nipple thing!).

Like others, I am actually quite surprised that you would get negative comments breastfeeding at nine months - a year. A lot of the older generation do get a bit embarrassed when they see nursing mothers though. It is probably just a generational thing. Stick by your beliefs!

xxx

is it nell mcandrew that still breastfeeds and her baby is about 3 years old?

:rofl: jus disccusing this thread with my oh when he informs me a past king of spain bf until he was 9 :rofl: :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->