Wiley/Wylie...does anyone like it?

RandaPanda

Reaction score
Hi!

I posted this name as part of a baby boy name poll, and it hasn't received any votes compared to the other, more traditional boy names we're considering, but does ANYONE like it? Please be kind and only post constructive comments :)

The reason we are considering it is because it's the Scottish (DH's background) diminutive of William (my grandfather's name) and we actually think it sounds cute and not common or trendy. But I also think it's so close to the common Riley, and just sounds like someone can't pronounce it :haha:

His name would probably be Wiley James MacDougall

I do like the name but the spelling is odd... I saw it on tv the other week and me and OH both though it look too much like it would pronounce it like Willy instead of why-lee

Makes me think of Wiley Coyote from the roadrunner cartoons. I'd be prepared for it to be mispronounced as Willy. For me, it brings up the same conotations as sly, slick, or being shady.

I do think of the coyote to be honest! First thoughts. It's not that it is a bad sounding name, but it probably does sound like it runs the risk of being mispronounced. :( Nothing I dislike more than that!

I first read this as willy. Maybe ok as a nickname?

I don't think it's a bad name, but the first thing I think of is Miley (as in Miley Cyrus). If a name reminds me of a person that I'm not a fan of, I'm automatically off-put by the name

I like it :). I prefer the spelling Wylie but I'd know how to pronounce Wiley too. Another name which comes to mind is Wallace, it is Scottish in origin (at least as far as I know!) and has the same sort of feel as Wiley I think.

I knew that it would be pronounced Wiley (why-lie) and I think most would. Although the mistake with Willy is too obvious and easy especially at school and that would make me personally avoid it. I love the spelling Wylie like PP said - that would solve the issue in my mind as it's otherwise a nice name! X

It sounds like Riley pronounced incorrectly to me, and that's a huge turn off. Also thought of the coyote too.
Wesley is a lovely name that's not too common!!

ETA: Wyatt is another option!!

Thanks for your input so far! At first, I wasn't sure about spelling it "Wylie" because it seemed a bit more feminine than the "Wiley" spelling. But once I made the Miley Cyrus connection too, I'm back to preferring Wylie. And I really don't want people to call him Willy...it's one of the reasons we aren't as inclined to name him William, as I know some family will call him Willy if we do.

I know it's not a conventional name, but I'm trying to think about it in the long term. Riley was once considered fairly unknown, and many people preferred something like Ryan, but now it's well accepted. My hope is that, if we name him Wylie, the name will start to seem less weird to the people we know as they get to know the baby. It's the only non-traditional name we're considering, but I keep coming back to it and I really like the family connection.

More opinions welcome :)

My friend named her son William, and they call him Will - which I think is a very cool nickname. Initially a few family members called him "Willy" but she asked them not to - and they stopped. He is now 5, and no one calls him Willy.

I personally love the name William with the nickname "Liam" - Have you considered that?

I can see where you're going with Wylie (prefer this spelling) - I agree he can "own" the name and it will grow on ppl as being cool & unique. My only hesitation is that Wile E Coyote is named that bc he is fast, slick, sly, sneaky - so the word/name "wiley" is associated with those characteristics.

Thanks for your input so far! At first, I wasn't sure about spelling it "Wylie" because it seemed a bit more feminine than the "Wiley" spelling. But once I made the Miley Cyrus connection too, I'm back to preferring Wylie. And I really don't want people to call him Willy...it's one of the reasons we aren't as inclined to name him William, as I know some family will call him Willy if we do.

I know it's not a conventional name, but I'm trying to think about it in the long term. Riley was once considered fairly unknown, and many people preferred something like Ryan, but now it's well accepted. My hope is that, if we name him Wylie, the name will start to seem less weird to the people we know as they get to know the baby. It's the only non-traditional name we're considering, but I keep coming back to it and I really like the family connection.

More opinions welcome :)

This will definitely happen :thumbup: No matter how weird a name first seems once you know the person, you just think of them when you hear the name and not of how weird it is. I went to an international school as a kid and there were people from all over the world. There was a Cowshie, a Sheibilini, Din just to mention a few. Their names never seemed weird to me at the time, it was just them.

I first thought of Wiley Coyote, but now am questioning if it's really supposed to be Willy with a creative spelling. I'll read the replies now, I just wanted to post my first impression.

I didn't know how to pronounce it and it looked, like a pp said, like a creative/wrong/fake spelling of Willie. I'm not a fan of Wylie either, they both just look wrong to me spelling-wise.

First thought was "coyote", second thought was Jonathan Ross saying "Riley"... Now after about 5 minutes getting used to it I really like it, especially the Wylie spelling. It would never occur to me to pronounce it as Willy, that wouldn't make sense to me.

My first thought was also that it sounds like someone who can't pronounce 'Riley'. Sorry, I'm really not keen. I do think the spelling 'Wylie' looks a bit better but that might just be because I know a doctor with that surname so I'm used to it lol.

I really appreciate all the comments...even the not so positive ones :)

I am surprised that some people would confuse it with Willy though...especially the Wylie spelling. Unlike some of the more "creative" names these days (think extra Ys and silent Ks!) Wylie/Wiley is an actual name in its own right, and with some history, like the aviator Wiley Post who was the first man to fly solo around the world...it's just not well known or used since the late 1800s. Although the adjective "Wily" or the character Wile E. Coyote will initially come to mind for some, it doesn't have totally negative connotations...it can mean smart, astute, clever, sharp-witted, etc. so I'm trying to focus on that :)

Even with the votes against it (including my mom!) I'm not deterred yet. I dug out an old list of baby names I had started about a decade ago and had tucked into an old recipe book, and saw that I had put it on there too! I love that it connects with DHs Scottish heritage, is a unique variant of my grandfather's name, is a nod to an historical figure and world traveler (DH and I have a serious love of travel and adventure!) and I think it just sounds cute and a little mischievous :)

Our other front runner is Charlie, which I know is the safer bet and will be better received. I do still have a few months to decide, I suppose.

Thanks for your thoughts so far, ladies...especially those who are willing to give it a chance :flower:

I don't think you'd have a problem with people reading it as 'Willy'. If you were thinking of the spelling 'Willey' then yeah....I could see that lol.

I love it :) I used to babysit a boy named Wylie a long time ago. He sure suited the name!

He also went by "Wyles" for a long time.

It's cute. DO IT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->