Why?

PrayerfulHope

Mom of 2
Reaction score
:flower:Hello lovely lucky pregnant ladies :hugs:

Just wondering why they (whoever "they" are) say not to eat deli meat when pregnant? :shrug:

Don't know how it was prepared so might get food sickiness which isn't good for baby :)

you still can just as long as its warmed to steaming tempature. They would prefer you not to eat cold deli meats because a small risk of a form of food poisoning. So they would have you rather just avoid it. But if heated to steaming they say its safe. :)

:hugs:

From what I have read deli meat can carry a bacteria that could cause a mc. But if you heat the deli meat till it's steaming than that bacteria is killed. I put a link on here that explains it in a little more detail.

https://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-eat-deli-meats-when-im-pregnant_1246923.bc

So as long as deli meats are cooked thoroughly they are perfectly safe to eat! I used to eat a sandwich everyday but now I am more careful, I eat more chicken and heat the meat really well if I want to have a sandwich with deli meats.

Thanks for the answers girls! And congratulations on your BFP's and pregnancies. :hugs:

Thanks for the link. I knew you weren't supposed to eat deli meats but didn't know the exact reason. Now I know!

what about ham or bacon or other types they put on pizza ?....is that ok ? do you all mean because its cooked its safe? i had pizza yesterday when we went out with some friends i enjoyed it so much but as we where going home it hit me.... i then remembered how we shouldn't be eating any kinda deli meets ...:dohh: i hope like you say cooked is safe..... so i am guessing no more sandwiches right?

Bacon i fine becasue you have to cook it before eating it - well beyond just steaming. I am thinking Pepperoni on pizza is likely safe as well - pizzas are made in 800 degree ovens surely enough to bring the meat to steaming temperature. Another lady i know wouldn't touch anything to avoid the risk altogether.

I live in Canada and we have just a big recall at a major processing plant last year so I am likely more vigilent about it.

Don't forget that Listeria is present in soil as well so wash fruit and veg with soap very well and avoid soft ice cream for the same reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->